157 House Republicans Vote against Same-Sex Marriage

Horizon Flame

52 minutes ago, montacelo said:

What does it mean by “codify”???

It's hilarious that this bill may or MAY NOT pass in the Senate because it's a HUGE capitulation by the Dem party without them even admitting it. The bill doesn't even have the strength of the Obergefell decision, which basically forces all 50 states to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. This bill would simply recognize same sex marriages under federal law and force states to recognize all marriage licenses. 

So, let's say Obergefell DOES fall, well, simple, Texas or Kansas could ban same sex marriage, so a gay couple from those states would marry in Colorado or California and then for all legal purposes the state of Texas and Kansas would HAVE to recognize the marriage license, but this bill doesn't force them to issue those licenses.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's better than what would happen if Obergefell fell, but basically the Dems are so incredibly inept, devoid of true strong leadership right now and defeated that an argument which has the support of over 70% of Americans they can't even fully SUPPORT, and the right position would be a bill that codifies marriage for a couple of consenting adults across all 50 states. 

Also, I'm surprised that so many republicans FAIL to recognize that this bill doesn't put them into any kind of compromise with their deep red/safe red states, because they could vote yes, Obergefell falls in the 2024-2032 period and they could like leave pre-Obergefell state legislation standing banning same sex marriage in their states or make up new one. 

I would like to see it pass imply because I want democrats to stop acting like they truly care about us and force them to actually renew the party after they lose power in 2024. I will NEVER vote Republican, but I can't vote the useless Dem party under Biden/Chuck/Pelosi, it's useless leadership.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miss Show Business

• Communion

• A Bomb

• DirtyPony87

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so ****** up why are we even revisiting it? Like this is a total violation of human rights.

Truly bizarre how abortion rights and gay marriage, things that are overwhelmingly supported by the average American, are still under threat and have Republicans voting against them. Meanwhile right wingers are still pushing these meta narratives about “grooming” and drag queen story times :skull: 

57 minutes ago, Communion said:

And yet people still claim we need bipartisanship and to "veer towards the center". There is no center. It's us versus these fascists from hell. :skull:

This. Look at where voting for a centrist got us. And people thinking that it’s gonna get us anywhere voting for these chickenshït bipartisan pandering Democrats. :skull:

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Well good thing I live in a state where it will be legal anyways. :gaycat:

Until Republicans take control of the house and senate and possibly the presidency. With their control of the Supreme Court already they will roll back rights and put federal bans on it, living in a blue state won’t even matter. They’re already planning on pushing for federal bans on abortion

59 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

This is why I liked bernie. I was so tired of CENTRALIST. **** central  they dont like you. They never will like you!

Exactly

36 minutes ago, DirtyPony87 said:

This. Look at where voting for a centrist got us.

The whole reason Dobbs happened is because not enough people voted in 2016... :toofunny3:

13 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

The whole reason Dobbs happened is because not enough people voted in 2016... :toofunny3:

The Democrats only have themselves to blame for that. 

2 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

I’m surprised that many voted to protect it to be honest. :rip:

47 Republicans don't suck i guess

A little shocked

1 minute ago, DirtyPony87 said:

The Democrats only have themselves to blame for that. 

It's the Democrats fault? :bibliahh: Hillary Clinton WARNED US about SCOTUS and the left retaliated with "dOnT tHrEaTeN uS wItH tHe SuPrEmE cOuRt!"

Everything that woman said would happen, has slowly but surely happened. Third party voters and the no-shows who would've voted for Hillary are the reason for Dobbs, and subsequently the reason for all of the negative impacts of the previous administration.

This all could've been avoided. But now it's far too late. You would think by now people would GRASP that elections have consequences, but no... This forum has surely shown me that is not the case.

45 minutes ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

Until Republicans take control of the house and senate and possibly the presidency. With their control of the Supreme Court already they will roll back rights and put federal bans on it, living in a blue state won’t even matter. They’re already planning on pushing for federal bans on abortion

Then I’m ready for the death penalty. :gaycat:

I think it’s pretty clear that the house and senate GOP do not want federal laws for such things, they want state governments to have the only say.  Yikes :rip:

18 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

It's the Democrats fault? :bibliahh: Hillary Clinton WARNED US about SCOTUS and the left retaliated with "dOnT tHrEaTeN uS wItH tHe SuPrEmE cOuRt!"

Everything that woman said would happen, has slowly but surely happened. Third party voters and the no-shows who would've voted for Hillary are the reason for Dobbs, and subsequently the reason for all of the negative impacts of the previous administration.

This all could've been avoided. But now it's far too late. You would think by now people would GRASP that elections have consequences, but no... This forum has surely shown me that is not the case.

How are so perpetually committed to not only being clueless but always so out of depth? :deadbanana4:

Anyone with common sense: Dems need to stop calling for bipartisanship and stop enabling Republicans offering them deals and trusting them to be good. Republicans are evil. Stop trying to work with them. 

You: How dare you blame Democrats while not saying anything about REPUBLICANS??

Anyone with common sense: :skull:

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

Well good thing I live in a state where it will be legal anyways. :gaycat:

Great but that means if gays who want to get married, there is a higher chance they’ll move, which a mass migration is possible, that means the cost of living in liberal cities is going to skyrocket which is an even bigger problem 

3 hours ago, Communion said:

And yet people still claim we need bipartisanship and to "veer towards the center". There is no center. It's us versus these fascists from hell. :skull:

^This 100%. At this point, you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. 

3 hours ago, Element said:

NGL I was more surprised 47 voted for it, including Elise Stefanik who is like 3rd in their ranks 

MTE. 47/204 Republicans voting yes on this is actually quite shocking. That’s almost 25%  Then again, I wouldn’t be shocked if 25% of Republicans are stuck in the closet themselves ?

1 hour ago, Miss Show Business said:

They played a big role, yes. Clinton’s campaign was a disastrous, mismanaged shítshow from start to finish. And the DNC practically sabotaging Bernie’s campaign does play a huge role into what happened in 2016. 

Here we are in 2022 with a Democrat-led presidency, House, and Senate and look around. How did voting save us this time? The Democrats are incompetent and useless, and, yes, they are mostly to blame for what happened in 2016, along with the usual suspects. But the point is that Democrats aren’t going to save us - now or ever - they’ve only failed us. For decades. It’s time to stop trying to pander to those who only want to go backwards and push forward. 

1 hour ago, Communion said:

How are so perpetually committed to not only being clueless but always so out of depth? :deadbanana4:

How are you so perpetually committed to

a) quoting posts not directed towards you

And

b) always using ad hominems and never being able to state your point without clearly trying to offend? It's like you're completely incapable of making a point, so you insult everyone else's intelligence. :toofunny3:

29 minutes ago, DirtyPony87 said:

They played a big role, yes. Clinton’s campaign was a disastrous, mismanaged shítshow from start to finish. And the DNC practically sabotaging Bernie’s campaign does play a huge role into what happened in 2016. 

Here we are in 2022 with a Democrat-led presidency, House, and Senate and look around. How did voting save us this time? The Democrats are incompetent and useless, and, yes, they are mostly to blame for what happened in 2016, along with the usual suspects. But the point is that Democrats aren’t going to save us - now or ever - they’ve only failed us. For decades. It’s time to stop trying to pander to those who only want to go backwards and push forward. 

Clinton's campaign was imperfect. I won't deny that. Of course there are things she could have done differently. But I guess for me, it's like, how far can the blame go towards only her when the other option was Trump? Is not campaigning enough in the Midwest really an excuse when the other candidate was literally a disaster? (And such a huge threat to our democracy?)

Regarding the DNC, they might not have played completely fair, but in the end, Bernie took advantage of the party to run for President. If his intentions were genuine, maybe he would've stayed a Democrat after 2016, but he went back to being an Independent. Democrats didn't want Bernie to be the face of their party, and at the end of the day, nothing the DNC did would change that fact, as the votes clearly showed then and in 2020 that this wasn't what Democrats wanted.

I understand people are frustrated. But, Democrats have a razor thin congressional margin, especially in the Senate. The vote shown on this page shows that Democrats are absolutely willing to vote in favor of popular legislation. It's the Republicans who are out of touch and stonewalling popular legislation. Dems are doing what they can with their small majority. And before we say, "abolish the filibuster!", What's going to happen then when Republicans take back control of the Senate? It's going to bite Dems right in the ass.

Again, I understand that people are frustrated. But not voting only helps Republicans win and continue their attacks on equality, civil rights, healthcare, etc.

Very shocking news. Who could have thought this would ever happen? :bibliahh: 

? this is only the start. Hold on to your seats.

1 hour ago, Miss Show Business said:

Iunderstand people are frustrated. But, Democrats have a razor thin congressional margin, especially in the Senate.

I know you dont know this, because if the limitations you have to argue in good faith. Biden’s campaign for President is directly responsible for that thin margin. :toofunny3: The amount of articles about ballots having Biden at the top, and still voting  for Republicans in Congress. He even to this day is wasting 6 months with consultants to come up with “ultra maga” to avoid branding the whole Republican party as extreme. Like they actual are. This positioning is very damaging to Democrats. Biden, himself, was poison to the lower ballot. At some point you have to realize how ignorant you sound. :skull: I would hope at least. 

Just now, A Bomb said:

Biden, himself, was poison to the lower ballot. At some point you have to realize how ignorant you sound. :skull: I would hope at least. 

Biden outperformed AOC in her own district. If Biden's "ballot poison", then the alternative would be much worse. :toofunny3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.