Rihanna owns the masters to TIWYCF. Is a Taylor’s Version happening?

Taylor fanboy

I think yes since they are friendly, and are both business-minded. 

No. Why would Taylor cares if Rihanna own the master instead Calvin or the label? Taylor wrote the song with Calvin an decide to give it, she already own the songwriting royalties and publishing rights. Is not the same than better man and babe because that songs were part of the original red

Rih owning the masters means she owns the Calvin Harris x Rihanna recording of the song.

Taylor as the songwriter still maintains rights to it, hence why she was willing to perform it at those one-off shows in 2016. It would be interesting to hear a reworked version on Reputa TV.

It’s 2022, almost 2023. Why are you clinging to a 6 year old song when your fav dropped new material 2 weeks ago :rip:

3 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

No, why would Rihanna give hand outs to Taylor? :deadbanana2:

If Taylor wanted (I don’t think so) Rihanna has nothing to say. Publishing right holders are the only one who can let or forbid to record a song (Taylor and Calvin are the publishing right holders) and in reality people can record and they just need to inform and pay royalties to them. Rihanna is just half owner of her own record not of the song 

moonlitdick
14 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

Taylor recording her own version would be interesting...

That would be awful.

19 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

The drop in TIWYCF is so underwhelming. I wonder if Taylor had any other initial visions of what kind of instrumental would fit around her lyrics, melodies and chords. It would definitely be an interesting project.

23 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

Let’s hope she doesn’t. :gaycat:

17 minutes ago, Folklore89sm said:

The drop in TIWYCF is so underwhelming. I wonder if Taylor had any other initial visions of what kind of instrumental would fit around her lyrics, melodies and chords. It would definitely be an interesting project.

Her vision was off-key vocals because that's exactly what she was giving when she covered the song live

The infatuation of a song that was released 6 years ago and Rihanna, herself, hasn’t BREATHED ON since one occasion in 2016.

Lord, please release the Swifties and whomever else from the shackles of this song. 

:hoetenks:

1 minute ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

The infatuation of a song that was released 6 years ago and Rihanna, herself, hasn’t BREATHED ON since one occasion in 2016.

Lord, please release the Swifties and whomever else from the shackles of this song. 

It’s not really anything personal or that deep tbh. Taylor is re-recording the songs she wrote. So far that has included songs written for other artists like Little Big Town and Sugarland. These songs ended up sounding different to the version the other artists put out. It’s possible she’ll do the same with the songs she wrote for Rihanna/Calvin and people can be speculate about what her versions could sound like if they will even exist at all. 

2 minutes ago, Folklore89sm said:

It’s not really anything personal or that deep tbh. Taylor is re-recording the songs she wrote. So far that has included songs written for other artists like Little Big Town and Sugarland. These songs ended up sounding different to the version the other artists put out. It’s possible she’ll do the same with the songs she wrote for Rihanna/Calvin and people can be speculate about what her versions could sound like if they will even exist at all. 

Well if we base it off the time she sung it herself I would say BAD. :gaycat:

no one is asking for this 

we don’t need it 

She can do a cover of the song and call it Taylor's Version, neither Rihanna nor Calvin have any say in that. Anyone can do a cover of a song.

I would be here for it. I loved the song when it came out and did not understand why Taylor didn't keep the track for herself but I was glad with Rih's delivery on the song. It would be nice to hear Taylor do a studio version. She is the songwriter of the lyrics and melody after all.

1 hour ago, Folklore89sm said:

Because she got screwed over by her original label. In this case, neither Rih or Calvin screwed her over. MOVE ON Swifties....

9 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

Because she got screwed over by her original label. In this case, neither Rih or Calvin screwed her over. MOVE ON Swifties....

The point is that it’s her song and she can do whatever the hell she wants with it.

If she does record it, she will likely take it in a different direction and do a slower acoustic style rendition similar to how she performed it live. I dont think she will bother trying to replicate Rih’s performance or Calvin’s production at all. 

2 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Probably has to do with the song being just another one of Rihanna's many global smashes while it could have been a potential second one for Taylor.

2 hours ago, Folklore89sm said:

The point is that it’s her song and she can do whatever the hell she wants with it.

And she should do it if she wants to. I doubt Rih would have a problem with it. Y'all brag daily how Taylor is a songwriter then seemingly forget how the music industry works. She's credited only as a writer and so the song is not hers because unlike her own songs where she's credited as the recording artist, she already gave away claims to that song when she gave it away to be recorded by Rihanna. Rihanna never stole anything from Taylor. Calvin literally chased after Rihanna to record the song and she did. If Taylor wanted the song so badly she would have recorded it and released it as her own, but she did not. Get over it already. The song is like six years old now and Taylor has released like six albums since, y'all have plenty of new material.

Lets hope not. Such a terrible song

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.