Adele talks about calling off Vegas shows in Elle UK

Nefertiti0

Adele was terrified of letting everyone down. But she also knew in her bones that something about the show did not feel authentic to her. “There was just no soul in it,” she says. “The stage setup wasn’t right. It was very disconnected from me and my band, and it lacked intimacy. And maybe I tried too hard to give it those things in such a controlled environment.”

At a dress rehearsal the night before she announced the cancellation, she got frustrated enough that, during the first song, she walked to the end of the 15,700-square-foot stage, sat down, and crossed her legs over the side. Then she pulled her mic away and started singing a cappella to the mostly empty, 4,300-plus-seat Colosseum. Even unplugged, she says, “they could hear me up at the top.” As she sang, Adele looked out into the first few rows and realized it was exactly this feeling she’d been missing: an intimate and unpretentious moment with a stardom that has, over 15 years and more than 120 million albums sold worldwide, become its own life force.

“This would be the best part of the show,” she remembers thinking. “For me, and for you. This is what I want,” she continues, motioning to an imagined small audience in front of her kitchen table, the proximity of a fan’s beating heart. “And none of that—” she gestures behind her, to the idea of a Vegas stage with its trappings and special effects—“has that.” The next morning, she called off the shows.

“The first couple of months was really, really hard,” Adele says. “I was embarrassed. But it actually made my confidence in myself grow, because it was a very brave thing to do. And I don’t think many people would have done what I did. I’m very proud of myself for standing by my artistic needs.”

https://www.elle.com/culture/music/a40803238/adele-interview-elle-september-cover-2022/
elm090122fobcover-lo-1-1660153836.jpg?reelm090122fobcover-001a-1660154342.jpg?reelm090122wladele-006a-1660153395.jpg?reselm090122wladele-003a-1660153331.jpg?reselm090122wladele-007a-1660153253.jpg?reselm090122wladele-002a-1660153151.jpg?croelm090122wladele-001a-1660152966.jpg?reselm090122wladele-008a-1660152723.jpg?reselm090122fobinsidecover-001a-1660154407.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• abrahamjmr

• State of Grace.

• Protocol

I don’t think many people would have done what I did

There's a reason for that :hoetenks:

Yeah... :lmao:

Glad her confidence in her artistic needs grew, that's cool and everything but girl... :lmao:

7 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

I'm sure her fans who wasted money on flights and accomodation to see her are very proud of her artistic choices :clap3:

:skull:

• ATRL Moderator

Wow :rip: she really used COVID-19 as a scapegoat in the beginning so that people wouldn’t be so mad at her

So the whole thing was ready and she just cancelled because she wasn’t feeling the stage setup :skull:

6 minutes ago, Nefertiti0 said:

“The first couple of months was really, really hard,” Adele says. “I was embarrassed. But it actually made my confidence in myself grow, because it was a very brave thing to do. And I don’t think many people would have done what I did. I’m very proud of myself for standing by my artistic needs.”

https://www.elle.com/culture/music/a40803238/adele-interview-elle-september-cover-2022/

Blaming COVID-19 was probably the most cowardly excuse she could've made at the time and yet here she is calling her actions brave :skull: Yeah sure stand by your artistic needs by all means but if you're not going to be honest in the process then I think you should question those needs first. Such a disappointing explanation :shakeno:

She looks extremely haggard… and the delusional story she has created to absolve herself of accountability is astonishing.

If she has creative control then the fact the show didn’t feel intimate was her fault. 

She should have let this rest and not talked about it anymore. There was really no story here. 

Now she just confirms that she's really not that professional because had she been rehearsing every day for at least a month or even a week, been present/involved since the beginning, she would have realized something was missing from the start and would have course-corrected it. 

And her reason for canceling is not strong enough to make up for the hassle her fans went through. 

The Covid story was good, she should have stuck with it. Now I feel a bit foolish because realizing your show lacks an intimate feeling the night before is no reason for those tears she shed that somehow touched me.  :toofunny3:

So she’s admitting she’s putting her “artistic needs” before the thousands of dollars her fans poured into seeing her? She needs a new PR team. 

2 minutes ago, BnPac said:

She should have let this rest and not talked about it anymore. There was really no story here. 

Now she just confirms that she's really not that professional because had she been rehearsing every day for at least a month or even a week, been present/involved since the beginning, she would have realized something was missing from the start and would have course-corrected it. 

And her reason for canceling is not strong enough to make up for the hassle her fans went through. 

The Covid story was good, she should have stuck with it. Now I feel a bit foolish because realizing your show lacks an intimate feeling the night before is no reason for those tears she shed that somehow touched me.  :toofunny3:

Took the thoughts right out of my head :cm:

Fat people always become insufferable when they get skinny :mazen:

…very weird statements

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature

21 minutes ago, Nefertiti0 said:

And I don’t think many people would have done what I did. I’m very proud of myself for standing by my artistic needs.”

She’s right. Better yet, most people wouldn’t have gotten away with it Scot free and successfully sell out a slew of shows later the same year. She has a chokehold on the public and taking advantage of it. I don’t know anyone else, except maybe Taylor, who could carry on unscathed in spite of multiple professionalism blunders. 

I love Adele but her take on this is very irresponsible. 

Omg girrrrrl :bibliahh:

I dont know what's happening, I used to love her so much but she's been kinda unlikeable this era..

Also side note they chose the worst pic for the cover tbh. 

yikes :rip:

at least she looks GOOD.. the photoshoot is giving yet they chose that cover? ok. but EAT :jonny5:

Ugh, she doesn't need that thick make up. She already has a beautiful face.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.