Ne-Yo on R Kelly: “I still listen, one of the best”

rosesbloom

Despite sharing a photo in support of the #MuteRKelly campaign in 2019, which aimed to encourage a blanket ban on streaming & playing his music, Smith’s current perspective is less clear-cut.

“I have always been a person that can separate the artist from the art,” he says.

“I don’t give a damn about your personal life, I don’t give a damn about what you’ve done wrong, or what you’ve done rightif I like the song, & it’s attached to a memory that means something to me, it has nothing to do with [the artist] as a person any more. It’s what this song means to me.”

I’ve been in parties where someone will turn on an R Kelly record, & people will be like ‘Boo!’ That’s bulls***, because you know good & well that before this happened, you’d be rocking out to this song, just like everybody else. From time to time, I still listen to R Kelly music; you just can’t deny the quality. Anybody who tries to say R Kelly isn’t one of the best songwriters on the face of the planet because of what he did in his personal life, you’re looking at the wrong thing.”

Edited by rosesbloom

I think that's a good case of : It didn't affect me personally, so I don't really care. 

Ne-Yo has missed a good opportunity to zip it. 

2 minutes ago, jadeabove said:

I think that's a good case of : It didn't affect me personally, so I don't really care. 

The title is misleading:rip:

1 minute ago, Starshine said:

some things a better left unsaid

especially so soon after the trial - actually we're not even done yet if you include Chicago.

he can say what he wants, fine, especially as it seems he's not aiming for the charts on his own anymore but as a collaborator per usual (unless I missed his recent projects)

there's just the taste factor though - this is not the time or place, especially for the victims.

2 minutes ago, Armani? said:

The title is misleading:rip:

This too :coffee2: 

I mean, the title is hella misleading but still: he’s a pedophile. Like the most looked down upon people in all of society (and rightfully so). He made some good songs, but still: he’s a pedophile :rip:

11 minutes ago, jadeabove said:

:giraffe:

I’m sure a lot of people still listen to R-Kelly music, probably people on this forum too! At least he’s open about it.

still some things are better left unsaid tho when it comes to this awful man, hope he stays rotting xx

I hate when idiots (like him) brush abuse, rape , child molestation and various other profoundly egregious acts off to the side and refer to that aspect as his or hers "personal life". :rip:

When you're a rapist or pedophile, it is objectively not your "PERSONAL life".

yes we can.

personally i can’t bring myself to listen to love songs that are written about underage girls but everyone is different i guess :foxaylove3:

Edited by hallucinate

I was actually going to listen to his new album but he can forget it. I will not support any artist that support that man.

I believe I can fly is on my fav playlist, not removing it, Neyo Im with you.

I get what he’s saying for a lot of the other artists that have been cancelled, BUT R Kelly is the worst of the worst and a horrific human being/true danger to society, I think in extreme cases like this it is nearly impossible to simply separate the art from the artist. TBH imo if R Kelly’s music disappeared off the face of the earth from here on out and his impact erased in 2-3 generations, not the worst thing in the world. 

He chose the absolute worst example to try and make his point :rip: 

I mean, he'll be in prison probably for the rest of his life so does it even have an effect if you actually stream it ?

***** me too tf.

I mean a large portion of the GP feel the same way too. It's not best to say this out loud when you have an album to promote tho and especially when you have a big Black female fanbase.

Does he not understand the fact that a bunch of the man's songs are tied to the things he was doing that are disgusting? 

If his discography was I believe I can Flys and Step in the Name of Loves sure.

But you can't listen to you remind me ,my bodys callin,, Aaliyahs Age ain't Nothin but a Number, and Feelin on Yo Booty...without you know....

This is Tone deaf at best....

9 minutes ago, tshwark said:

I believe I can fly is on my fav playlist, not removing it, Neyo Im with you.

I'm guessing Feelin on Yo Booty and Down Low ( Nobody has to Know) is on your playlist too...

30 minutes ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

I mean, he'll be in prison probably for the rest of his life so does it even have an effect if you actually stream it ?

this. r kelly is a iece of **** but what's he gonna gain from me streaming ignition remix?

I mean, R Kelly has also produced A LOT of songs though.  Even some for your favs.  :coffee:

You mean to tell me y’all turn off those songs when they come up on a playlist or on the radio? Lol.  I surely don’t.  

I think it’s perfect fine to boycott if that’s what works for you, but this man is already in his own personal hell.  

Me not listening to his songs is a drop in the ocean to the karma he’s dealing with right now.  :michael: :coffee2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.