Variety skulldrags Marvel actors: No star power, flops outside MCU

Vin

It’s true. Robert Downey is so overrated. Has he even got a lead movie that smashed. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Happylittlepunk

• tiagol88

• Sharapov

• Zoe_

Both Scarlett Johansson (Lucy) and Tom Holland (Uncharted) have led films that have made more than $100M domestic and $400M WW.

The overall point stands though. The age of the movie star is largely over, and most Marvel actors certainly aren’t up for carrying the mantle.

Why should the MCU be in charge of producing mega stars in the first place? :rip:

Their casting has remained solid over the years, anyway.

It's not just a Marvel problem, though. Hollywood has transitioned away from the movie star model and has gone all-in on IP. Of course, that leaves actors little room for actors to cultivate a persona the way that Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, etc. did before the 2000s. The problem for Hollywood is that there's only so much IP they can adapt before there's either nothing left, or people get sick of it. Then, they're kind of assed out.

I think one thing that Hollywood is experimenting with is Hollywood biopics, where they cast current stars as older "golden age Hollywood" stars to kind of adapt the mystique for the modern era. Ana de Armas is playing Marilyn Monroe, Tom Holland is playing Fred Astaire, Chris Evans is doing Gene Kelly, and the list goes on. (I wrote about in depth here.) I don't know if it'll work (we'll see if Blonde plays well and Ana gets the Oscar nomination everyone is expecting, but I think Hollywood is realizing that their current model is unsustainable and they need something, or true-blue movie stars, to get people to return to theaters.

The "butts in seats" household names in acting are LONG gone. It's not just the superhero movies, no one is a consistent draw

Also, superhero movies are, sadly, the only genre that reliably gets people to go to a theatre anyway. The highest grossing movies of 2021 were mainly superhero movies, franchises, Disney stuff and low-tier thrillers. The only outlier was a lame comedy starring Ryan Reynolds and The Rock, who also owe their popularity to superhero movies and franchises. There isn't a single drama or social film or romance or historical... Nothing of the sort that a capable actor would shine in. So, it's not just a matter of MCU actors flopping outside of superhero flicks. It's a matter of almost everyone flopping outside of superhero flicks

And btw, the less we praise Tom Cruise's star power the better. For several reasons.

Scarlet & RDJ can still sell movies I think

32 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

The "butts in seats" household names in acting are LONG gone. It's not just the superhero movies, no one is a consistent draw

Also, superhero movies are, sadly, the only genre that reliably gets people to go to a theatre anyway. The highest grossing movies of 2021 were mainly superhero movies, franchises, Disney stuff and low-tier thrillers. The only outlier was a lame comedy starring Ryan Reynolds and The Rock, who also owe their popularity to superhero movies and franchises. There isn't a single drama or social film or romance or historical... Nothing of the sort that a capable actor would shine in. So, it's not just a matter of MCU actors flopping outside of superhero flicks. It's a matter of almost everyone flopping outside of superhero flicks

And btw, the less we praise Tom Cruise's star power the better. For several reasons.

Didn’t Gaga Gucci did very well for a movie within the drama genre back in 2021.

They don’t lack star power. It’s versatility. 

MCU is too big and they end up being in 10 movies so people only see or care about them as their marvel hero. 

Chris Evans has had a successful acting career though so I don’t get that.

47 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Didn’t Gaga Gucci did very well for a movie within the drama genre back in 2021.

Apparently not well enough to be in the top 20. Without the big names attached, it would probably not get distribution at all and end up on Hulu or Amazon. Just like Scorsese was refused distribution for The Irishman and had to go to Netflix - and have 80% of viewers stop watching the movie half way through anyway. None of those people would have gone to the theatre to watch it

Hmmm I’m not sure it applies to everyone.

Downey has Sherlock Holmes

Tom Holland just had Uncharted

Scarlett has Lucy, Marriage Story

Chris Pratt carried Jurassic World

probably just for Hemsworth and Evans?

4 hours ago, Dark Miracles said:

It's true but let's not act like Tom Cruise is the end all be all of movie stars when I'm pretty sure he's had several box office bombs in the past 10 years, The Mummy remake was just a few years ago after all.

Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock are much more impressive box office stars IMO

Mission impossible alone is bigger than anything those two ever did ..

Are they really praising Tom as if he didn't flop with some of his movies before Top Gun?

51 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

That doesn't make what that user said any less true. If we compare their movies during last and this decade, here is what we get:

Sandra Bullock: 

The Heat: $227M ($43M budget)

Gravity: $723M ($100M)

Minions: $1,159M ($74M)

Our Brand Is Crisis: $8 ($28M)

Ocean's 8: $298M ($90M)

Bird Box went viral, is one of the most watched movies on Netflix ever.

The Unforgivable is a Netflix movie.

The Lost City: $190M ($68M)

Tom Cruise:

Oblivion: $288M ($120M)

Edge of Tomorrow: $370.5M ($178M)

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation: $682M ($150M)

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: $162.1M ($65M)

The Mummy: $410M ($195M)

American Made: $134M ($50M)

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: $791M ($178M)

Top Gun: White People: $1,249M ($170M)

Seems like all of Tom's projects that were smashes are all due to nostalgia, sequels and a huge flop like The Mummy.

20 minutes ago, abrahamjmr said:

That doesn't make what that user said any less true. If we compare their movies during last and this decade, here is what we get:

Sandra Bullock: 

The Heat: $227M ($43M budget)

Gravity: $723M ($100M)

Minions: $1,159M ($74M)

Our Brand Is Crisis: $8 ($28M)

Ocean's 8: $298M ($90M)

Bird Box went viral, is one of the most watched movies on Netflix ever.

The Unforgivable is a Netflix movie.

The Lost City: $190M ($68M)

Tom Cruise:

Oblivion: $288M ($120M)

Edge of Tomorrow: $370.5M ($178M)

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation: $682M ($150M)

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: $162.1M ($65M)

The Mummy: $410M ($195M)

American Made: $134M ($50M)

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: $791M ($178M)

Top Gun: White People: $1,249M ($170M)

Seems like all of Tom's projects that were smashes are all due to nostalgia, sequels and a huge flop like The Mummy.

Top Gun ALONE grossed more than The Heat, Gravity, Ocean's 8... together. That's half the movies you listed :rip:

Add another 1.5 billion from both those two mission impossible movies and you have close to 3b from 3 movies alone once Top Gun is done its course, lmao.

And saying they are sequels as if that's a bad thing :deadbanana4: if those sequels were made is because people showed up to watch the previous movies. It's called demand.

Let's also not forget Tom Cruise started a decade before Sandra and of course he has his flops but so does she...quite a lot actually. Every time she tries a sequel, they are usually flops...

Tom Cruise is getting more than 100M from the box office for Top Gun....alone. no actor ever had these checks before I history.

Edited by tiagol88

1 hour ago, tiagol88 said:

Matrix changed the culture and Gravity has the awards to back up up the major box-office.

Not people here acting like lame comic book superhero movies is “all that’s left to do” now. 

It’s overall mediocrity and lack of taste plaguing movie goers what’s killing quality in movie theaters. If movie makers started pushing the box and doing interesting things again people would be willingly go back to see what they do (see Everything Everywhere All At Once).  It’s all a regrettable vicious circle. 

Edited by Mr.Link

3 minutes ago, Zoe_ said:

Matrix changed the culture and Gravity has the awards to back up up the major box-office.

Great. And Mission impossible isn't a meme 6 or 7 movies into the franchise unlike the Matrix after 4. :deadbanana4:

Tom Cruise has Mission impossible (6 hit movies so far from one franchise), 2 Top Gun movies, Interview with the Vampire, Minority Report, The Last Samurai, War of the World's, Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky, etc etc.

There's also one Mission impossible movie coming out per year for the next 2 years... wanna bet those will be hits as well? :rip:

Tom Cruise is having box office movie hits since 1983. That's nearly 40 years ago. 

Like I'm not saying Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock suck or have a bad career... I'm just saying I really can't think of a single movie star that can sell big blockbuster movies for 4 decades like Tom Cruise including those two. It's not that they aren't box office draws... it's just that they can't reach his level, that's all. 

Haven’t critics been lashing Marvel for years now :rip:

I think Chadwick Boseman was on his way to doing great things. he had a few films lined up prior to his death. Plus, he was truly a talented guy. 

yeah they are all mediocre actors except a few of them who were established before like Scarlet and to a lesser extent RDJ.

3 hours ago, blewis1103 said:

It's not just a Marvel problem, though. Hollywood has transitioned away from the movie star model and has gone all-in on IP. Of course, that leaves actors little room for actors to cultivate a persona the way that Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, etc. did before the 2000s. The problem for Hollywood is that there's only so much IP they can adapt before there's either nothing left, or people get sick of it. Then, they're kind of assed out.

I think one thing that Hollywood is experimenting with is Hollywood biopics, where they cast current stars as older "golden age Hollywood" stars to kind of adapt the mystique for the modern era. Ana de Armas is playing Marilyn Monroe, Tom Holland is playing Fred Astaire, Chris Evans is doing Gene Kelly, and the list goes on. (I wrote about in depth here.) I don't know if it'll work (we'll see if Blonde plays well and Ana gets the Oscar nomination everyone is expecting, but I think Hollywood is realizing that their current model is unsustainable and they need something, or true-blue movie stars, to get people to return to theaters.

this

it's kinda unfair to say this is only exclusive to marvel actors

no one has star power now, even the rock fell off

90s and 00s had a lot of character-driven hits that relied on their stars to sells (even action films like minority report and man on fire) it's not like that with the current blockbusters

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.