The Last of Us | S1 | Out now, S2 coming in 2025

Hephaestus

So we went through the entire season only for 

Spoiler

Joel to backtrack at the last second and miraculously kill all the firefly agents?

Chile anyways so.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrecked

• The Last of Us

• Hephaestus

• bjorn

18 minutes ago, Weld_E said:

Reveal hidden contents

Joel to backtrack at the last second and miraculously kill all the firefly agents?

Chile anyways so.

lol that was so... :skull: 

one of those awkward moments where the gameplay didn't translate eloquently.

55 minutes ago, Weld_E said:

Hide contents

Chile anyways so.

Spoiler

Because no one told him that the Fireflies would kill Ellie, my sweet bestie 

18 hours ago, Wrecked said:

Well, like the article explains, Bella was 17 when they started recording the series and she’s now currently 19 which is the same age as Ellie was in Part II. She’ll also be a little older than 19 by the time they start filming. It’s also mentioned how hair, makeup and wardrobe can change the way somebody looks. I think they purposely made her look younger in the show so that she could come across as being 14. I’m sure once we see her in action, it’ll be great. 

You also have to remember that they aged Pedro down in flashbacks and aged him up in the present day scenes. He looks different outside of the show. 

It was a great and plausible way of showing why Ellie was immune. I’m also glad that she actually said that she had to kill Riley, because although I thought that was abundantly clear, I’ve seen some YouTube reactors confused as to what happened to her because they didn’t actually show it. 

I think a lot of people in Joel’s position would have attempted suicide, imagine losing your only child at the same time the entire world goes to ****. It also added more weight to his speech at the end about finding something to fight for. God, I’m not ready for S2. :gaycat6:

Yeah people are trying to make this argument that she really is 19 but the thing is that she looks SO young. How is she gonna fight Abby the hulk? :deadbanana: Ellie looked completely different in part 2 than part 1. Obviously it doesnt have to be exact but i feel like its gonna be a little awkward. Either way I know she will do incredible just like she did this season. :worship2:

Edited by Helios

3 hours ago, BNF91 said:

I can totally see season 2 expanding heavily on Joel and Ellie's life in Jackson before you know what. Giving Dina more intro. I think they'll have season end with 

Reveal hidden contents

Joel's death

Then have season 3 be 

Reveal hidden contents

Abby Vs Ellie and all that fallout

Perfect set up for a Part 3 PS5 2028 and Season 4/5

That would be a LOT of expanding for the first hour of the game :deadbanana2:

Probably my least fav ep of the season...

they dropped the ball on Joel's lil rampage imo - really didn't build up to it well or emphasis the horror, making it a montage was the wrong choice idk...whole thing felt far too choreographed, there was no sense of the Fireflies fighting back etc.

that said the final scene/final shot gave me CHILLS 

Resounding takeaway from this season is that Bella is a legit revelation and TLOU II is going to BODY.

Perched for Abby :WAP:

Im speachless with the entire season :jonny5:

The way I basically suffer all episodes :weeps:

3 hours ago, ptolemaea said:

lol that was so... :skull: 

one of those awkward moments where the gameplay didn't translate eloquently.

To be fair, from what I’ve seen and been told, the ending of the game was also met with mixed feelings. 

I love the ending, especially the final scene with Ellie and Joel. The trust is broken, Joel has to reckon with what he did and Ellie isn’t able to process her trauma. It leaves the characters off perfectly for a second season arc.

Edited by ChapelHooker

5 hours ago, Helios said:

Yeah people are trying to make this argument that she really is 19 but the thing is that she looks SO young. How is she gonna fight Abby the hulk? :deadbanana: Ellie looked completely different in part 2 than part 1. Obviously it doesnt have to be exact but i feel like its gonna be a little awkward. Either way I know she will do incredible just like she did this season. :worship2:

I think she looks younger in S1 than she does out of the show and like Craig was saying, makeup, hair and wardrobe can do wonders. I always try to put faith in the creators for this type of stuff as you see so many people judging things online and then falling in love with the final product. When the casting first dropped for TLOU I saw a lot of people slating Pedro and Bella and then as soon as the show was here, they were both getting praised for their roles. So I'm reserving judgement until S2 is airing. At this point in time, Craig, Neil and Bella have given me no reason to doubt their vision. 

Spoiler

We also haven't seen who's been cast as Abby yet and if they're going to be as buff as the game counterpart. 

There's rumours that Shannon Berry will be playing her. 

spacer.png

Amazon UK lists the first series as being released on Blu-ray/4K on 17th July.

Blu-ray:

spacer.png

4K: 

spacer.png

4K Steelbook:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Wrecked said:

I think she looks younger in S1 than she does out of the show and like Craig was saying, makeup, hair and wardrobe can do wonders. I always try to put faith in the creators for this type of stuff as you see so many people judging things online and then falling in love with the final product. When the casting first dropped for TLOU I saw a lot of people slating Pedro and Bella and then as soon as the show was here, they were both getting praised for their roles. So I'm reserving judgement until S2 is airing. At this point in time, Craig, Neil and Bella have given me no reason to doubt their vision. 

Reveal hidden contents

We also haven't seen who's been cast as Abby yet and if they're going to be as buff as the game counterpart. 

There's rumours that Shannon Berry will be playing her. 

spacer.png

I dont know if you watch any of the easter egg videos for the shows but apparently Abby was running out of the hospital hallway when joel was on his rampage and she looked huge. Just imagining Ellie fighting someone that size has me screaming. :ahh: I do have confidence that if Bella stays they will cast someone appropriate for Abby I just dont see Bella growing that much in a year. :dies: 

They better LOCK DOWN the Instagram, Facebook, twitter accounts of the actress who will play Abby a MONTH before they make the announcement, because...:deadbanana:

Anyways. I can't believe I forgot that Merle Dandridge still got it. She played one of the BEST characters ever in gaming wellll before TLoU was ever a thing :worship2:

24 minutes ago, Helios said:

I dont know if you watch any of the easter egg videos for the shows but apparently Abby was running out of the hospital hallway when joel was on his rampage and she looked huge. Just imagining Ellie fighting someone that size has me screaming. :ahh: I do have confidence that if Bella stays they will cast someone appropriate for Abby I just dont see Bella growing that much in a year. :dies: 

Remember to put things regarding Part II in spoiler tags as not everybody in this thread has played the games. 

Spoiler

Bella isn’t going to have some sort of growth spurt before they start filming, but I don’t think she has to be the same height as Abby and if anything, it will make the Ellie and Abby stuff more intense as Abby is supposed to be more intimidating in physique than Ellie, so if she’s not going to be as buff, as least she’ll be taller than Ellie.

Part II being adapted is going to be wild. I can’t wait for the reactions. :gaycat6:

I'm scared to click on spoiler tags because I can't tell if y'all are discussing the first season or about season 2 :deadbanana2:

Either way I kinda loved the final shot for S1. It was haunting and I'm excited to see where it goes from here knowing that the trust between them has been broken 

Would have to write a novel on this elaborating what I would've done differently in each episode. A faithful, solid and good translation to screen but the original format still trumps it massively and there were some parts where I did not feel that they've improved the story witht the choices they made. For the most part, it felt like they just skimmed through the different sets from the game from time to time and the show itself could've used a good 2-4 more episodes to develop the relationship between Tess and Joel (Tess's death was still a massive letdown), Ellie and Joel (the ending felt unearned) and such.

The most glaring and obvious difference is perhaps the level of tension in the game vs in the show. Obviously you will feel more threatened in a game that you're actually playing from the lead character's POV but, with the exception of the Prologue and Winter Episode, the tense atmosphere of the world was almost non-existent. Both from the human side and very much so from the infected side. As for the latter, I have a hard time grasping what the average, non-player viewer might think of the scale of the infected issue. It almost seemed like a non-issue for most of the season. I know, I know, humans are the real enemies but the game did a perfect balancing act of keeping you on the edge of your seat from both ends. Even the tension from the human side is not that great sometimes, particulary the violent montage of the ending. The game had you by your throat gasping for air, meanwhile the show had some scenes cutting rapidly for 1 minute :skull:

As for the acting, Pedro Pascal nailed it. Bit undecided on Bella, her characterization of Ellie is (obviously) different from the game and the game gives such a perfect example. Hers' even felt cringe at times. Anna Torv was definitely a standout as well with Merle Dandridge.

Obviously, there were some great parts that were as good, or even improved from the game:

- Episode 1 was a highlight (though the immunity reveal was a bit lame)

- Episode 3 was an obviously better story than the game even if the set design of Bill's area in the game trumps the show's

- Episode 8 was masterfully directed, even if they could've gone a bit more tense with like 4-6 additional minutes

- Original bits deepening the lore (Jakarta scene, Anna scene - whew Ashley Johnson you will always be famous)

12 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Anyways. I can't believe I forgot that Merle Dandridge still got it. She played one of the BEST characters ever in gaming wellll before TLoU was ever a thing :worship2:

Who?

4 minutes ago, Desire said:

I'm scared to click on spoiler tags because I can't tell if y'all are discussing the first season or about season 2 :deadbanana2:

Either way I kinda loved the final shot for S1. It was haunting and I'm excited to see where it goes from here knowing that the trust between them has been broken 

Most of my spoiler tags are because I’m discussing Part II, but I’ll start putting a disclaimer before them just so it’s obvious. I don’t really put things from S1 in spoiler tags because I don’t know why people would be in here reading people discussing the show if they haven’t seen episodes yet. :gaycat6:

Keep it cute with the Abby discussions, people who only watch the TV series don't even know who that is :dies:

1 minute ago, Wrecked said:

Most of my spoiler tags are because I’m discussing Part II, but I’ll start putting a disclaimer before them just so it’s obvious. I don’t really put things from S1 in spoiler tags because I don’t know why people would be in here reading people discussing the show if they haven’t seen episodes yet. :gaycat6:

I assume most would be for Part II but I know from other show threads that people like to ***** about contents from the previously aired episode be put in spoiler tags (which never made sense to me because yeah why enter if you haven't seen the episode yet) either way I appreciate it :hug: 

3 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Keep it cute with the Abby discussions, people who only watch the TV series don't even know who that is :dies:

I’m saying! 

3 minutes ago, Desire said:

I assume most would be for Part II but I know from other show threads that people like to ***** about contents from the previously aired episode be put in spoiler tags (which never made sense to me because yeah why enter if you haven't seen the episode yet) either way I appreciate it :hug: 

I’ve always just assumed that spoiler tags should be used whilst discussing future content, if you know a new episode airs on a Sunday night, you can’t come in here on Monday and be surprised that people are talking about the new episode. 

I don’t want people being spoiled for Part II though, so people need to remember that even discussing a character from that game could be classed as a spoiler. :gaycat6:

Edited by Wrecked

I’d also recommend that for anybody who hasn’t played Part II and doesn’t want to be spoiled about upcoming storylines to be very mindful of what you’re looking at / searching for on social media when it comes to TLOU. There’s a lot of people posting huge spoilers in the replies to certain posts just to be dicks. 

14 minutes ago, Liafen said:

Would have to write a novel on this elaborating what I would've done differently in each episode. A faithful, solid and good translation to screen but the original format still trumps it massively and there were some parts where I did not feel that they've improved the story witht the choices they made. For the most part, it felt like they just skimmed through the different sets from the game from time to time and the show itself could've used a good 2-4 more episodes to develop the relationship between Tess and Joel (Tess's death was still a massive letdown), Ellie and Joel (the ending felt unearned) and such.

The most glaring and obvious difference is perhaps the level of tension in the game vs in the show. Obviously you will feel more threatened in a game that you're actually playing from the lead character's POV but, with the exception of the Prologue and Winter Episode, the tense atmosphere of the world was almost non-existent. Both from the human side and very much so from the infected side. As for the latter, I have a hard time grasping what the average, non-player viewer might think of the scale of the infected issue. It almost seemed like a non-issue for most of the season. I know, I know, humans are the real enemies but the game did a perfect balancing act of keeping you on the edge of your seat from both ends. Even the tension from the human side is not that great sometimes, particulary the violent montage of the ending. The game had you by your throat gasping for air, meanwhile the show had some scenes cutting rapidly for 1 minute :skull:

As for the acting, Pedro Pascal nailed it. Bit undecided on Bella, her characterization of Ellie is (obviously) different from the game and the game gives such a perfect example. Hers' even felt cringe at times. Anna Torv was definitely a standout as well with Merle Dandridge.

Obviously, there were some great parts that were as good, or even improved from the game:

- Episode 1 was a highlight (though the immunity reveal was a bit lame)

- Episode 3 was an obviously better story than the game even if the set design of Bill's area in the game trumps the show's

- Episode 8 was masterfully directed, even if they could've gone a bit more tense with like 4-6 additional minutes

- Original bits deepening the lore (Jakarta scene, Anna scene - whew Ashley Johnson you will always be famous)

Spilled. Although I love this adaptation and it's even better than the games in certain aspects, not admitting that it could've been way better if they had more time and money would be a lie.

I, for one, will never get over the way they drastically changed how the fungus spreads (and works in general) because they singlehandedly removed the uniqueness of this infection and made it look just like any other "zombie virus" or whatever. Let me not bring back these thoughts again, I actively tried to repress and forget them since E2.

25 minutes ago, Liafen said:

Who?

Alyx Vance.

She was unfortunately not called back for Half Life: Alyx (because well, that game is a prequel to Half Life 2 - acknowledged as literally one of, if not THE best PC games of all time - and they needed a younger voice. I was upset though because she was beloved in that role.

Also. I feel like this is a good discussion to be had (and one I VASTLY prefer to "why are game adaptations so shitty?") so getting here is a miracle in itself, but...

There isn't a series in the world, which, even when adapted excellently for TV (much less movie), would trump the characterization or impact of gaming.

There is always SO much going on in long narrative driven games, that frankly, trying to catch up to it is a lost cause. The flavour text. The contextual dialogue. The dialogue trees. The list goes on...

I see a lot of people upset about Tess and how quickly that panned out, but well, they simply did not have a choice.

My point is even if you give them 4 more episodes - 5, 6, whatever - it'll come up short. Hell the fact they were able to compress David AND Riley into one episode each itself is like, a feat of endurance :deadbanana:

10 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Spilled. Although I love this adaptation and it's even better than the games in certain aspects, not admitting that it could've been way better if they had more time and money would be a lie.

I, for one, will never get over the way they drastically changed how the fungus spreads (and works in general) because they singlehandedly removed the uniqueness of this infection and made it look just like any other "zombie virus" or whatever. Let me not bring back these thoughts again, I actively tried to repress and forget them since E2.

Yeah, that too - but what irks me the most about the infected is their almost non-existence. :deadbanana4: And the Stranger Thingsification of the 'hive mind'. Spores were also greatly missed, I understand their reasoning of how it works as an in-game environment but not in the real world (though I haven't thought about it as an issue, not even once when I played the games). It really added to the claustrophobic, tense feeling of the world which ultimately got lost in translation. 

Apart from these things, maybe Joel's injury is one of the letdowns. That moment was such a masterfully written and directed sequence in the game, yet the whole university bit is maybe just 4 minutes in the show just to service the cliffhanger that worked so much better in its original form. Starting the next ep showing Joel alive was a mistake aswell. Ugh the panic and horror of you watching a bunny get killed and then chasing a deer without knowing the result of that injury... Man, they really missed the mark on the most tense moments of the game (including the hospital sequence). 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.