Ukraine: Zelensky set to approve same-sex partnership law

Kitty Kat

Whilst not yet legalised, this is a positive step forward for LGBT+ rights in Ukraine.

Oh wow :clap3: Progress!

about time

most Ukrainians are still pretty homophobic (like in any Eastern European country) so there will maybe be some backlash but if we really want to be closer to EU they'll have to DEAL and SEETHE

:clap3:

Out of nowhere at the middle of a war :skull: It will be a rush move; so I'm not sure how democratic the law will be but  congrats to LGBTs of Ukraine I guess

Slay :clap3:

4 minutes ago, Afferty said:

Out of nowhere at the middle of a war :skull: It will be a rush move; so I'm not sure how democratic the law will be but  congrats to LGBTs of Ukraine I guess

It's always democratic to protect the rights of minorities, especially in a war in which many gay soldiers are fighting and it's important that their partners are protected in case anything happens to them. 

OT: Amazing news :clap3: I guess it is possible to support civil rights even in a highly religious country while fighting off an active invasive war from a neighbor country. Ukraine continues to impress 

3 minutes ago, Dephira said:

It's always democratic to protect the rights of minorities, especially in a war in which many gay soldiers are fighting and it's important that their partners are protected in case anything happens to them. 

OT: Amazing news :clap3: I guess it is possible to support civil rights even in a highly religious country while fighting off an active invasive war from a neighbor country. Ukraine continues to impress 

Pretty sure there are minorities from ceratin religious groups who claim it is their right to raise their kid in LGBTfree environment. 

I believe such laws should not be accepted in these circumtancences when a great majority of the population is not supporting it (although im not sure if it is the case in ukraine). It seems highly antipatic in these case, and it is not favoring our community. 

Again, congrats to LGBT community of Ukraine, but I hope that I will be wrong and they and their president will not get any backlash because of it. (Especially after the war ends, and hopefully it'd end soon)

Just now, Afferty said:

Pretty sure there are minorities from ceratin religious groups who claim it is their right to raise their kid in LGBTfree environment. 

Ignorance is a choice and doesn't deserve legal protection 

5 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Ignorance is a choice and doesn't deserve legal protection 

Yeah and we should make them learn that their this will is ignorant and taake them to our sides, we should not direct them that it is ignorant and you will do what we will. Or else it will create a revers effect.

(For example Ataturk providing all the rights to Turks for their good but when they were not ready to accept them, and now they are taking them back and consider his moves as dictatorship, which makes it so hard for us to make them accept any current progressive laws). 

43 minutes ago, Flomik said:

about time

most Ukrainians are still pretty homophobic (like in any Eastern European country) so there will maybe be some backlash but if we really want to be closer to EU they'll have to DEAL and SEETHE

Let's get married and invite the OUH on ATRL to the ceremony :heart:

36 minutes ago, Afferty said:

First of all, it's not out of nowhere. There was a massive online petition that went viral all over Ukraine asking the government to address this. Secondly, marriage is written in the Ukrainian constitution as between a man and a woman, and currently there is a law that states the constitution can't be changed during war.

So you can calm down with your dog whistles "concerns" about the level of democracy in Ukraine. Maybe the verkhovna rada will show off their democracy skills by voting to change that law so that the constitution can be amended during the war. :clown:

15 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

marriage is written in the Ukrainian constitution as between a man and a woman, and currently there is a law that states the constitution can't be changed during war.

Changing constitution during a war is not very democratic too but anyway, you live and you see I guess. There was no need for the words you used for my concerns and simple critics :heart2:

(Especially when I would LOVE to see same sex marriage happening in Ukraine when Ukrainians in general accepts it)

Edited by Afferty

Incredible :heart2: especially seeing it in an Eastern European country, hopefully this pushes public acceptance towards the LGBT community as time will go by.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.