Adele Credited For UK Music Industry's Soaring Popularity

OrgVisual

Truly the UK Music Industry :clap3: :clap3: 

Atrl doesn’t like to hear this. Please hide this thread. 

It's not cute to give all the credit for that to Adele when BPI specifically mentioned that this happened thanks to a LOT of UK artists achieving success globally. 

"The UK’s record music export numbers were led by the success of global superstars such as AdeleDaveDua LipaEd Sheeran and Sam Smith, as well as the [...] heritage artists including The BeatlesQueen and Elton John. The most-streamed track of 2021 in [...] Germany [...] was led by Nathan Evans."

"This new peak was driven by a record number of UK artists last year each achieving 100 million-plus global streams. Not only superstars [...] but many emerging and breakthrough artists, including Glass AnimalsPinkPantheress and Rex Orange County."

But congrats to Adele because she obviously contributed. :clap3:

physical sales is where the money is at, I think the industry is happy that there are artists like adele who can still sell during the streaming era

13 minutes ago, Delirious said:

And Ellie Goulding :hippo:

as the resident ellie goulding stan i am really curious why your avatar has never been her :rip: we demand #DeliriousEGAvatar 

4 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

as the resident ellie goulding stan i am really curious why your avatar has never been her :rip: we demand #DeliriousEGAvatar 

Because I really love this icon (it's lowkey iconic) and people instantly recognize it. Also because Olivia O'Brien is underrated and it might get people to check her out..

I might change it when there's a really good pic/gif of Ellie so we'll see :cm:

Brits and especially Canadians seem to be overrepresented in the anglophone entertainment industry compared to Americans. Think of the largest pop stars of the past 30 years and so many of them are from these countries despite having much smaller populations. I wonder why this is?

55 minutes ago, Klein said:

It's not cute to give all the credit for that to Adele when BPI specifically mentioned that this happened thanks to a LOT of UK artists achieving success globally. 

"The UK’s record music export numbers were led by the success of global superstars such as AdeleDaveDua LipaEd Sheeran and Sam Smith, as well as the [...] heritage artists including The BeatlesQueen and Elton John. The most-streamed track of 2021 in [...] Germany [...] was led by Nathan Evans."

"This new peak was driven by a record number of UK artists last year each achieving 100 million-plus global streams. Not only superstars [...] but many emerging and breakthrough artists, including Glass AnimalsPinkPantheress and Rex Orange County."

Yep uk acts were in their bag last year :clap3:

:clap3: British artists regurgitating American music and selling it back. :clap3:

32 minutes ago, HASHTAGPOW said:

And the Sugababes :clap3:

:rip: Sugababes career is literally the opposite of exporting.

I would've said Natasha Bedingfield by a long shot

3 hours ago, Klein said:

The UK’s record music export numbers were led by the success of global superstars such as AdeleDaveDua LipaEd Sheeran and Sam Smith, as well as the [...] heritage artists including The BeatlesQueen and Elton John. The most-streamed track of 2021 in [...] Germany [...] was led by Nathan Evans

Not the little **** leaving all the details out :rip:

10 hours ago, Teen Idle said:

Brits and especially Canadians seem to be overrepresented in the anglophone entertainment industry compared to Americans. Think of the largest pop stars of the past 30 years and so many of them are from these countries despite having much smaller populations. I wonder why this is?

Because talents :clap3: 

11 hours ago, Klein said:

Dave who?

OT: Queen Of Pop especially in the UK! 

11 hours ago, Teen Idle said:

Since the beginning of the music industry the UK has historically had a huge proportion of some of the biggest music icons, considering its population is 67M vs 329M of America (that's almost four times bigger)

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Queen

Elton John

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac (has multiple American members but was founded by British men in London and its name derives of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, both of whom are British)

Phil Collins/Genesis

AC/DC (technically Australian but its founding members were born in Scotland)

Rod Stewart

Bee Gees

David Bowie

The Police/Sting

Coldplay

Obviously Adele and Ed now

It always surprised me how many of the artists everyone listened around me while I was growing up were British because I tended to believe all big artists were American. And it's gotten even bigger now, and yeah, Canada is now in contention with Britain as the biggest export of music

Like, if you go to Spotify right now, the most monthly listeners:

1. Ed Sheeran - British

2. The Weeknd - Canadian

3. Justin Bieber - Canadian

4. Harry Styles - British

5. Dua Lipa - British

6. Drake - Canadian

7. Bad Bunny - Puerto Rican

8. Doja Cat - American

9. Taylor Swift - American

10. Post Malone - American

11. Calvin Harris - British

12. David Guetta - French

13. Coldplay - British

14. J Balvin - Colombian

15. Imagine Dragons - American

The fact that there isn't an American artist until #8 and that there are only 4 in the top 15 is so weird.

OT: Adele and Ed in 2021, I would say Harry in 2022 tho... and Dua in 2020. But consistently there's been a huge UK artist dominating every year for the past few years

Cute, but Rita Ora deserved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.