What is an appropriate stan age?

Production_101

These stan groups feature people kid aged all the way up to millenials and older. Its bizarre for a 12 year old to be debating a 30something about chart stats and throwing insults and shady memes but thats the age were living in

I'm 23 and have been a stan since the age of like.. 12? Back then my parents thought I was just a little girl going crazy over "heartthrobs" but it's been going on for over a decade at this point :rip: I don't think I'll always want/have the time to be involved in stan culture but I don't think I'll suddenly stop liking music and pop culture either 

Whats the difference between been a fan and a stan?

I think being a fan of something is appropriate for all ages, if a 50 year old told me they’re a huge fan of an artist and collect their CDs and watch them on tour I would not find it weird. But being a “stan” who uses multiple channels of social media to talk about an artist and argue with others all day and is just obsessed with that artist with their stanning making up a huge chunk of their personality…I think that’s childish behaviour that should be gone by mid-20s max.

15 minutes ago, Delirious said:

Whats the difference between been a fan and a stan?

Fan: Think about someone you know IRL who is a fan of someone but doesn’t really have a stan account or talk about them 24/7.

Stan: PopCrave replies and quotes.

honestly I feel like 16-25ish is an OK stan age. Once you get in the 26, 27, 28, etc. range and you’re online arguing with 16 year olds about how much someone sold, etc. it starts getting a bit weird. By the time you hit your late 20s you still admire your favorite artists but you realize they’re not perfect, they don’t know you exist and you’ve developed your own life that you need to be more focused rather than arguing about who had the better music video or VMA performance 7+ years ago.

14 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

I think being a fan of something is appropriate for all ages, if a 50 year old told me they’re a huge fan of an artist and collect their CDs and watch them on tour I would not find it weird. But being a “stan” who uses multiple channels of social media to talk about an artist and argue with others all day and is just obsessed with that artist with their stanning making up a huge chunk of their personality…I think that’s childish behaviour that should be gone by mid-20s max.

agreed. i think its cuz ppl see these celebs, athletes, video games, movies, etc as extensions of themselves so by insulting it you are insulting them. its big weirdo energy :toofunny3:

24 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

Fan: Think about someone you know IRL who is a fan of someone but doesn’t really have a stan account or talk about them 24/7.

Stan: PopCrave replies and quotes.

This is not true. Fan-stan is wider “umbrella”. I’m a stan of multiple artist and don’t even use Twitter for that, let alone follow PopCrave. People replying “we won’t be streaming” to an artist they hate isn’t being a stan, that’s being a stupid dumbass.

None. If you live your life through someone else's life - you need help. If you feel happiness when somebody is having bad time - you need help. If your are having fun while attacking and fight people online - that's right - you need help. That's not healthy way to live your life. Stan culture needs to die because it's producing individuals who can't deal with the real world. So, yeah, there is no appropriate "stan" age for me. Be a fan to someone's music, don't stan some weird numbers.

Depends how you define it :mandown:

If it means being excited for your fave's music, attending tours, discussing their music with your (twitter) friends and checking the charts every now and then - every age is good.

If it means being obsessed with charts, engaging in pathetic atrl/twitter stan wars and spending tons of money on merchendise and CDs - seek help if you're older than 16 and are still doing that

Edited by aaron511

1 hour ago, aaron511 said:

Depends how you define it :mandown:

If it means being excited for your fave's music, attending tours, discussing their music with your (twitter) friends and checking the charts every now and then - every age is good.

If it means being obsessed with charts, engaging in pathetic atrl/twitter stan wars and spending tons of money on merchendise and CDs - seek help if you're older than 16 and are still doing that

:cm:

Stanning past the age of 20 is sad. Like you’re online arguing with a minor at your adult age. 

There isn't. Im 30 and a hard core stan for allday & Denis (atm mainly allday since you can see that's all I talk about even in real life)

But that's my autistic side. I always obessesed over something or someone. Have my entire life and I guess that is stanning in a way 

however I don't really go dragging other peoples faves! Tom doesn't even chart and 99% of ATRL probably haven't heard his music. my stanning is just I talk & listen to him 60% of the time and if threads say Your Fave? of course I'm gonna respond with Allday considering he is my main fave (well after denis stoff) though i've died down on the denis stoff stanning atm. 

stanning as going on about charts, saying there fave is a GOD and saying all the other people we listen too is trash because they haven't had as many #1s kinda stanning is immature at any age. 

Stannism is gold for music industry.

They love created celebrities and build fanbases... They love seeing people who would do anything to support their fave. They want us to buy all her/his albums, several formats, renditions, goodies, ugly sweatshirts, meet and greet, multiple concert seats, make up even thought you don't wear it, perfumes even you don't wear it....

It's totally normal as a teen you need to identity yourself to some "god like built" entities that makes you feel special.

As growing older, it's becoming very concerning.

Madonna is a good example. She releases auto-tunes fart recorded in her bathroom and some still think it's iconic. And when you put the sad reality, the obsessed fan would fight for anything claiming Madonna can do whatever she is cause she's Madonna.

The job is done, the product doesn't have to try to sound arty anymore cause the stan has fully understood the program.

Enjoy the music, it's entertainment after all, but don't fall into the worship state, this is what society wants you to do.

There’s no such thing.

I’ve seen sports stans that are in their 80s.

K bye for now, Sunshine. <3

Once you actually become an adult it’s just a way of life. No one cares what you stan. If you enjoy an artist and thier achievements, your still a fan at the end of the day. 

It’s like being on a forum all day, or twitter ranting about celebrities and Stars. Everyone on here does exactly that. Even the comments in this thread of actual adults trying to act mature about this topic, when in reality they are on twitter right now arguing with other Stan’s several years younger.??

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

14 hours ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

Not you describing Lambs on Twitter here :coffee:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.