What's My Line? (1950-1967)

°ColdFire°

What's My Line? (1950)

What's My Line? is a panel game show that started the long and successful run of Goodson-Toman produced shows - To Tell the Truth, I've Got a Secret, Match Game, Password etc. It originally ran in the United States on CBS from 1950 to 1967. The game uses celebrity panelists to question contestants in order to determine their occupation, i.e. "line of work," with panelists being called on to question and identify a weekly celebrity "mystery guest" while blindfolded.

The moderator was John Charles Daly.
The regular panelists were Bennett Cerf, Arlene Francis, and Dorothy Kilgallen.

It is on the list of longest-running U.S. primetime network television game-shows. The show won three Emmy Awards for "Best Quiz or Audience Participation Show" in 1952, 1953, and 1958 and the Golden Globe Awards for Best TV Show in 1962.

More than 700 episodes exist as kinescope recordings (filming a television screen in 16mm). Many early episodes were lost because of economic decisions made by CBS executives between 1950 and 1952. Every episode between July 1952 and September 1967 existed for a long time in the archive of producers Mark Goodson and Bill Todman, but some of these were lost in 1975.

Interest for the show was reignited once it was put on YouTube by an individual who have voluntarily put almost all available episodes (over 700) in chronological order. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/WhatsMyLine 

It's literally a portal into 1950's and 1960's American, but also world's history.

The number of important people that have appeared, poise, elegance, articulateness, the Mid-Atlantic accent :WAP:

I wanted to share my little treasure with you guys since I know how many of you would enjoy this.

Edited by °ColdFire°

i love this show! this is one of those late night great old shows 

Countin', one, two, three
Peter, Paul and Mary
Gettin' down with 3P
Everybody loves, oh

:alexz:

The Supremes; Florence, Mary, Diana line-up, appeared twice.

Flo here :smitten:

This used to air on the Game Show Network in the late 2000s at like 4 AM in the summertime. My mom and I would wake up to watch but as I got older we’d just stay up for it. :rip: I love going back and watching the celebrity guest segments on YouTube. Some of them are priceless.

I feel like Buzzr aired some episodes in recent years, but I don't recall seeing any commercials for it lately :katie:

I was always more of a fan of its spinoff I've Got a Secret, but What's My Line was cool too!  I remember watching reruns on GSN and thinking it was quirky how the panelists' name cards said "Mr. Cerf" and "Miss Kilgallen" instead of their first name lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.