Is the 2020s the worst decade for film?

zaso

i know it's been only 2 years but by this time last decade we had the most anticipated team-up film of the history with multiple superhero franchises already launched (thor and cap), the hunger games, two nolan hits, acclaimed bo smashes like black swan. the decade before we had hp and lotr

so far this decade we haven't had a new popular franchise, mcu is declining, horror genre is dead

even Korean cinema which was peaking in the 2010s is giving us subpar rehashes, what happened?

12 minutes ago, zaso said:

i know it's been only 2 years

/thread.

Things will get better once the Marvel craze dies down (feels like it already is) and if studios are more willing to take on different kinds of films, with streaming there is promise.

5 minutes ago, P!nk said:

/thread.

did you read the rest

massive franchises usually launch at the start of the decade. avengers, thor, hp, lotr, the hugner games

so far yes (the only masterpiece this decade has been Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar)

I used to be a proper MCU STAN, but everything after the Black Widow and Wandavision has been awful and I can’t stand them anymore. also I grew up. 

not to sound like a boomer but everything is superhero/franchise content and i’m so tired. in what is probably a very ironic twist, I can definitely see how all those hollywood artistes and filmbros were right lol. 

I feel like the fatigue is staring to set it, and that plus the streaming war messes should make for a very interesting decade 

If the new hunger games does well we may have new genre to switch things up from the superhero overdose happening. 

The success of Top Gun is a good indicator, hopefully it goes up from here. We need something new and fresh. Not the same movies formula with different cast. I get your point regarding new franchises launches at the start of the decade, but we have to consider how the pandemic affected and is still affecting the film industry today. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

so far yes (the only masterpiece this decade has been Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar)

I used to be a proper MCU STAN, but everything after the Black Widow and Wandavision has been awful and I can’t stand them anymore. also I grew up. 

not to sound like a boomer but everything is superhero/franchise content and i’m so tired. in what is probably a very ironic twist, I can definitely see how all those hollywood artistes and filmbros were right lol. 

I feel like the fatigue is staring to set it, and that plus the streaming war messes should make for a very interesting decade 

Agreed. The mcu will die if keep pandering to children and man babies. They need to grow up with their audience . 

32 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

:clap3:

i was a big mcu fan too and find everything about post endgame mcu juvenile (more than usual) and uninteresting, they can't even get character dynamics right anymore and that was their strong point once

53 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

Things will get better once the Marvel craze dies down (feels like it already is) and if studios are more willing to take on different kinds of films, with streaming there is promise.

When Top Gun outperforms all the MCU movies, the future seems bright.

Maybe but this year has been great.

The Invisible Man, Freaky, The Hunt, Promising Young Woman, Spencer, A Quiet Place II, Scream, Batman, Top Gun, Nope, X, and Everything Everywhere All At Once are all great movies this decade so far.

Covid ****** a lot up. The only major franchise launch I can think of is Dune, and we are getting a Nolan movie next year. Its been pretty weak overall though aside from Everything Everywhere All At Once. The Marvel and DC movies are also not doing as well as they did last decade. 

Yes, but the **** show started earlier when the cinema started revolving around comic book ****. Kinda makes the Twlight era feel like a breeze. 

marvel needs to start flopping and I'm so serious. just terrible movie after terrible movie. 

3 minutes ago, kokonk said:

marvel needs to start flopping and I'm so serious. just terrible movie after terrible movie. 

If Marvel starts flopping then movie theaters might be done for though. :rip:

7 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

If Marvel starts flopping then movie theaters might be done for though. :rip:

dc can replace them. their board needs a quick wake up call :gaycat1:

Greta Gerwig’s Barbie comes out next year so no.

Everything Everywhere All at Once & Nope are already highlights of the 2020s imo. Just lower your standards a bit probably.

7 hours ago, TaylorNation said:

It has nothing to do with growing up. Marvel films used to be legitimately good, no matter what your age was. Iron Man, Captain America, The Winter Soldier, The Avengers, Cival War, Thor were all fantastic and still hold up after all these years. The franchise took a bit of a turn around the mid-late 2010's. I think they saw how "meme-able" all of those corny jokes were (I'm Mary Poppins y'all, why is Gamora, etc) and just ran with them. It wasn't so bad back then, the franchise still had some really good stuff in the late 10's like Infinity War, Endgame, and Black Panther, but now it's just corny jokes with a boring storyline and characters that are more annoying than likeable.

the 10s ended with a banger of a year. 2019 was GREAT for movies

Parasite

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Ford vs Ferrari

Marriage Story

The Irishman

The lighthouse

Waves

Richard Jewell

Queen & Slim

Just Mercy

Clemency

Judy

Uncut Gems

Knives Out

Us

Once Upon a time in Hollywood

Little Women

Hustlers

Dark Waters

Rocketman

The good liar

The farewell

Booksmart

Dolemite is my name

:jonny:

It's the decade in which creatively bankrupt Marvel merchandise advertisements movies finally started to hit a wall, so for that the 2020's are already showing some promise. 

Superheroes, remakes, reboots, adaptations, quality/formula standardization and the trend of turning everything into a franchise...

Yup, creativity is at its lowest ever. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.