Kelis drags Beyonce; "It's not sampling, it's theft!"

Buddy

1 hour ago, Space&Time said:

The idea that Beyonce is supposed to know about the shady contracts Kelis signed in 1998 and make it her problem is BS.  Kelis and Bey were associated for a time, but Kelis has been SHADY AF towards Bey for decades.  Bey don't EFF with that H*E.  

Bey did her business the proper way and Kelis can seethe.  We appreciate the cute lil controversy, but now the public is going to get into the greatness of the album and move on.  Those of you convinced, contrary to evidence, that Beyonce is a thief will continue to hold your ignorant beliefs, and the rest of us who are literate will know the truth. 

If Bey didn't f**k with her then why would she sample her song? 

Yes, Kelis may not own the rights to her old music, but if it's being used by someone else, it is common decency to at least let her know what's up. After all, she sang on it.

Some Bey stans are quick to use racism, misogyny etc whenever someone comes for Bey, but have no problem doing it to Kelis - another Black woman i.e. you calling her a "hoe".

Edited by St. Francis

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stankonia

• Teen Spirit

• brenda-walsh

• est. in 90s

1 hour ago, Stankonia said:

Just imagine if Ariana was working on a song with Scooter and let him use a sample of an original Taylor song to which he owns the rights just to spite her. Everyone would be rightfully furious that she let him do that without even warning Taylor but because it's Beyoncé it's fine because "she went through the proper legal channels". :rip:

Let me quote this again, since some of yall are spamming nonsense .

and not adding to the discussion at All .

just being Hateful.

55 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Justice for Kelis :foxaylove3: Bey should do the right thing and credit her. 

She was included from the moment the credits dropped earlier in the week.

12 minutes ago, St. Francis said:

Yes, Kelis may not own the rights to her old music, but if it's being used by someone else, it is common decency to at least let her know what's up. After all, she sang on it.

Some Bey stans are quick to use racism, misogyny etc whenever someone comes for Bey, but have no problem doing it to Kelis - another Black woman i.e. you calling her a "hoe".

Yall are full of it. Kelis is full of **** and yall are only hyping her cause she's malicious and bitter enough to publically hurt and shame the "goddess" Beyonce. She's trash for using Beyonces album as a vehicle for her beef with Pharrell. She has a linear credit on a interpolation that uses Pharrells production only.

She called her a thief and dumb. This would not ne acceptable for any other :main pop girl" on this board. The things yall will do to see Bey maligned and sabotaged. 

17 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Let me quote this again, since some of yall are spamming nonsense .

and not adding to the discussion at All .

just being Hateful.

Why are you requoting a hypothetical situation that doesn't exist or apply to Beyonce? 

The song in question deals with Pharrell’s production on some drums. Not Kelis' voice, likeness or even the lyrics. She is not a producer. Once she heard the leaked song she knew that, slightly backtracked but kept going in an attempt to garner a fanbase. 

That's low. Taylor would never do this. She took who she needed to court and made **** shake for herself. That's a huge difference. 

Edited by Dreajae

4 minutes ago, G'Day said:

This is such a false equivalency because Taylor is credited on all her songs and Kelis isn’t credited on the song that was sampled. 

Scooter just owned the masters to Taylor’s OG music but Taylor still has all her writing credits / publishing rights, hence why Taylor was able to block sync use of her music even though Scooter owned the masters. 

Literally not the same situation at all. 

This literally just shows that Kelis's situation is worse :rip:

At least Taylor gets to reap off of the work she did while Kelis doesn't because those men cheated her out of her publishing rights. 

So what is the alleged song that samples Kelis?

Anyway by reading this thread I don't see how Beyoncé is wrong in anyway, Kelis problems are with Pharrell, The Neptunes or whatever it is. Beyoncé cleared the sample legally why should she give her a call to tell her anything? Like :skull:

21 minutes ago, St. Francis said:

It's not Kelis' song, the Neptunes own it, wrote and produced it. It is THEIRS. That is how the music industry works. Also, nothing on Energy resembles the likeness of Kelis. The sample in the very beginning is nothing but drumbeats :rip: but y'all continue to go to war behind her off some random drumbeats on a one-minute song just because she's attacking a woman many of you dislike, facts be damned.

I just hope new & existing Kelis fans stream her latest single that did not chart at all. The energy used in here to crusade for her could be put to something actually productive like streaming/purchasing the current songs she has out that she actually had creative input in. 

I really don't know why we're going in circles when two things can be right at the same time. 

- Beyoncé didn't maliciously steal from Kelis

- Kelis is understandably angry 

I don't understand how some of you are trying to frame Kelis to be some attention seeker when she's never been one in an almost 25-year old career she's mostly kept off the drama :deadbanana4:

27 minutes ago, St. Francis said:

You don't have to EFF with some one to sample their music. Producers present all types of beats with samples that artist like, and they could have the SLIGHTEST idea of what is being sample when they creating the song.  Many times its not until the process of clearing the record that the artist may or may not know if they sampled said artist.  

With the music containing a sample, boom dumph boom, I doubt she really was aware of cared.  TBH Drum samples aren't even required by copyright law.

2 hours ago, lonnie said:

I mean they must've been in the same award shows and events at some point so they've most likely met. And Nas and Jay squashed whatever it was they were going on about at some point. And they started working at around the same time (late 90s), so they definitely have mutual friends. I can see things from Kelis's point of view of feeling disrespected if we've known each other since we were really young women and you couldn't reach out to me when these men already screwed me over. I hope a mutual friend of their helps mend this though, this isn't something that couldn't be fixed.

Girl f Kelis. I'm really shocked how in so many words, yall think Beyonce owes people who trash talk and disrespect her something. Maybe it's the fact she seems so nice and never hits back when she's attacked. But enough is enough.

Beyonce doesn't owe Kelis a thing. They are not industry friends. Their careers likely haven't crossed paths since 2007. Jay and Nas' relationship was always touch and go. They are not besties. So her trying to name drop as if it's so east to pick up the phone amd call her when she clearly didn't is a mess on her end. 

42 minutes ago, Dreajae said:

Yall are full of it. Kelis is full of **** and yall are only hyping her cause she's malicious and bitter enough to publically hurt and shame the "goddess" Beyonce. She's trash for using Beyonces album as a vehicle for her beef with Pharrell. She has a linear credit on a interpolation that uses Pharrells production only.

She called her a thief and dumb. This would not ne acceptable for any other :main pop girl" on this board. The things yall will do to see Bey maligned and sabotaged. 

Who's hyping her because she's shaming Beyonce? Not all of us care for that stan ****. 

If Kelis called out any other artist over this, I bet you would be supporting her and if another artist did this to Bey, you would probably be up in arms.

31 minutes ago, est. in 90s said:

It's not Kelis' song, the Neptunes own it, wrote and produced it. It is THEIRS. That is how the music industry works. Also, nothing on Energy resembles the likeness of Kelis. The sample in the very beginning is nothing but drumbeats :rip: but y'all continue to go to war behind her off some random drumbeats on a one-minute song just because she's attacking a woman many of you dislike, facts be damned.

I just hope new & existing Kelis fans stream her latest single that did not chart at all. The energy used in here to crusade for her could be put to something actually productive like streaming/purchasing the current songs she has out that she actually had creative input in. 

First of all, cut the condescending attitude and the angry stan mentality. I don't stan Kelis, I don't stan Bey either and I am looking at this from a non-fan standpoint.

Whether they wrote or produced it does not change the fact that she is a vocalist on the song. From a business standpoint, she doesn't have to be consulted or informed but from a creative-to-creative standpoint, there is nothing wrong with Bey or her team letting her know that they planned to use parts of her song - vocals, production or whatever.

Kelis was swindled out of her royalties and credits despite actually having a hand in the creation of her old songs. She didn't just turn up to the studio to mess around or record lines written for her only.

And I say "her song" as in that she is credited as the lead artist of it.

Edited by St. Francis

14 hours ago, makeme said:

Guys she is going through a lot she just lost her husband in March to stomach cancer they were married since 2014 and have children she is probably still grieving and is using this situation to throw channel some anger.

It's crazy because i've been following her on IG for the last year or so and she's so into her farm, organic site, and her own things. She's usually so light and happy so seeing her like this is a lil jarring and throwback to her early 00s days. I get where she's coming from and it wouldn't have killed Bey to reach out but ultimately her anger is misplaced. And some of her slick comments certainly exposed how she feels about Bey. 

since when is it “common courtesy” to reach out to people you’re sampling? so many artists get samples every f*cking day and you think everyone is reaching out to each other to let them know this? miss me with that BS

37 minutes ago, Dreajae said:

Girl f Kelis. I'm really shocked how in so many words, yall think Beyonce owes people who trash talk and disrespect her something. Maybe it's the fact she seems so nice and never hits back when she's attacked. But enough is enough.

Beyonce doesn't owe Kelis a thing. They are not industry friends. Their careers likely haven't crossed paths since 2007. Jay and Nas' relationship was always touch and go. They are not besties. So her trying to name drop as if it's so east to pick up the phone amd call her when she clearly didn't is a mess on her end. 

Yeah I know this is just stanning kicking in, not even judging you or nothing, but it's natural for a stan to defend their fave. But I think this situation is very complex. I wish things hadn't gotten to where it is with Kelis coming for Bey but it is what it is at this point. I still think given Kelis's circumstances people should offer some grace, but stans aren't the best to extend it especially when they feel their fave was slighted, as she kind of was. 

30 minutes ago, G'Day said:

But how is Kelis’ situation Beyoncé’s fault? So many people have sampled Kelis’ songs (that she doesn’t have publishing rights to) but now it’s a horrible issue because Beyoncé did it and only sampled a drum pattern?

I’m not arguing Kelis’ situation isn’t horrible but that user trying to compare it to someone trying to sample a Scooter-owned Taylor Swift song literally makes no sense. 

Just like Kelis coming for Beyoncé as if she’s stealing from her also makes no sense. Was she supposed to call Kelis and say “Hey, I want to sample some drums from one of your songs. I know you got f***ed in terms of publishing, so you don’t have any credits on that song, but is this okay?” It’s not even like she tried sampling Kelis’ vocals or lyrics that she wrote.

Some people are in here acting like Bey tried to buy Kelis’ masters from Pharrell or something. 

I do think it's courtesy to call someone if you're using their song. I remember Alicia trying to track Prince down for permission when his label held his masters. She could have just sampled it without telling Prince but I guess it is seen as a courtesy in the industry especially if you know the other artist/have been around them.

I don't think it's right for stans that dislike Beyonce to try and act like she was knowingly hurting Kelis/stealing from her but it's one of those situations that's spiralled and gotten to be an unfortunate mess.

And the first person that should be smacked for all of this is that thieving happy-off-key-singing Pharrell

How about she take that up with Pharell/Chad not bring Beyoncé into it when she sampled a song, in the correct ways. If Kelis isn’t given credit it’s bc she wasn’t credited on the original song so why would she be now? If that’s the case take that up with the neptunes, if the neptunes added kelis to the original so they Beyoncé would credit her but she’s not so that’s not nothing Beyoncé can do. This has no baring on her being a feminist. 

Those definitely sound like Kelis' vocals to me starting at 1:40 on Energy

7 minutes ago, Love4Janet said:

Those definitely sound like Kelis' vocals to me starting at 1:40 on Energy

Her vocals are not on the track

She can be happy that people will check out this song. Without Beyoncé no one would hear that song.

how is it theft when she doesn't own the song to begin with?? :confused:

2 hours ago, lonnie said:

I really don't know why we're going in circles when two things can be right at the same time. 

- Beyoncé didn't maliciously steal from Kelis

- Kelis is understandably angry 

I don't understand how some of you are trying to frame Kelis to be some attention seeker when she's never been one in an almost 25-year old career she's mostly kept off the drama :deadbanana4:

It's only the overly defensive Hive users that try to paint Kelis as stupid and illogical

They never see justice or logic, unless it's Beyonce

Visual representation of this whole situation:
FickleDeliciousAndalusianhorse-max-1mb.g

16 hours ago, bleuwaffle said:

kelis has always been on béyonce's mind. making house music in 2010, playing with the major lazer sample one year before 'run the world' :cupid:

I gasped!!! Bey is obsessed

Let’s put it this way if someone wanted to sample I Will Always Love You, they would have to contact Dolly and not Whitney. Would you contact Whitney out of politeness? For what? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.