What's your major? Would you rewind and change it? Is it related to your job now?

Before Today

1. What's your major? Majored in Biology.

2. Why did you choose it? I love science, and thought I could go off and start a career in biological research in an academic setting.

3. Is the job prospects good for your career? Absolutely not, it's why I left academia and am starting a new job. If you want details about the corruption/crumbling infrastructure that is academia, please ask away, because I have fully realized now that a career as an academic is terrible for one's mental health, well-being, and financial stability. Also, the natural sciences tend to have a lot of problems with creating well-paying careers that are sustainable for one's financial and personal growth as an adult. I'm obviously excluding medicine/energy/environmental engineering type careers because we know those can be well-paying, but many in biological sciences programs (from my time teaching/mentoring) want to work outside of those sectors, and it's hard to tell students that it's a hard and potentially poor paying path to take.

4. Is your job now related to your major? No. I still work in research, but it's in a corporate setting, so I guess I applied my skills from scientific research to industry, but I could've gained the same skills in any other major with research components.

5. What department and what industry do you work in currently? I work in global research operations for tech/entertainment companies.

1. What's your major?

Social Sciences with Philosophy

2. Why did you choose it?

It was a broad degree and I enjoyed all departments (sociology, social policy, politics, philosophy), I'm indecisive and was scared to commit to s single subject.

3. Is the job prospects good for your career?

I'm not sure actually? My uni was quite good but I think for my degree it's the same as for any social science degree.

4. Is your job now related to your major?

Kinda. I work in civil service, but it's just a basic admin position for which you don't even need a degree.

5. What department and what industry do you work in currently?

See above. I plan to apply for a probation service qualification later this year though and for that you need a degree so I guess mine will come in handy, especially since I did some social policy too.

1. What's your major?

Social Work 

2. Why did you choose it?

It's the only thing that stuck out to me back in HS- Something I felt like I could do, and i wanted to make a difference in people's lives. I was also going to minor in early education but backed out. I wanted to take a quick break after college and go back to get my masters by the age of 25... I haven't gone back yet lol.

3. Is the job prospects good for your career?

Not really lol Social workers don't make much sadly, I think you could make up to 80K-90K in some places but you need a master's AND license. It's a lot of freaking work. I only have a BSW. 

4. Is your job now related to your major?

Yes kind of, I'm a case planner at a foster care agency, I worked at a homeless shelter for families before that. It's so tiring, I'm finally off for a week and return on Tuesday

5. What department and what industry do you work in currently?

^^^^

I'm up for a promotion to be a senior worker but I need to be certified at something called SBC, I hope I can get it done by September. I'd love to be a supervisor too. After another year at this job they'll pay for me to get my masters degree, hopefully I can last that long lol. 

What's your major?

Engineering 

Why did you choose it?

tenor.gif?c=VjFfbWljcm9zb2Z0X3N3aWZ0a2V5

Is your job now related to your major?

Yes.. It's complicated to explain but I work on submarines (maintaining them not being in one) 

What department and what industry do you work in currently?

The military

On 7/26/2022 at 5:02 AM, pxxxtrick said:

I majored in Communications and English. The job market is decent but during my first job I quickly realized I didn’t like writing/marketing/social media as much as I thought I would. 

I now work in HR in financial services. 

Not the exact same major but same ****.ing boat. 

I'm an undergraduate in Business Communication and honestly I love it :jonny2:

I also chose German as the additional language course :beatfreak:

My major is in Secondary Education with a concentration in English Language Arts. My Professional Educator License is for 9th-12th, and I can teach anywhere in my state (and other U.S. states that have reciprocity with my state). I also am certified/endorsed to teach 5th-8th grade. So, I can teach both middle and high schoolers English in all of Illinois-- at the very least. 

I'm honestly glad I only spent 4 years to get my PEL and endorsement. I know friends who majored in something they couldn't find work in post-graduation, and then had to take all the exams and do training in their late 20s/early 30s (some of my classmates were in their 40s). It's never bad to change majors, but when you change your career a little later in life, that motivation to study (and then having bills hanging over your head and juggling work) is gone. 

Part of me wishes I went straight into medical school after receiving my BS (and majoring in one of the sciences, so pre-med would be covered), but I am also not a fan of being hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, having at least 3 years of residency on top of that, being on call, and basically never having time off. Of course, you can adjust your hours once you're attending, but you also want to pay off that debt. 

My dream is to be a film director-- specifically for movies. I would love to direct/write/edit independent cinema, however, I'm not rich by any means, nor do I know famous people. 

Being a teacher was a nice compromise because my state pays decently for teachers (especially if you are in the city's union), we have great benefits, and you can still be creative on and off the job. The sucky part? During the school year, I have zero work/life balance. Last year, I was lucky to get 5 hours of sleep a night. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.