Carly Rae Jepsen - 'The Loneliest Time'

BlackoutZone

21 minutes ago, smoore95GAGA said:

How can one’s songwriting be good but their lyricism cringey? Is there a difference between the two that I don’t understand?

Songwriting is melodies, structure, and lyrics all combined. So of course you can be better or worse at one element than the others.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kamil24

• mystery

• smoore95GAGA

• TheBoss

5 minutes ago, lovethismusic said:

Songwriting is melodies, structure, and lyrics all combined. So of course you can be better or worse at one element than the others.

Gotcha, thanks!

Based on the description (ty @BlackoutZonebtw you’re a king :gaycat:), I’m kind of disappointed more of the album isn’t in the vein of Western Wind, but that’s just a personal thing. Perhaps someday I’ll get that album. Excited for the bops nonetheless!

5 hours ago, BANKS said:

Keep Away - EMOTION (same world as "Never Get to Hold You")

Now THIS got me excited, I’m claiming Keep Away as the best track of the record.

Surrender My Heart, Talking to Myself, Far Away, Bad Thing Twice, Keep Away… so freakin excited :jonny5:

Daily reminder that Turn Me On is the best album track from Kiss and woulda done better than Tonight I'm Getting Over You.

23 hours ago, Topaz said:

Daily reminder that Turn Me On is the best album track from Kiss and woulda done better than Tonight I'm Getting Over You.

Yep, Turn Me Up & This Kiss >>

I think Turn Me Up should've been the third single from Kiss, it could've been another smash for her. Crazy to think that album turns 10 years old in a week!

On 9/2/2022 at 10:12 PM, ZENO said:

The fact that two people mentioned Kiss makes my heart beat so fast. I missed Kiss’ Carly so much, I’m so looking forward to listen to those two tracks now :heart2:

Omg same! I think Kiss's bubblegum pop soundscape was the best one Carly ever tried in her career, and had she released the album when she had a little more experience + creative control, it would've easily been her best album to me. So excited to hear other songs in that sugary vein!

3 hours ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Omg same! I think Kiss's bubblegum pop soundscape was the best one Carly ever tried in her career, and had she released the album when she had a little more experience + creative control, it would've easily been her best album to me. So excited to hear other songs in that sugary vein!

Kiss is tied with Emotion as my favorite Carly album. Her soft, airy voice and sentimental lyrics fit bubblegum pop music SO well. The fact that that album was written and recorded in only a few weeks blows my mind. It’s quality is insane. 

22 hours ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Yep, Turn Me Up & This Kiss >>

I think Turn Me Up should've been the third single from Kiss, it could've been another smash for her. Crazy to think that album turns 10 years old in a week!

FACTSZ

On 9/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

On 9/6/2022 at 1:11 PM, BraveNewSeth said:

Kiss is tied with Emotion as my favorite Carly album. Her soft, airy voice and sentimental lyrics fit bubblegum pop music SO well. The fact that that album was written and recorded in only a few weeks blows my mind. It’s quality is insane. 

Kiss is a masterpiece and I vividly remember turning into a fan the moment I listened to its meadley.

It includes 2012's big choruses AND bubblegum. A true dream imo.

I wish she'd release a new album as bubbly, lighthearted and BOMBASTIC as Kiss.

Wrong Feels So Right alone :heart2:

Love the Kiss stanning here, such a great pop album. To me it was already clear that Carly had all the chances to deliver statements after statements in pop music. Let's also not forget this hidden masterpiece:

Just now, TrueBlood said:

Love the Kiss stanning here, such a great pop album. To me it was already clear that Carly had all the chances to deliver statements after statements in pop music. Let's also not forget this hidden masterpiece:

Take A Picture was also #1 in South Korea and I remember Take A Picture's live performance on American Idol!

34 minutes ago, ZENO said:

Kiss is a masterpiece and I vividly remember turning into a fan the moment I listened to its meadley.

It includes 2012's big choruses AND bubblegum. A true dream imo.

I wish she'd release a new album as bubbly, lighthearted and BOMBASTIC as Kiss.

Wrong Feels So Right alone :heart2:

Yup, I still remember the first time I listened to it. I was just expecting Call Me Maybe and like… two or three other tracks to be usable, but it was just banger after banger :jonnycat:

I love Wrong Feels So Right, but all of the deluxe tracks are amazing. I think my favorite song is Hurts So Good :heart:

I really hope these insiders are being honest when they say there’s some Kiss inspired tracks on the new album.

1 minute ago, BraveNewSeth said:

Yup, I still remember the first time I listened to it. I was just expecting Call Me Maybe and like… two or three other tracks to be usable, but it was just banger after banger :jonnycat:

I love Wrong Feels So Right, but all of the deluxe tracks are amazing. I think my favorite song is Hurts So Good :heart:

I really hope these insiders are being honest when they say there’s some Kiss inspired tracks on the new album.

Kiss remains my favorite album from Carly and one of my favorite albums of all time. It's just heavenly :heart2:

Regarding what's coming next month, I just want those tracks to be as anthemic, big, and rich in terms of productions as the perfection that 2012 provided. 

I LOATHE Wrong Feel So Right, but almost all the others are stellar, This Kiss, Turn Me Up, More Than A Memory, Tiny Little Bows, Heart Is A Muscle, Tonight I'm Getting Over You, Hurts So Good

:WAP:

4 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

I LOATHE Wrong Feel So Right, but almost all the others are stellar, This Kiss, Turn Me Up, More Than A Memory, Tiny Little Bows, Heart Is A Muscle, Tonight I'm Getting Over You, Hurts So Good

:WAP:

The way Wrong Feels So Right is the perfect Hyperpop combination of 80s and EDM before Hyperpop's explosion :flame:

Yes at the Kiss stanning here :clap3: It deserves so much more love than what it got. Thankfully it's gonna hit the 3X platinum soon, so at least it got commercial success in lieu of critical acclaim.

Tiny Little Bows, This Kiss, Curiosity, Good Time, Turn Me Up, Your Heart Is a Muscle, Sweetie, and Drive >>

More than a memory and picture is the song I listen to the most from kiss era

Are we still getting a new single from this on Friday, or was that Apple Music thing just a false rumour? 

29 minutes ago, ChristerD said:

Are we still getting a new single from this on Friday, or was that Apple Music thing just a false rumour? 

apple music still lists it for friday, but I always underline the fact that it's not trustworthy 

1 hour ago, sam.teas said:

apple music still lists it for friday, but I always underline the fact that it's not trustworthy 

Aw damn, I needed that to be true. Please Carly, give this era a lil boost with a single this week with an announcement that the album has been pushed forward a week. It's all we need. 

On 9/2/2022 at 4:32 PM, BlackoutZone said:

my rihview x

Hide contents

To say The Loneliest Time is a Carly Rae Jepsen album already sums it up more than any lengthy review. It's essentially a bit of everything she's given us throughout her entire career, for better or for worse. I remember about 2 years ago she said she might take a while to release the next project, cause she wants to try a different sound. And it seems like the trying started and ended with Western Wind. I was hoping the track would open the gates to new, more indie approach from Carly, but perhaps for now it was just her testing the waters while still settling for casual CRJ sound on rest of the album. Thankfully Carly remains a master of her own craft ready to bless us with more of what we love and the opening sequence is a proof of it. Surrender My Heart and Talking to Yourself are classic, bright, energetic bangers that could easily find their place on Kiss or Emotion. Joshua Tree is more cheeky, vibrant bass driven song, but also no less of a bop.

Far Away, a first solid favorite of mine is the closest to Western Wind we get elsewhere on the record. Even though supposedly untouched by Rostam it has very similar drum pattern and this time a far more rich and sparkly chorus. Cutesy Sideways continues the feel-good mid tempo section tickling a bit of Dedicated's Everything He Needs. This great streak ends with pretty dull Beach House, but the more I listen to the record the more I understand why it was picked as a single. Carly's songwriting has always been good, but her lyricism has often been corny or cringe-worthy and Beach House really highlights it. Luckily things take a great turn on the enchanting, beautiful Bends. The track is a rework of previously leaked Kiss-era song Sun on You, but pretty much all that's left of the original composition are the lyrics, both melody and production got fully revamped (for the better!). Western Wind, centerpiece - masterpiece, nothing more to add, so it's only disappointing its tracklist follow up is a lazily written, lackluster filler. Even with the pretty cool slightly funky production So Nice is uneventful and plain, lacking a distinctive chorus compromised with annoying male-vocal-led "la la la"s section instead. Carly finds herself loving those humming like sequences and unnamed male vocalists a bit too much lately. This misstep gets quickly compensated by Bad Thing Twice, another classic, lightly nostalgic poppy moment from the refreshed book of Emotion/Emotion Side B. It's not explosive enough to be a single, but hits just right to satisfy a true Jepsie. 

Shooting Star is an another track partially known to more dedicated fans aka another rework of a previously leaked demo called Disco Sweat, tied to a scrapped disco album of the same name Carly teased us with in the past. I think it's a good moment to let go of the infamous project, cause even though the track happened to "survive" through the years, it's neither reminiscent of the original version or the disco genre. Still it's a harmless addition to the album and a cute bop. Carly's vocals on it sound seemingly pitched or unusually high to me, it's a little bit jarring, but maybe that's just me. The Loneliest Time wouldn't be complete without a real, vulnerable ballad moment that is Go Find Yourself or Whatever. The longest song on the album floats mainly on simple acoustic guitar chords, but blossoms throughout to something of a stunning classic country piece. It reminds me of HAIM's Women in Music Pt. III which once again isn't a surprise as Rostam worked on them both. The album's title track and a standard edition closer is the true disco moment with beautiful strings, infectious groove and nostalgic melody. That's why I fail to see what was Carly's thought process of putting on it some completely insignificant guy she found on Shrek soundtrack just to drown her vocals in uncomfortable off-key squeaks. Once you get past that, it's a pretty good finale. 

At this point it's pretty clear the album is not very cohesive, not that it's messy - it's still entirely written by Carly in certain mindset, but shuffling these songs around wouldn't really change the overall reception so the focus should be on having as many clear highlights on as possible. To my surprise I happened to find a good chunk of them on the deluxe. All 3 bonus tracks are fantastic! Anxious is gonna be an instant fan-favorite. A shimmery dancefloor bliss with Carly's sensual vocals, thrilling electric production and catchy hook. A shame it's under 3 minutes, it could go on for much much longer. No Thinking Over the Weekend and Keep Away are both far slower moments, but both absolutely gorgeous and dreamy, could easily replace less exciting moments on the standard with Keep Away being a far more magical closer to the album too. Either way, glad we got them all, the complete 16 track project definitely feels fuller and more solid so it's the only version that's gonna live in my mind. Hope the next record is gonna be a true switch to something with clear direction rather than mixture of things she wants to try, but for now as a passionate Carly stan I am satisfied with what we got.

yasssss, this is as accurate as astrology so I'm very excited :jonny5:

On 9/3/2022 at 12:34 AM, getfree2017 said:

WTF IS THIS, STEAMING CUMDUMP

this took me out

for a group of collective btms Carly's stans are quite aggressive :jonny2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.