Dan Levy Fumbled The Bag Big Time By Cancelling Schitt's Creek. Agreed?

AbeHicks

As we all know, the  beloved slow-burner hit comedy "Schitt's Creek" was put to an end before it's time because of the show creator, Dan Levy's wishes just as it started peaking in popularity, because he wanted to move on to other projects and not be known for just that show. 2 whole years later, he accomplished next to nothing. He had a very small supporting role in a streaming-only hulu movie, and besides that, he was not cast in anything noteworthy, and his new idea was not developed.

Do you think he regrets cancelling the one thing that made him relevant? And is there anything he can do to come back?

Dan-Levy-in-an-Instagram-selfie-as-seen-

He's so handsome :gaycat4:

I wish the show wasn't coming to an end right when I discovered it, but I mean... he had been working on it for years by then :rip: he should revamp it anyways. The characters were good and the stories were funny

Nah, he got out right as the show was peaking in terms of acclaim and fandom; it went out on a huge high and its legacy will be all the better for it. The story needed to end also. 

it went out just as the time was right. at an absolute push it could’ve gone for 1 more mini-season but anything more and it would’ve slumped

now that it’s been a bit of time he can get away with making a movie or a 4-part mini reboot tho

It was actually probably the perfect time to end it. They probably could have gotten another season or two out given it seemed to really gain traction in popularity around seasons 4/5, but the fact that it was written with an intended conclusion in mind solidified people enjoying the last season a lot. 

Plus he could revisit the universe if he wanted to, really, and probably have a good amount of excitement for it.

Definitely not. It went out at the perfect time. The final season was loved by fans and for critical acclaim.

Plus he won like 4 Emmys for the final season, and Eugene, Catherine and Annie won Emmys too because of the final season effect.

No. The way that show slid under the radar was iconic and everything happened as it should’ve. It’d be better served with a spin-off. 

The show is iconic, and it remained so because it had a superb ending where I loved the resolutions for every mainline character. I think it’s better to end on a high of quality and acclaim than to come back for a couple extra bucks. Maybe they can do a film though as some other users have said if they really want it to keep going. But they didn’t really leave any loose ends big enough to make a movie out of, so it might just feel like grasping at more success

• ATRL Moderator

No. It ended right when it needed to. 

5 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Plus he won like 4 Emmys for the final season, and Eugene, Catherine and Annie won Emmys too because of the final season effect.

And yet, he wasn't able to turn all that acclaim into another successful project. Annie's new show is flopping too, and it was announced that the second season will be the last.

I don't know about that. But I was sad that it ended.

2 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

I don't know about that. But I was sad that it ended.

We deserved at least 2 more seasons. 2 years later, I am still mad.

3oz8xFF895luPTgkcU.gif

wait they chose to end it? I thought the network canceled it :rip: 

i see him all of the time on commericals tho 

NOT AT ALL. 

They chose to end it and gave it a really good full circle ending. I love that they didn’t drag it out. Some shows never end and it’s so annoying. You never get a resolution, it like just exists to exist.

the show had a continuous plotline and wasn’t just random episodes like most sitcoms. It’s a masterpiece

21 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

It was actually probably the perfect time to end it. They probably could have gotten another season or two out given it seemed to really gain traction in popularity around seasons 4/5, but the fact that it was written with an intended conclusion in mind solidified people enjoying the last season a lot. 

Plus he could revisit the universe if he wanted to, really, and probably have a good amount of excitement for it.

THIS

In September 2021, it was announced that Levy had signed an overall deal with Netflix to write and produce scripted content across film and TV.

I mean, he hasn't really done anything else but hosted SNL, which landed him an Emmy nomination, do a voice over role, and some commercials. I discovered the show during the pandemic as well and was able to binge watch it and then watch the finale live and I thought the finale was perfect, the show ended on the perfect note. Dan did what he needed to do, told the story he wanted to tell and it all in on his OWN terms. 

It was the right time to end it, going out at peak popularity and acclaim.

The show was boring to me. He should do gay p*rn

16 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

And yet, he wasn't able to turn all that acclaim into another successful project. Annie's new show is flopping too, and it was announced that the second season will be the last.

He signed an 8-figure Netflix deal last year which only started this month, lol. https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dan-levy-netflix-1235066058/

He previously had an deal at ABC which he signed before his Emmy wins. He asked them to pay him more after he won the Emmys, but they said no so he basically let the deal expire. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/schitts-creek-dan-levy-netflix-film-tv-deal-1235014909/

13 minutes ago, Stepfon said:

In September 2021, it was announced that Levy had signed an overall deal with Netflix to write and produce scripted content across film and TV.

I mean, he hasn't really done anything else but hosted SNL, which landed him an Emmy nomination, do a voice over role, and some commercials. I discovered the show during the pandemic as well and was able to binge watch it and then watch the finale live and I thought the finale was perfect, the show ended on the perfect note. Dan did what he needed to do, told the story he wanted to tell and it all in on his OWN terms. 

The Netflix deal only started this month, lol

In the deal, which is said to be eight figures under competitive circumstances, Levy will work on both movies and television (the TV part will begin in July of next year, after Levy’s deal with ABC Signature ends). 

10 minutes ago, Haus said:

The backfire :rip:

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

He signed an 8-figure Netflix deal last year which only started this month, lol. https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dan-levy-netflix-1235066058/

He previously had an deal at ABC which he signed before his Emmy wins. He asked them to pay him more after he won the Emmys, but they said no so he basically let the deal expire. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/schitts-creek-dan-levy-netflix-film-tv-deal-1235014909/

Will be curious to see how this plays out considering Netflix is about to go bankrupt.

4 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

Will be curious to see how this plays out considering Netflix is about to go bankrupt.

Good for him that he signed his deal before Netflix started hemorrhaging money so now they have to pay him. :gaycat2:

13 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Good for him that he signed his deal before Netflix started hemorrhaging money so now they have to pay him. :gaycat2:

not necessarily how it works lmao

Anyways, same beat as every one else here. It ended perfectly as it ended at its popularity and quality peak. We don't know, had it continued, if it would have fallen off the rails like a lot of other popular shows do.

1 hour ago, Blue Monday said:

Nah, he got out right as the show was peaking in terms of acclaim and fandom; it went out on a huge high and its legacy will be all the better for it. The story needed to end also. 

Bloop

Anyways he's got endorsement deals out the ass now, he's set for life, AND his career is still so nascent, look how this show came along and revived his dad and Catherine O'Hara's careers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.