Variety skulldrags Marvel actors: No star power, flops outside MCU

Vin

13 minutes ago, Sharapov said:

agreed. tom cruise, brad pitt, leo, will smith, julia roberts... those were actual STARS who could carry films

the marvel people are FACELESS

funny enough pratt aka the most hated one is the only one who can carry movies by himself

bx2U1Vi.gif

For the most part, this post is spot on 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Happylittlepunk

• tiagol88

• Sharapov

• Zoe_

I mean, I’m not really sure how fair it is to target Marvel actors specifically when it’s a recurring trend in nearly any franchise that few if any stars go on to become major box office draws. The same holds true of Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Hunger Games (outside of JLaw), Star Wars…

The leads of Twilight basically had to spend a decade starring in indie films in order to get their careers to a point where they got an Oscar nomination (Kristen) and a huge franchise smash (Pattinson). Most of the problem is that these stars keep choosing obviously bad projects that not even their potential star power could save.

They need to be more discerning, as we’ve seen with Johansson, Cumberbatch, and Hiddleston to name a few. 

We’ve known this for a while. Outside Marvel almost all of them flop at the box office. 

It looks the media finally turning on Marvel. 

11 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

I mean, I’m not really sure how fair it is to target Marvel actors specifically when it’s a recurring trend in nearly any franchise that few if any stars go on to become major box office draws. The same holds true of Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Hunger Games (outside of JLaw), Star Wars…

The leads of Twilight basically had to spend a decade starring in indie films in order to get their careers to a point where they got an Oscar nomination (Kristen) and a huge franchise smash (Pattinson). Most of the problem is that these stars keep choosing obviously bad projects that not even their potential star power could save.

They need to be more discerning, as we’ve seen with Johansson, Cumberbatch, and Hiddleston to name a few. 

Marvel has made more films with more actors than Star Wars, Harry Potter and Hunger Games have combined though? They just can’t make stars. 

I’m even more shocked that Top Gun is pulling those numbers :deadbanana: 

32 minutes ago, Sharapov said:

agreed. tom cruise, brad pitt, leo, will smith, julia roberts... those were actual STARS who could carry films

the marvel people are FACELESS

funny enough pratt aka the most hated one is the only one who can carry movies by himself

bx2U1Vi.gif

Outside of Jurassic world movies Chris Pratt is actually flopping. He was never the draw of those movies. I mean his social media engagement is very low for someone who done so many big screen projects espcially compared to his other co-stars. That’s why he focusing only on doing amazon prime exclusive films cause he has no real box office draw like those movie stars.

Variety is just mad that they kept spoiling the MCU movies and everyone came for them. They are the flops 

38 minutes ago, Vin said:

d688d8fbb6845fff52fd9248b378f88a.gif

Tom Holland is not going to grow. He has no range... at all, and it's been that way for a long while. Tom Holland thinks having watery eyes with a little fake blood on his face makes him a "dramatic actor." It was embarrassing how he was playing Peter Parker in "Uncharted." :rip: (And he used the "watery eyes with a little fake blood on his face" tactic again in that film.)

Some Marvel actors "don't count" in the "no star power" criticism, like Elizabeth Olsen. She likes indie projects and isn't aiming for megastar success after she's done with Marvel, unlike other Marvel actors who continually flop by hopping from one failed franchise to another outside of MCU.

bx2U1Vi.gif

...Vin

Tom Holland is still young and he just been terrible picking bad projects. He clearly wants to diversified and doesn’t want to be stuck in a mold of mcu movies. He still has a lot room for growth. I am sure the pressure is on him now that his own girlfriend zendaya has become a bigger star herself and manage to make herself into an acclaim actress and Emmy winner and is being misled to become a A- list actress by Hollywood on her own. Tom will either way learn to adapt and become a superstar actor like zendaya  or be left in the dust.

4 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Outside of Jurassic world movies Chris Pratt is actually flopping. He was never the draw of those movies. I mean his social media engagement is very low for someone who done so many big screen projects espcially compared to his other co-stars. That’s why he focusing only on doing amazon prime exclusive films cause he has no real box office draw like those movie stars.

JW is huge [/end]

That's what happens when studios decides to rely on generic IPs instead of supporting good movies and talented actors with actual star quality

Now they're stuck with all these talentless, faceless himbos who can't open any other movie

We have to give it to the women of mcu the fact they overal do better with there careers than the men, despite mcu being such a straight men focused demographic genre. 
:clap3:

Tbh, Tom flops outside of his franchise pictures. This is why he’s starring in Mission Impossible 8 or 9. No difference between that franchise and marvel. 

He hit luck with another sequel “Top Gun” 

what was his last original film that didn’t flop? Maybe War of the World in 2006

His Mummy remake flopped so hard that Universal stopped production on the Monster Universe they were planning to create/even took a group promo photo. 

the last real stars who constantly command an audience are Leo and Sandra. They’ll guarantee your budget back and over 100 million at the box office 

Chris Patt has had hits outside of the MCU and has Jurassic World. The others...not so much

Scarlett is doing well. 

Yes. Marvel is the McDonalds of cinema and everyone who seriously likes that franchise is boring and needs to acquire some developed taste :gaycat:

Micheal Fassbander is a woman beater

8tzTm7L.gif

He is also a total box office poison outside of his little stunt on X-MEN

2 hours ago, Vin said:

Marvel took the box office hostage in the early aughts, putting an interchangeable array of Chrises in spandex and masks.

:deadbanana:

I mean, it's true. Off the top of my head, the only people In the MCU that can carry a film (based on acting skills alone) are like... ScarJo, Elizabeth Olsen, Chris Pratt and Benedict? :deadbanana:

Marvel movies, and Superhero films at large (though there are excellent exceptions) do not center acting performances, and given the appeal, are usually very successful. It's not very surprising then to see actors that act in these films barely scrape by in other films... 

I'd argue that the problem is even more egregious on the DC side. I like DC characters a lot, but lord knows the movies are a MESS and a half despite an objectively more talented, seasoned cast in most cases (Ben Affleck, Will Smith, Margot Robbie etc.) 

They dont lie. Most of them have no star power outside of Marvel movies. 

yeah i do think MANY actors from marvel arent good actors at all, theyre just good superheroes 

but theres also a lot outstanding multifaceted actors there too

2 hours ago, MingYouToo said:

I just don't think the correlation isn't there. I think its more of a case of the 'Hollywood megastar' dying out the same way the Beyonce's and the Taylor's of the music industry are an ancient and dying breed, name me ONE Hollywood actor post 2010s that has that instantaneous box office pull, not even Jennifer Lawrence had that.  

I mean sure you have Holland, Downey and Hemsworth who are all lowkey flops outside of their Marvel roles but you also have Johannson who has been smashing it with Marriage Story + Jojo Rabbit, Pugh who had had nonstop bangers with Midsommar + Little Women + now the highly anticipated Don't Worry Darling, Zendaya who has had a fruitful career outside of being MJ (Euphoria, Dune).

I think its also important to note that the MCU has actors who, while not being box office juggernauts, have had acclaimed roles left right and center. Case in point: Elizabeth Olsen. She's more publicly known as both Wanda and the lost Olsen sister but she's had a string of critically acclaimed projects from Silent House (amazing horror film btw), Martha Marcy May, Wind River, Oldboy, Sorry For Your Loss, Ingrid Goes West. Case in point #2: Benedict Cumberbatch. He has his blockbuster smashes with Dr. Strange but also has amazing TV presence with Dr. Who, has amazing ACCLAIMED roles (something Tom Cruise will never see the light of day with) with The Imitation Game, Power of the Dog (best film of 2021 imo) and Courier.

Some MCU actors are just not the type to be blockbuster pulls and are more of the indie type and I think its reflective with how they chose to go to the MCU (a lot of them say 'they want the big superhero movie every now and then then return to small dramatic roles').

tl;dr: mcu actors having no star power is less of a 'the mcu cant produce talent' but more of the hollywood star dying out because of big franchises taking over instead of the big 'star actor'.

Sis wtf, tom cruise has had a lot of acclaimed roles, far more iconic too

1 hour ago, Gui Blackout said:

That's what happens when studios decides to rely on generic IPs instead of supporting good movies and talented actors with actual star quality

Now they're stuck with all these talentless, faceless himbos who can't open any other movie

You spilled. Now the movie industry is eating itself and all that remains is those cringy kids movies with capes and spandex.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.