Does 2022 feel closer to 2012 than 2012 is to 2002?

Aethereal

Does it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Does it?

In my mind i still feel 2005 was still like 5 years ago and the 80s are happened 20 years ago

Feels like so many things happened during the 2000s

the music sales climate change was also more felt than that of the 2010s imo

I think its because of how drastic the shift was between the 90s- early 00s to the late 00s early 10s. Speaking from the US of course.

So many new big pop cultural figures appeared all of a sudden at the end of the 00s its basically unrecognizable from someone in the early 00s

We went from Beyoncé Fergie Pink Christina Britney Alicia to Rihanna Katy Perry Taylor Swift Kesha Nicki Minaj and most importantly Lady Gaga.

I know thats just one part of the puzzle but the point is 00s was represented by hiphop, the doom and gloom of 9/11, political tensions and a vicious celebrity takedown culture while the 2010s was a revival of loud and upbeat pop POP music, dancepop, EDM, bubblegum pop, it reflected the times too, the Obama admin for all its faults was a pretty decent administration for the Gen Z and young millenials, this was the time same sex marriage was legalized, drug decriminalisation, a lot of forward momentum for social consciousness and progressivism which still carries on today.

tl;dr: 2012 feels closer to 2022 than 2012 does to 2002 because of how drastic the shift in the popular culture was during the mid late 00s, 2022 is still in some ways very similar to 2012 with larger than life pop culture figures, albeit more critical on celebrity takedown culture.

To be honest I can't really tell since I was 2 in 2002.

same,thats probably because i was a kid/teenager in 2002-2012 and didn't really had a perception of time

2002 feels like yesterday to me 

Yes, but I feel it has to do with our age during those years more than anything.

I was a 5 year-old little kid in 2002 and I'm sure many of you were also kids. I obviously didn't have the same perception of time as I do now, so a decade probably felt a lot longer to me as it does now.

No 2002 feels so ******* long ago now but it does feel like 2012 wasn't too long ago tho

However I feel 2007 wasn't too long ago that year is still so fresh in my memory.

30 minutes ago, Janet said:

Technologically the jump from 2002-12 was way bigger than 2012-22 was 

This. In 2002 we had dial up internet, Nokia phones and Blockbuster. By 2012 we had smartphones, streaming, and social media. In 2022 we still have most of the same things as 2012, but just more advanced.

2 hours ago, HeWolf said:

In my mind i still feel 2005 was still like 5 years ago and the 80s are happened 20 years ago

Same :dies:

10 hours ago, mystery said:

To be honest I can't really tell since I was 2 in 2002.

Right :rip: My earliest memory is from 2003 so just off that alone 2012-2022 feels closer just because I have actual solid memories and experiences during that time. I only have solid recollection of things starting at like 2006 and that feels like a long time ago unlike 2012 which doesn't feel like 10 years ago at all.

Edited by bad guy

8 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Right :rip: My earliest memory is from 2003 so just off that alone 2012-2022 feels closer just because I have actual solid memories and experiences during that time. I only have solid recollection of things starting at like 2006 and that feels like a long time ago unlike 2012 which doesn't feel like 10 years ago at all.

Same, earliest is 2003 and then from 2005 onward it is pretty much all clear.

Actually 2022 is closer to 2002 itself. The crisis, the war and the overall ignorance feel like 2012 was a distant illusion. 

Edited by Mr.Link

12 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

2002 feels like yesterday to me 

really? it feels like 100 years ago for me.

to answer the question OP... I don't know, when I look back at 2012, even tho we had the technology and social media, it still feels like a more innocent time... maybe that's because it was PT (pre Trump) but 2022 in general feels far from everything due to the pandemic and how crazy the world is these days.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.