House set to take up bills protecting same-sex marriage, contraception access

Horizon Flame

About damn time

They should just draft up a bill for universal right to privacy; then watch as the Republicans basically admit they think no one deserves that right, and go against their BS "small government" talk.

59 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

They should just draft up a bill for universal right to privacy; then watch as the Republicans basically admit they think no one deserves that right, and go against their BS "small government" talk.

That might be too ambiguous for many Americans tbh.

Part of the gamble is that they need to be able to speak clearly about which rights Republicans oppose to signal directly to the affected groups how dire it is. :duck:

1 hour ago, Miss Show Business said:

100% this

I thought there was something written in Obergefell vs. Hodges that meant it couldn't be revoked or overturned anyway so why are the house able to protect these rights and why would the supreme court still be voting on it regardless of the fact? Also in the same vein of thought why didn't the house protect Roe vs. Wade if this is something they're able to stand in and do?

I'm not from the US and honestly generally confused about how the supreme court and house bills work at times. :skull: 

Edited by Jack!

will this protect the same sex marriage law for eternity or can future republican controlled house/senate overturn it?

2 hours ago, Mohit said:

will this protect the same sex marriage law for eternity or can future republican controlled house/senate overturn it?

A future Republican Congress could overturn it, yes. Congress would have to pass a constitutional amendment to codify it permanently. But, it would still need to be ratified by 38 states to become enshrined constitutionally, which wouldn’t be likely. 

Love to see it but unfortunately republicans will not let it happen 

I can already tell the Republican demons are going to go full force with trying to eradicate it. :mazen:

Edited by Hector

So that means like 50ish Republicans voted yes? Hmm... curious about the Senate math

Republicans that will pass it:

Susan Collins

Lisa Murkowski

Rob Portman (gay son)

Romney is the other usual flip vote but is a Mormon wingnut, I feel like Mitch will do everything in his power to filibuster it :skull: A mess. If bisexual Synema doesn't vote yes :skull: 

Edited by Beyonnaise

6 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

So that means like 50ish Republicans voted yes? Hmm... curious about the Senate math

Susan Collins

Lisa Murkowski

Rob Portman (gay son)

Romney is the other usual flip vote but is a Mormon wingnut, I feel like Mitch will do everything in his power to filibuster it :skull: A mess. If bisexual Synema doesn't vote yes :skull: 

47 R’s voted yes

42 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

Susan Collins

Lisa Murkowski

Rob Portman (gay son)

Nothing ever gets done in this country because of the stupid fillibuster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.