UN expert concludes that forced labor has taken place in Xinjiang

Jotham

It is "reasonable to conclude" that forced labour of members of minority groups has taken place in China's western Xinjiang region, the UN's top expert on slavery said in a report released this week, prompting a fierce response from Beijing.

The findings were "based on an independent assessment of available information", the United Nations Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of slavery, Tomoya Obokata, said in a report that he shared on his Twitter account on Tuesday.

"The Special Rapporteur regards it as reasonable to conclude that forced labour among Uighur, Kazakh and other ethnic minorities in sectors such as agriculture and manufacturing has been occurring in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region of China," it said.

China rejects all accusations of abuse of Uyghurs and other Muslim minority groups in Xinjiang.

The report, dated July 19, is publicly available in a UN documents library.

Two distinct "state-mandated" systems exist in Xinjiang, it said: a vocational skills education and training centre system, where minorities are "detained and subjected" to work placements, and a poverty alleviation through labour transfer system involving rural workers.

"While these programmes may create employment opportunities for minorities and enhance their incomes, as claimed by the Government, the Special Rapporteur considers that indicators of forced labour pointing to the involuntary nature of work rendered by affected communities have been present in many cases," said the 20-page report, which also covered contemporary slavery-related issues and concerns in other countries.

Read more

Edited by Jotham

Waiting for the disserations :duca:

Only in Xinjiang, it's basically the sad reality that keep happening all over the China :gaycat6:

Forced labor is a horrible thing. The modern, rich country with the biggest amount of forced labor is the US, as it's the country with the most prisoners. And any job in an US jail isn't much different from the "forced labor" this UN expert claims happens in China.

A well known fact.

It's so funny to me whenever these threads are posted, the ATRL tankies who have no problems typing essays about how bad the US is and use personal insults left and right... Are suddenly silent! :rip:

14 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

It's so funny to me whenever these threads are posted, the ATRL tankies who have no problems typing essays about how bad the US is and use personal insults left and right... Are suddenly silent! :rip:

I'm a "tankie" (not really, tankies are more pro-Stalin while I'm more of a marxist-leninist) and I have come here to comment on how bad the US is, and how its situation with forced labour is as bad if not way worse than that in China

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.