Lady Gaga is now the highest grossing female film composer.

Yelero

She makes it effortless. :WAP:

1 hour ago, alejandreaux said:

it’s cringey how excited y’all are to report that the website got the information wrong lmao :rip: 

as if it’s such a huge L that she’s still a $1B+ film composer who made it into the top 3 of all time with just 1 movie on her first try. you really got her! :dies:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Who said anything about excitement? The Twitter accounts and everyone jumped on the news without bothering to double check the information. What is being called out is that it is wrong, that is all. She will still challenge for #2 and that is an amazing achievement anyways. 

ok but lets not pretend like we don’t both speak in ATRL-isms lol. the first portion of this thread definitely made it seem like the error made from a generally-accepted-as credible film statistics website somehow turned Gaga and those accounts into an automatic laughingstock for posting about the feat, when the reality is actually not that far off from what was posted and is barely any less impressive, like you said. 

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Also the second highlighted portion is wrong as well, other films that grossed more than A Star Is Born and starred a musician are:

1.663b - The Lion King (2019) - Beyonce
1.024b - Zootopia - Shakira
865m - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Lenny Kravitz 
694m - The Hunger Games - Lenny Kravitz
634m - Sing - Tori Kelly
592m - Tangled - Mandy Moore 

528m - Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation - Selena Gomez
527m - Dunkirk - Harry Styles 
522m - Meet the Fockers - Barbara Streisand 
474m - Hotel Transylvania 2 - Selena Gomez

as for this part, you can check the time stamps and see that i edited my comment right after it was posted to remove that part because i remembered about the Lion King in particular. but around 2019 or so there were several articles (link) at the time about how ASIB had become the highest-grossing film starring a musician in the leading role (not adjusted for inflation), so that’s where my initial thought came from. which again, i immediately edited out after posting lol. still a hugely impressive feat in the film world for a pop star on her first major role, so the general point still stands regardless.

3 hours ago, mystery said:

Can you point me towards the multiple box office hits she starred in? I only seem to recall A Star Is Born. Unless you are considering that 

Machete Kills - 17m gross on a 20m budget 
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - 39m on a 65m budget 
House of Gucci - 156m on a 75m budget (barely breaking even, if that and failed awards bait) 

are box office "hits"...

:dies:

and this again? :rip: i didn’t realize we were still using the tactic of completely removing HOG of its situational context in an attempt to diminish its stats lmao. i thought it had been established here that HOG was the only drama film of the pandemic era that made anything close to what it made during a time when the GP was not pressed on going to theaters to see dramas. a $150m+ grossing film that doubled its budget while other movies of the genre struggled to garner even a 4th of that in the same time period does indeed make it a resounding success, made even more impressive by the fact that it was spearheaded by a pop-singer-turned-actress with only one other major film under her belt, as stated before. it seems like only someone biased against Gaga or the film would try to deny this still. 

to be fair though, i do agree with the first part of what you said. the wording of the tweets and the comparison in general would definitely have someone believe that she’s directly on par with the other composers listed who have have put together fully realized scores of multiple films themselves to earn their spot on the list. they definitely are in a league of their own, but it still is very impressive that Gaga is able to be listed among titans in the film world in any context after only having participated fully in the industry for about half a decade, which again, is the basis of the point I’m trying to make lol. 

She's unstoppable, oghs can seethe :ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.