Is the 2020s the worst decade for film?

zaso

7 hours ago, PoisonCandy said:

It has nothing to do with growing up. Marvel films used to be legitimately good, no matter what your age was. Iron Man, Captain America, The Winter Soldier, The Avengers, Cival War, Thor were all fantastic and still hold up after all these years. The franchise took a bit of a turn around the mid-late 2010's. I think they saw how "meme-able" all of those corny jokes were (I'm Mary Poppins y'all, why is Gamora, etc) and just ran with them. It wasn't so bad back then, the franchise still had some really good stuff in the late 10's like Infinity War, Endgame, and Black Panther, but now it's just corny jokes with a boring storyline and characters that are more annoying than likeable.

I think it does because usually your taste will evolve as you grow older (not just for movies, but in general)

I totally agree that the first couple of Marvel phases are objectively good, but now that i’m almost 30 i’m just not interested that much in generic green screen movies or in wasting my time watching 19472829 TV shows anymore :michael:

Ever since I was a kid i’ve always been a movie nerd who watched literally everything. over the last couple of years i’ve been almost only watching old old old OLD movies like from the 40s, classics, westerns, film noir etc and i’ve been really enjoying them a lot. I would have never been interested in these films at 22 

This decade has been a depressing one for film (with some notable exceptions) although TV is thriving. I hope there’s a new big genre because even though I like superheroes, it’s been done to death. I remember dystopian movies were huge in the 2010s (THG, The Maze Runner, Divergent) but kind of died possibly due to the quality of the latter two franchises that had horrible sequels :rip: 

Blame the pandemic - it almost killed the industry :rip: be lucky we got anything and that only is because movies take years to complete. 

and now inflation - I don’t see production studios investing in too many critic darlings with the way the economy is going.

The evil (Marvel) is finally getting defeated and next year, we'll have two big non superhero franchise movies launched - dune 2 and hunger games reloaded so let's see how that goes

On 8/21/2022 at 5:24 AM, zaso said:

so far this decade we haven't had a new popular franchise, mcu is declining, horror genre is dead

even Korean cinema which was peaking in the 2010s is giving us subpar rehashes, what happened?

you know what happened :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.