Elton John & Britney Spears - "Hold Me Closer"

nathanspears

23 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

Elton's website says it's limited to 4 per customer so they must be assuming fans will buy multiple copies?

Yeah, i read somewhere that 4 sales can count per credit card for the charts, idk i could be mistaken, idk about the point system.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nathanspears

• Erreur2 La Nature

• Alexz

• Ghiles

Global Spotify Artist:

Britney #110 (-2)

US Spotify Artist:

Britney #127 (-6)

A top 10 would be amazing but #12 is already very good :heart2:

It makes no sense to me how actual sales are less and less valuable to Billboard though.

I hope the music video will be as colorful and pretty as Cold Heart music video! My 2 year old nephew loves that video!

Just now, Bloodflowers. said:

I hope the music video will be as colorful and pretty as Cold Heart music video! My 2 year old nephew loves that video!

I imagine a full-on 70s disco vibe with Taron as Elton :duca:

5 hours ago, BradySpears said:

Great. I'll purchase

3 hours ago, TrieLz said:

I think only physical single copies that allows up to 4 time purchase at once.

Billboard changes the rules this year to stop mass buying for digital single purchase,

only 1 digital copy from one account. 

so we can buy 1 digital copy in each different store (iTunes, Amazon, Elton’s webstore, etc)

This.

3 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

A top 10 would be amazing but #12 is already very good :heart2:

It makes no sense to me how actual sales are less and less valuable to Billboard though.

It DOES make sense. sales are the weakest consumption outside of rabid fans.

The top percentage goes to streaming the strongest consumption of music then radio which is still stronger than sales. Sales trail as they should.

Right is right and wrong is wrong.

Do we have the radio update?

1 minute ago, slw84 said:

The top percentage goes to streaming the strongest consumption of music then radio which is still stronger than sales. Sales trail as they should.

But streaming, especially on Spotify, relies too much on playlists

It sucks for smaller artists whose only chance of charting is by going viral somehow

Just now, slw84 said:

No, it doesn't. Sales means people putting actual effort to give their hard earned money away for something that they value. It's the highest form of success that a song can achieve. It requires nothing to click play and listen for free. Just like it requires nothing to like a post on Facebook or retweet something on Twitter. That's why the value is zero. But it takes all the effort in the world to convince someone to part with their money which they traded time and labor to earn. That's them saying that they value your music more than their work.

Sales should ALWAYS be the top contender in measuring how big a song is. If it's only fan-driven then it will only last a couple of weeks. The same group people can't afford to keep a song afloat for months. It requires participation from the GP to do that.

Global #38 (-8) 1,842,785

USA #29 (-8) 499,708

UK #25 (+1) 134,466

Partial: 86,184
Day 1: 3,133,797
Day 2: 2,448,600
Day 3: 1,769,973
Day 4: 1,959,035
Day 5: 1,842,785

1 minute ago, Donquizote said:

UK #25 (+1) 134,466

:party:

2 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

Global #38 (-8) 1,842,785

USA #29 (-8) 499,708

Not terrible but it REALLY needs to be put on Todays Top Hits :gaycatney5:

Probably did around 2m unfiltered today. It is relatively stable in streams but like other users said TTH would be a big help this Friday.

POP:
-- 27 ELTON JOHN & BRITNEY SPEARS Hold Me Closer 2950 0 2950 12.502

+487 Spins
+487 Bullet
+1.575 Audience

HOT AC:
-- 20 ELTON JOHN & BRITNEY SPEARS Hold Me Closer 1262 0 1262 5.488

+268 Spins
+268 Bullet
+0.849 Audience

AC:
-- 13 ELTON JOHN & BRITNEY SPEARS Hold Me Closer 273 0 273 2.003

+52 Spins
+52 Bullet
+0.219 Audience

HOT AC slaying:gaycatney1:

Midweek Charts Germany
26 (new) Hold Me Closer

Germany Spotify
#80 Hold Me Closer (+11)

Hopefully it will stay at that position or even rise a couple of spots! I don't think it can reach top 20, though. 

Apple Music US:

#59 (-7)

57 minutes ago, Flawfree said:

No, it doesn't. Sales means people putting actual effort to give their hard earned money away for something that they value. It's the highest form of success that a song can achieve. It requires nothing to click play and listen for free. Just like it requires nothing to like a post on Facebook or retweet something on Twitter. That's why the value is zero. But it takes all the effort in the world to convince someone to part with their money which they traded time and labor to earn. That's them saying that they value your music more than their work.

Sales should ALWAYS be the top contender in measuring how big a song is. If it's only fan-driven then it will only last a couple of weeks. The same group people can't afford to keep a song afloat for months. It requires participation from the GP to do that.

I wasn't asking a question...

OGq7.gif

So I will cover it again. Streaming is the strongest consumption of music; therefore, it yields the highest percentage on the hot 100; radio is next in line. 
People hate on radio because they never listen to it but millions and millions of people still do listen to it. Sales are no longer the strongest form of consumption and are actually the weakest and that's reflected in it's percentage but also many artists need to game the system by tipping the scale to pretend that stans willing to buy something 4 times on 2 or more credit cards does not represent one obsessed fan; instead, represents total popularity. As Sales is the easiest to manipulate rules are in place to regulate it. If it were so strong then stans wouldn't have to use it in mass buying. Back in the digital domination mass buying wasn't an issue BECAUSE sales were the strongest form of consumption so other strategies (remixes, clean/explicit, waiting until the song peaks on radio and the artist does promo for a boost and hopeful peak etc.)

I would love for every sale of HMC to count but i know some will be scrubbed disqualifying mass purchasing...and that's ok.

Anyways, stream HMC 

countess-vaughn-moesha.gif

1 hour ago, nathanspears said:

But streaming, especially on Spotify, relies too much on playlists

It sucks for smaller artists whose only chance of charting is by going viral somehow

Fair but that's how it is now. Playlisting doesn't guarantee that people will like it enough to stream it entirely or multiple times. It's just like people being pushed for promotion but don't sell (Tori Kelly)...people still have to buy into it.

Smaller artists always had to find other ways to get to the top and it does suck but it's reality.

As much as I want every HMC sale to count i'm sure some will be scrubbed and that's Billboard regulating after watching many artist tip the scale over the past two years.

Trust me, I WISH sales counted more just for this week only as it would benefit Britney but i understand why Billboard made their change.

They scrub out mass streaming as well.

2 hours ago, nathanspears said:

Elton's website says it's limited to 4 per customer so they must be assuming fans will buy multiple copies?

That’s exactly what I thought. The only thing I can come up with is maybe RIAA still counts 4 sales per transaction!

16 minutes ago, slw84 said:

I wasn't asking a question...

OGq7.gif

So I will cover it again. Streaming is the strongest consumption of music; therefore, it yields the highest percentage on the hot 100; radio is next in line. 
People hate on radio because they never listen to it but millions and millions of people still do listen to it. Sales are no longer the strongest form of consumption and are actually the weakest and that's reflected in it's percentage but also many artists need to game the system by tipping the scale to pretend that stans willing to buy something 4 times on 2 or more credit cards does not represent one obsessed fan; instead, represents total popularity. As Sales is the easiest to manipulate rules are in place to regulate it. If it were so strong then stans wouldn't have to use it in mass buying. Back in the digital domination mass buying wasn't an issue BECAUSE sales were the strongest form of consumption so other strategies (remixes, clean/explicit, waiting until the song peaks on radio and the artist does promo for a boost and hopeful peak etc.)

I would love for every sale of HMC to count but i know some will be scrubbed disqualifying mass purchasing...and that's ok.

Anyways, stream HMC 

I wasn't asking a question either......

Based on what you said, if streaming is the strongest then logically it should have the smallest component. The strength of the medium will still power results. It doesn't make any sense to make one component the strongest AND the biggest at the same time because then it unfairly tips the balance to only one side while neglecting the other two.

Let's not even get into how ****ing easy it is for a small group of stans to make a playlist and use bots to inflate numbers to make it seem like their fave is more popular than they really are. Again, it takes no effort to manipulate because it's free and therefore there are no barriers.

At this point why even call it the Billboard Charts? Just surrender to Spotify and let their charts dictate the top 100 songs each week.

1 hour ago, °ColdFire° said:

POP:
-- 27 ELTON JOHN & BRITNEY SPEARS Hold Me Closer 2950 0 2950 12.502

+487 Spins
+487 Bullet
+1.575 Audience

HOT AC:
-- 20 ELTON JOHN & BRITNEY SPEARS Hold Me Closer 1262 0 1262 5.488

+268 Spins
+268 Bullet
+0.849 Audience

AC:
-- 13 ELTON JOHN & BRITNEY SPEARS Hold Me Closer 273 0 273 2.003

+52 Spins
+52 Bullet
+0.219 Audience

HOT AC slaying:gaycatney1:

Glad she's getting Hot AC and AC support

Apparently you can only buy 1 digital copy per card on Elton’s site

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.