Why do americans still use SMS and not WhatsApp?

Eóghan

Because it’s ugly

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Into The Void

• brazil

• magazine

• DonSiblon

3 hours ago, DirtyPony87 said:

This right here. Otherwise, I wish more people used it here because it’s far superior to SMS. Texting non-iPhone users is a nightmare sometimes and ruins any and all group chats.

How im a android user and txt iPhone users all the time.

5 hours ago, pavi said:

You can? My standard text message app is really just text messages and nothing more! Are you sure you're not talking about iMessage or a similar app, which incorporates online messaging and sms in one app? This is how long I haven't used sms, don't even know what you can do with it, lol

Maybe minutes is also why this is different. A lot of people in Europe still have some maximum on their minutes/sms, while their data bundles are huge and cheap. I have 20gb of data monthly for just over ten euros. Unlimited data is getting more common too

I'm in the US and most people have unlimited call/txt/data lol

Edited by Insanity

in australia as well idk many people that use whatsapp as their main messaging app.

i think most people here use FB messenger

Most people I know that use WhatsApp are 40+ yo women

iMessage is so much easier. We just all have iPhones here.

It's very rare that Americans call or text internationally so there's no need for it. 

However, now that I'm studying abroad in IE, I think I'll use What's App from now on cause it's easy as hell. 

It's mostly because of iMessage.

Hence, why a lot of them are morons about the blue vs green bubble thing.

In Latin America nobody uses SMS anymore (not even for free; and few know iMessage. Here only people with self-esteem problems use iPhones, to look like they have money, but that's another story), everybody uses WhatsApp (for casual conversations, video calls, work, education...), it is rare the person who does not use this app. Americans have always lived in a bubble isolated from the rest of the world.

Edited by bliaz

Unlimited texting is common here so most of us just use SMS.

I still use WhatsApp and Viber anyway to talk to family back in the Philippines.

I wish my boyfriend would switch to iPhone so we could use iMessage but he hates Apple and loves his android phone so I'm stuck with whatsapp even though I've always hated that app. 

And unlimited texts and calls are thing in other countries too btw. 

SMS? Can you even send that 1 minute long GIF of a dude using Nintendo Switch Joycon as a vibrator with that? 

iMessage sucks :keir:

we have WhatsApp for free in My country , you don’t  unlimited data, you will receive what’s app , Twitter and Facebook as free in your mobile plan even , even cheaper plans :mandown:

It doesn’t make sense for them to use WhatsApp in the US

But all my American friends here have to use it otherwise there’s literally no communication lmao, everyone here uses WhatsApp

Well, whatsapp is just easier sometimes. Especially, with a group of people who have IOS and Android. In my experience, those two don’t mix well. Idk if that’s gotten better, I assume it has. But, once we made the switch to WhatsApp, never looked back, 

12 hours ago, Insanity said:

How im a android user and txt iPhone users all the time.

Sending y’all multiple photos, videos, and files is always a nightmare. My point about group chat stands. We hate it when an Android user enters and iMessage group chat and ruins it for everyone. 

6 hours ago, arceus said:

SMS? Can you even send that 1 minute long GIF of a dude using Nintendo Switch Joycon as a vibrator with that? 

Ooh please do share :eli:

16 hours ago, stjosephprey4us said:

iMessage is the default. Why would I use a third party app as opposed to Whats literally built into my phone. Also, it’s 2022, get a grip

Right! I don’t know why some ppl Are acting so holier than thou. Like it’s an app :deadbanana2:

In the UK it's a pretty much an even split between iPhone users and Android users so WhatsApp is like the common ground I guess. Everyone in my circles uses WhatsApp (or Messenger if you don't have the person's number) because everyone can use it - especially for group chats where you have a mix of iPhone and Android users. Honestly the only time I use the built in Messages app on my iPhone is when I get texted a login verification code.

apple emojis >>>> 

plus iphone to iphone text message conversations are so easy and way better than any third party app. with my friends who have something other than an iphone we use whatsapp or fb messenger. 

Edited by shinyshimmery

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.