How many continents are there?

TROPICUM

I was taught there are seven continents: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica.

But apparently for some countries there are only 6; combining both Americas. 

oprah-winfrey-so-what-is-the-truth-truth

Edited by TROPICUM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Azulito

• xxxlamb

• TROPICUM

• flower moon

Top Posters In This Topic

Europe and Asia are connected by a giant flat plain. They are not physically separate at all.

Oceania

artantica

north pole

the americas

europe 

asia

africa

i counted 7

seven GIF

Edited by Johnny Jacobs

I was taught that there are 7 continents in school. I suppose we can argue that there are two large interconnected landmasses, Afro-Eurasia and the Americas, but can be split into 5 culturally distinct 'continents' (plus Australia and Antarctica). 

10 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

I was taught there are seven continents: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica.

But apparently for some countries there are only 6; combining both Americas. 

oprah-winfrey-so-what-is-the-truth-truth

There is only 1 AMERICA (the continent)... then, if we subdivide if anything is not 2 but 3... North America ( from Mexico and above), Central America (From Guatemala to Panama) and South America (From Colombia to Argentina)... the whole "North America & South America" thing is something white people started teaching in their countries to feel apart and superior from the rest of Latinamerica (which encompasses all spanish speaking countries in that 1 American continent , and this is a cultural division, not geographical)

1 minute ago, J Legend X said:

There is only 1 AMERICA (the continent)... then, if we subdivide if anything is not 2 but 3... North America ( from Mexico and above), Central America (From Guatemala to Panama) and South America (From Colombia to Argentina)... the whole "North America & South America" thing is something white people started teaching in their countries to feel apart and superior from the rest of Latinamerica (which encompasses all spanish speaking countries in that 1 American continent , and this is a cultural division, not geographical)

Ok but I was taught that it was North America (Canada, USA & Mexico) and South America (Every country below Mexico)

8 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

Ok but I was taught that it was North America (Canada, USA & Mexico) and South America (Every country below Mexico)

The system failed you then. 

9 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

North America is supposed to include Central America though

north and south america are on different tectonic plates so why would they be considered one continent? :toofunny3:

I was taught that there are 5 continents:

America

Asia

Africa 

Europe

Oceania

+ Antarctica 

23 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

:rip:

north america

south america

africa

Eurasia 

Australia 

Antarctica 

Where do y’all get these names? We only have 1 continent. Aren’t we all living in Pangea?

I don't know but KWANGYA is the best continent, hands down.

Although I can see the argument for Eurasia being one continent geographically 

• ATRL Moderator

7. Depends on how you were taught though. People getting upset about this need to touch grass :rip:

1 hour ago, J Legend X said:

North America includes Mexico and Central America so this doesn't even make sense.

1024px-Location_North_America.svg.png

Latin America doesn't only include Spanish-speaking countries btw.

Eurasia

Africa

Arabia

India 

Australia

North America

South America

Antarctica

What+Jumpstarted+Earth%2527s+Plate+Tecto

Edited by DesiredConsternation

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.