After how long do you think it is normal to say "I love you"?

Littlejfrey

My ex/last situationship told me after 3-4 days of knowing each other, so :rip: for me two months after seems like a good amount of time though.

At least three months.

Everyone telling me "I love you" after a few days or after two or three weeks will get the boot. These people always seem too emotional, too unstable, and will probably end up being too jealous and clingy.

They pprobably don't even know the meaning of that sentence.

It all depends on the individual circumstances of the relationship. If you truly feel like you are in love and they are not honeymoon feelings/a deep like in development, then just say it. Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes a few weeks, and sometimes months to fall in love. But love can also grow to be even deeper and stronger over time, so if you can't get out of your mind or heart that you love somebody even though it feels "too soon", you most likely are in love.

I’ve been in a relationship for 9 months and we still haven’t said I love you to each other ?

i think the normal time should be after 3-4 months of SPENDING TIME TOGETHER doing activities etc.

In my first relationship I think I said it within a month, and I was indeed insane and unstable :rip:  I'd say 5-6 months minimum for me 

My boyfriend told me after a month (and I was really shook by it), but I never said it until 6 months. I wanted to be 100% sure that I actually did love him before I said it because I had just come out of a horrible relationship where I said it right away when I didn’t even mean it yet. We’ve been together almost 5 years now.

When I see how they react/deal with their life situations. You don't want to love some cuckoo person and only waste your time.

28 minutes ago, Patient Zero said:

At least three months.

Everyone telling me "I love you" after a few days or after two or three weeks will get the boot. These people always seem too emotional, too unstable, and will probably end up being too jealous and clingy.

They pprobably don't even know the meaning of that sentence.

agree. The people who say I love you right after meeting donʻt understand what love is.

My boyfriend told me he loved me after we had known each other properly for 3 days (we weren’t dating yet), while I was inside him. I burst out laughing, fell from the bed and hurt my knee.

Then about 3 months later I told him I loved him and he said he loved me too. We’ve been together almost 14 months.

Edited by ProudLBS

My boyfriend said it to me after 3 weeks and I said it back.. 

You can fall in love in a minute.. I totally believe in love at first sight (had it) 

I don't see anything wrong with saying it even after a week

I knew i fell in love after literally a week. But i have to wait a year or so to be 100% sure. I guess it depends on where do you wear your heart out? Mine's in my brain :michael:

At least a couple of months. It's usually a telltale sign of emotional stuntedness when those words are thrown around within days/weeks.

I was thinking about it last week because my friend just got in a relationship (she's 27 and he's 32) and he told her i love you after less than a month together. I think it's such a turn off when this happens, I would probably break up if someone said it to me too early. I think at least 4-5 months have to pass. Personally my boyfriend said it to me 5 months in, I think that it was appropriate - been together for 3.5 years -, <2 months is just stupid. Love is something you develop, people confusing it with a crush or something at their big age is a red flag, it means you give it little meaning and/or you can pressure your partner by doing so, as he has no time to digest the feeling.

I've also been on the other side when I was younger, I dated a guy when I was 18 and I was crazy in love since the beginning, we said it immediately but it crushed and burned in less than two months, he said it carelessly clearly, had we been more careful it probably wouldn't have hurt so much. 

Edited by ariananext
typo

My silly ass said it back to an ex after a month and it was sooo awkward. We eventually ended the relationship like a month later ff. Also one guy I used to talk to said it to me 3 weeks in and we weren't even officially together. :skull:

For me I think it depends on the circumstances, some people know each other for so long or go from friends to lovers sometimes. But 3 months at least sounds okay. Could even take a year tbh. You really need to spend so much time together, go through some real life **** and properly know how they think/react.

I fell in love with the person after our first date. Knowing myself, I realized I have to keep my calm and see where it goes. After two months I told him that I'm actually developing feelings for him and we became exclusive. I've been saying that I love him ever since then.

Romantically? When you actually have a basis for being in love with them, so maybe several dates over 6months.

For friends, when you actually know each other, like genuinely know how each other think and how to maneuver in each of your comfort zones in areas where you disagree or won't tread with the average person. This usually takes years for me.

I’ve said it after two months and I feel that’s a decent time to know

My bf said it on like month 1 and left me shocked but 1 year and half in his only ever said it 5 times. 

He was so into me for like 1 or 2 months and now it's hard for him to show any affection what so ever. So I would never of called him clingy because his 100% not was quite confused with the love word

I rather a guy tell me further down the line and tell me he loves me once a week

The only time I said I love you to a guy was between the first and second month that we were dating, and yeah it didn't end good and looking back, I don't even know why I said it :skull: So I agree that after 3-4 months you should have a more clear idea if you truly feel love for the other person or if it was just the excitement from the beginning 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.