The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

2 hours ago, Pleighboy said:

The way this movie flopped. The girls had so much smoke for the naysayers, including Mena Missoud. I bet they’re eating crow now. Spider-Man ITSV came and out sold. 700 M WW would have softened the blow, but a little over 500 M is just bad. The movie was never going to make 1B because it’s too female-centric, and the world hates women, including other women. However, The BO performance is puzzling considering its theme is summery.

Disney should have gone with Zendaya. The film would have at done a lot better in China and South Korea.  Robert M. and his partner were too caught up on singing when, with all due respect, white people never cared that about vocal talent. 

I wont say the total is heading just a little over $500M. But at least it paid off the production budget (which was around $250M) and will pay off a small  percentage of marketing which was around $140M.

You can check the dislike bar in the Youtube trailers with millions of views. There is nothing puzzling why the movie is only doing half of it's potential numbers. 

In comparsion The Flash cannot even pay the marketing, it would've lost less if it was released in the streaming services and TV alone.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

26 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

In comparsion The Flash cannot even pay the marketing, it would've lost less if it was released in the streaming services and TV alone.

The real flop :hoetenks:

7 hours ago, MrLovett said:

You have spent months actively rooting for this film to fail and being fully on board with the racist backlash to Halle's casting. Now suddenly "it should've been a billion dollar movie"? Stfu. :shakeno:

it should have been a billion dollar movie, i dont think disney invested 250m in filming, 100m + in marketing, for $500m in return, this hasnt even turned a profit yet lol

Hello. I can finally reply in this thread after being gone for 3 months. I have ALOT to say. 

First things first, i loved the movie. I was swept away by the cinematography and the beauty of the film. Halle and Jonahs chemistry was perfect and way better than the animated film.

I personally think daveed diggs as Sébastien carried the film. He had my theatre laughing like crazy. And awkwafina as scuttle even did great, the kids loved the scuttle butt song.

My fave sequence was under the sea and everything with halle exploring the land and the shops.

I think halle is the ONLY person who could play ariel (you all want to being up zendaya but she can not sing these songs as they are meant to be sung and the movie would still experience the racist backlash...so whats the point of bringing up zendaya..halle IS ariel and has a beautiful face and voice. I was sooooo shook when she was getting dressed and how gorgeous and unique she looked). Now..i do think we could of tinted her hair a bit more red in some sections, especially the initial teaser of this film because i believe it would help the cause a bit more plus halle has a gorgeous skin tone for red hair.

My only issue was the ending. I think the wedding or a celebration bigger with dancing and a bigger boat would of been more warranted. I felt like it just needed a grander ending. I give the film a 8.5/10. I really really enjoyed myself.

Edited by X~MoviePoP
  • Like 1

The 2nd thing i want to address is the constant hate and the box office.

Coming into this thread and calling it a flop and this and that when you know the film has experienced one of the worst hate campaigns ever, specifically pointed at its black lead and you know this....it isnt helpful and honestly it just seems ignorant and racist. Period.

This film had so much against it and it still found love and hope in some countries. 500 mill is great in my mind compared to the films that the internet trolls were trying to say will do better than the little mermaid (the flash, ect.). Yes i would of loved to see a 6 or a 7 infront, but we cannot have these types of conversations regarding the box office when we KNOW how specific countries were treating this film. And no, dont compare this to black panther or beauty or aladdin. None of those films had active hate 24/7. This movie had to push itself as hard as possible to defend its lead. A lead that was perfectly cast. 

I for one will never watch that aladdin film again because of its star Mena Massouds comments.  As a POC you CANNOT speak on a box office negatively when you KNOW that film is already being hit from all corners. It is disguisting and defeats the purpose of inclusion and he knows for a fact that what he said caused extra negativity on the film. Plus the fact that hollywood actors dont usually do that messyness and he chose to do it. Its weird and he seems bitter.

I have sat back and read this thread over the last 3 months and i can say i am so disappointed in some of you on ATRL who have called Halle ugly and that this film flopped because she isnt pretty or white enough. We understand that obviously this movie would do better over seas if she was white. We get it. No need to bring it up again. But Ariel isnt white in this film, the end. Move on. If you cant see past her skin color and see the embodiment that halle brought to ariel, then thats on you. But when it comes to the voice and the presence...no actress could of done it like Halle, none.

Stop coming into this thread with laughing emojis and r.i.p emojis, its so disrespectful to Halle and the team behind this film. 

I for one hope this film gathers a cult following and blows up on streaming. I would love a sequel one day. And i love this film. Stay positive. Unfortunately, some negativity won in the end but atleast its not the biggest box office flop of 2023 ;).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pleighboy said:

The way this movie flopped. The girls had so much smoke for the naysayers, including Mena Missoud. I bet they’re eating crow now. Spider-Man ITSV came and out sold. 700 M WW would have softened the blow, but a little over 500 M is just bad. The movie was never going to make 1B because it’s too female-centric, and the world hates women, including other women. However, The BO performance is puzzling considering its theme is summery.

Disney should have gone with Zendaya. The film would have at done a lot better in China and South Korea.  Robert M. and his partner were too caught up on singing when, with all due respect, white people never cared that about vocal talent. 

The way you choose to only defend naysayers and negative people but didnt choose to defend a film that was going through ignorant and racist backlash...says alot about you tbh.

And  no, disney should not have gone with Zendaya..she IS NOT the little mermaid. She can  not sing like she would need to and also, she would still experience alot of the racist backlash. Zendaya can not embody ariel.

Also everything you said before makes no sense...too female centric? IT'S A PRINCESS MOVIE. Have you even seen the film? Its not even a feminist film. Eric and the male characters get alot. 

I can't with some of you. Its tiring trying to reason with haters. 

Also, the US box office was pretty solid for this film. Its the over seas that cause issues.

Edited by X~MoviePoP
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aristotle said:

I wont say the total is heading just a little over $500M. But at least it paid off the production budget (which was around $250M) and will pay off a small  percentage of marketing which was around $140M.

You can check the dislike bar in the Youtube trailers with millions of views. There is nothing puzzling why the movie is only doing half of it's potential numbers. 

Let’s be honest, we all expected this movie to do better than 500 M WW. It doesn’t look good no matter how you spin it. Can you even argument racism when Spiderverse is doing well? I don’t even think Disney thought Spiderverse would be so successful or they would have moved TLM. 

This is Disney, not Warner Bros. All of Disney’s live action movies in recent years have made a billion. The fact that this one isn’t coming close is just sad. 

• Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, MrLovett said:

The eight biggest? Wow. What isn’t considered an achievement nowadays? Nelly said two is not a winner and three nobody remembers. 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

The eight biggest? Wow. What isn’t considered an achievement nowadays? Nelly said two is not a winner and three nobody remembers. 

It really doesn't take much to trigger people like you, does it? :deadbanana2:

2 hours ago, X~MoviePoP said:

The way you choose to only defend naysayers and negative people but didnt choose to defend a film that was going through ignorant and racist backlash...says alot about you tbh.

And  no, disney should not have gone with Zendaya..she IS NOT the little mermaid. She can  not sing like she would need to and also, she would still experience alot of the racist backlash. Zendaya can not embody ariel.

Also everything you said before makes no sense...too female centric? IT'S A PRINCESS MOVIE. Have you even seen the film? Its not even a feminist film. Eric and the male characters get alot. 

I can't with some of you. Its tiring trying to reason with haters. 

Also, the US box office was pretty solid for this film. Its the over seas that cause issues.

This is Disney’s first female led live action film. While we have Beauty and The Beast, that movie was always more popular than TLM and features a prominent male character in The Beast. Yes, I blame the lack of BO success on it being a female-centered property and racism.  Although Eric was given more to do, audiences don’t care because they’re not willing to see the movie. 

The US BO is cute but it should be doing better for a summer movie. Summer started 5 days ago and Spiderverse and Elemental are dominating the BO. 

Edited by Pleighboy
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

It really doesn't take much to trigger people like you, does it? :deadbanana2:

You’re the one that’s trigged. I’m speaking fact. The number 8 biggest live action opening is not an achievement, sorry. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Pleighboy said:

You’re the one that’s trigged. I’m speaking fact. The number 8 biggest live action opening is not an achievement, sorry. 

I posted a tweet that highlighted where the film currently lies amongst the Disney live action adaptations, whilst your froth at the mouth with anger about it. Whether you consider it an achievement or not is utterly irrelevant. :skull: Go seethe somewhere else and stop embarrassing yourself. :toofunny3:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I posted a tweet that highlighted where the film currently lies amongst the Disney live action adaptations, whilst your froth at the mouth with anger about it. Whether you consider it an achievement or not is utterly irrelevant. :skull: Go seethe somewhere else and stop embarrassing yourself. :toofunny3:

Boy, the only one that is angry is you. I saw you hoping and wishing I would get banned (if I ever do trust, I won’t care) You def. were one of the ones in this thread saying the movie would be super successful and talking down to people who said otherwise for obvious reasons. A fact can never be considered being angry or triggered. I supported the film and bought dolls for my nieces but the truth is the truth. 

Edited by Pleighboy
  • Thumbs Down 3

Just now, Pleighboy said:

Boy, the only one that is angry is you. I saw you hoping and wishing I would get banned (if I ever do trust, I won’t care) You def. were one of the ones in this thread saying the movie would be super successful and talking down to people who said otherwise for obvious reasons. A fact can never be considered a being angry or triggered. I supported the film and bought dolls for my nieces but the truth is the truth. 

Get banned? :deadbanana2: I have literally no idea who you are... Why are you so damn triggered about a tweet saying the film surpassed Maleficent ffs? :lmao: This is so embarrassing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

This is Disney’s first female led live action film. While we have Beauty and The Beast, that movie was always more popular than TLM and features a prominent male character in The Beast. Yes, I blame the lack of BO success on it being a female-centered property and racism.  Although Eric was given more to do, audiences don’t care because they’re not willing to see the movie. 

The US BO is cute but it should be doing better for a summer movie. Summer started 5 days ago and Spiderverse and Elemental are dominating the BO. 

Elemental??? Lmao. No. That movie is not dominating anything. That movie has a 200 million budget and is barley going to make any of that back. 

This movie like i said had to deal with ALOT more this summer than those other movies youve listed. Like i said above, this movie is fighting a uphill battle and will be remembered for how good it is in the long run. Its a really good movie. Take it or leave it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Get banned? :deadbanana2: I have literally no idea who you are... Why are you so damn triggered about a tweet saying the film surpassed Maleficent ffs? :lmao: This is so embarrassing.

ETA the receipts:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sure Jan. Anyway, back on topic.

Let’s see how the movie finishes out, but I do not have high hopes. I somewhat blame Disney because the marketing campaign wasn’t that great and was rushed. It’s pretty much nonexistent now. 

Edited by Pleighboy
  • Thumbs Down 1

23 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

Let’s be honest, we all expected this movie to do better than 500 M WW. It doesn’t look good no matter how you spin it. Can you even argument racism when Spiderverse is doing well? I don’t even think Disney thought Spiderverse would be so successful or they would have moved TLM. 

This is Disney, not Warner Bros. All of Disney’s live action movies in recent years have made a billion. The fact that this one isn’t coming close is just sad. 

Yes you can argue racism are you kidding me. Spiderverse doesnt compare to this films hate campaign lets be very real. Especially for a black woman led film. 

Like i said in my post above. You cant speak on this films box office without bringing up EVERYTHING it had to go through.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

I expected $600M-650M (long before the presales in China even started) or even less than that TBH but I was being cautious so I used a higher figure instead of $550M. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, X~MoviePoP said:

Elemental??? Lmao. No. That movie is not dominating anything. That movie has a 200 million budget and is barley going to make any of that back. 

This movie like i said had to deal with ALOT more this summer than those other movies youve listed. Like i said above, this movie is fighting an uphill battle and will be remembered for how good it is in the long run. Its a really good movie. Take it or leave it.

It’s not a success by any means, but it had a strong hold this weekend. It could have a Puss and Boots level of success and longevity. TLM should be in its place. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Yes you can argue racism are you kidding me. Spiderverse doesnt compare to this films hate campaign lets be very real. Especially for a black woman led film. 

Like i said in my post above. You cant speak on this films box office without bringing up EVERYTHING it had to go through.

Then argue that hate against black women is a factor. You can’t say it’s racism if Spiderverse is doing well. I did bring up racism, but I am still shocked by the global BO numbers. 

3 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

Then argue that hate against black women is a factor. You can’t say it’s racism if Spiderverse is doing well. I did bring up racism, but I am still shocked by the global BO numbers. 

Anything being spewed as hate or ignorance against a BLACK WOMAN led film is racism, period.

You need to go look back at the tweets, YouTube comments, videos, ect. From around the world that told halle to k** herself just because she was chosen to play Ariel.

Spiderverse never had any of the instant backlash and hate as this film and this film still is doing its best. 

This film deserves ALOT more credit and i commend disney and rob marshall for not backing down

50 minutes ago, Pleighboy said:

ETA the receipts:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sure Jan. Anyway, back on topic.

Let’s see how the movie finishes out, but I do not have high hopes. I somewhat blame Disney because the marketing campaign wasn’t that great and was rushed. It’s pretty much nonexistent now. 

You called Halle too ghetto when you, yourself, are probably black. :rip:

Ghetto as word has subtle racist connotation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.