Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe | 89% RT | Out now!

fountain

13 minutes ago, costlyxo said:

I saw a random Instagram ad and was like gay :gaycat1:so I saw it yesterday and it's so beautiful. It's so unique compared to the YA queer stuff I've seen before. I ran to the nearest bookstore and bought the book + sequel I didn't know about too

I ended up ordering signed copies from the author’s website after watching. :jonny: 

I thought it was really unique too. The audience I watched it with 

Spoiler

seemed like they disliked it. I heard multiple people complaining. :deadbanana: It was white people saying things like “it wasn’t really gay enough” and “they barely showed them kissing” :rip:. I imagine they also went in just expecting gay, but wanted something more fluffy like Red White & Royal Blue or Heartstopper. I thought everything about them was so gay so I don’t even know what that was about. :rip: 

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genetic fail

• fountain

• Smarticle

• Lovett

I love the book, but the movie was unfortunately just extremely flat. No inspiration behind the camera, and the acting (particularly from the lead) was terrible until the final act. It’s a shame really. 

4 hours ago, Dancehall Queen said:

I ended up ordering signed copies from the author’s website after watching. :jonny: 

I thought it was really unique too. The audience I watched it with 

Hide contents

seemed like they disliked it. I heard multiple people complaining. :deadbanana: It was white people saying things like “it wasn’t really gay enough” and “they barely showed them kissing” :rip:. I imagine they also went in just expecting gay, but wanted something more fluffy like Red White & Royal Blue or Heartstopper. I thought everything about them was so gay so I don’t even know what that was about. :rip: 

omg wait lemme return the books i bought and buy directly from his website! And that sucks, omg it's so much beyond romance it's a whole piece on identity and family. I honestly wasn't sure if Ari would remain a truthfully straight character and the story would just end up about being there for his queer wonderful best friend. (I forgot the promo pic I saw in the spoiler was pretty gay). The innocent connection, Ari's indirect ways of gesturing love, and uncertain feelings until the end are so beautifully done. And yeah those sterile easily digestible programs have killed media literacy. I feel like this almost had elements of a PG13 Moonlight, but I haven't watched that in years I could be wrong.

How many people were in your theater bc my decently sized auditorium only had 2 others? I am only finding like matinee screentimes or 8:30-later, no ideal 7PM slots and I can't even tell if the movie will still show after this week.

Spoiler

Aristotle-and-Dante-movie-still-tout-090 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's out on VOD but in the US only :emofish:

I saw this finally!! Very cute. I understand where people might come from with it being “not gay enough”? Ari’s actor is VERY stoic. I think it’s clear though

Spoiler

he is developing feeling for Dante though because his actions when Dante is gone are all a direct result of the letters Dante wrote for him :michael: he literally changes his hairstyle when he comes back :rip: I think it tried to show how confused Ari was about potentially not liking him.

Finally saw it! My comfort book now a comfort film :heart:

It's not a perfect adaptation by any means but I think it managed to capture the essence of the book.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.