The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

Aristotle; your post is interesting but you are mixing up revenue and profit which is confusing are you are calling bananas; Apple. 

320M Domestic gross -> 176M profit (55% of the overall score)

280M International gross -> 112M profit (40% of the overall score)

4M China gross -> 1M profit (25% of the overall score)

This is all revenue not profit (Thus why in your example of BP, its appears in Theatrical revenue vs total gross (for BP: TG: BO WW 859M$, Theatrical revenue: 425M$). The difference represents the share of the distributors, and cinemas. 

It's impossible to talk about profit before subtracting all expenses, and in your graph it is mentioned as Studio net. It's the net profit the studio will receive at the end when everything is said and done. 

So for TLM, you theatrical revenue is 289M (vs 425 for BP). If you add 250M for Television, streaming, and DVD/VHS ( vs BP 325M) the total revenue is now 539M.

Removing the costs and expenses:

140M Marketing

250M Budget 

50M Video

TOTAL=440 

So your profit (Studio net) will be 99M$. 

• Like 2

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

3 hours ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

Aristotle; your post is interesting but you are mixing up revenue and profit which is confusing are you are calling bananas; Apple. 

320M Domestic gross -> 176M profit (55% of the overall score)

280M International gross -> 112M profit (40% of the overall score)

4M China gross -> 1M profit (25% of the overall score)

This is all revenue not profit (Thus why in your example of BP, its appears in Theatrical revenue vs total gross (for BP: TG: BO WW 859M$, Theatrical revenue: 425M$). The difference represents the share of the distributors, and cinemas. 

It's impossible to talk about profit before subtracting all expenses, and in your graph it is mentioned as Studio net. It's the net profit the studio will receive at the end when everything is said and done. 

So for TLM, you theatrical revenue is 289M (vs 425 for BP). If you add 250M for Television, streaming, and DVD/VHS ( vs BP 325M) the total revenue is now 539M.

Removing the costs and expenses:

140M Marketing

250M Budget 

50M Video

TOTAL=440 

So your profit (Studio net) will be 99M$. 

Yes you're right. I meant revenue instead of profit. I mixed them up, sorry. And you're forgetting interest costs too (which will be probably around 20-25M).

Last, the numbers I gave, IMO, are the higher bound of the total revenue which in reality could end up being lower than that.

--

Another interesting fact:

American movie's revenue outside of Box Office is more Domestic-centric. For example, Cinderella with a 200M domestic gross (37% of the total gross) made more money in Northern America with TV and DVD/VHS sales than internationally:

https://deadline.com/2016/03/cinderella-movie-profit-2015-box-office-disney-1201724740/

So this is an advantage for TLM given that it is stronger locally.

--

And now that I think about it; the breakeven point that was given for Maleficent 2 which was around $475M probably included ancillary figures, especially considering it underperformed in Northern America where the revenue share was the highest (55%). A $185M budget and a probably $100M marketing would need  around $600M to breakeven directly from box office alone. 

Edited by Aristotle

still going strong in France

just entered overall top 10 movies of the year with 1,356,845 tickets sold

Should end up at #8 in the next weeks. It’s still doing 177k entries per week 

11 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Yes you're right. I meant revenue instead of profit. I mixed them up, sorry. And you're forgetting interest costs too (which will be probably around 20-25M).

Last, the numbers I gave, IMO, are the higher bound of the total revenue which in reality could end up being lower than that.

--

Another interesting fact:

American movie's revenue outside of Box Office is more Domestic-centric. For example, Cinderella with a 200M domestic gross (37% of the total gross) made more money in Northern America with TV and DVD/VHS sales than internationally:

https://deadline.com/2016/03/cinderella-movie-profit-2015-box-office-disney-1201724740/

So this is an advantage for TLM given that it is stronger locally.

--

And now that I think about it; the breakeven point that was given for Maleficent 2 which was around $475M probably included ancillary figures, especially considering it underperformed in Northern America where the revenue share was the highest (55%). A $185M budget and a probably $100M marketing would need  around $600M to breakeven directly from box office alone. 

I finally understood how to quote ahah 

You are right for the interests I forgot to add them. So basically it will make even less money. 

Very interesting point you are highlighting here tho. Maybe the movie could become a huge hit in the US when it comes to ancillaries. 

I would be super interested to know how much the first spider verse brought with home entertainment, dvd and ancillaries. I will try to check and share if I find. 

Anyways thanks a lot for sharing all this info 

Just -19% on Wednesday for $1.84M. -39% from last week. Stabilizing well after that rather ugly 4th weekend. No big openers this coming weekend, so could be set for a very healthy hold. 

#1 in Japan heading into weekend 3. $12M crossed on Thursday. 

Holding strong at #3 in Spain on its 4th weekend! Almost 9.5M euros and 1.5M espectators

Stellar hold in Japan this weekend. 3rd weekend at #1 incoming. Just -15% from last Saturday! 

UK still going strong with just a 6% dip from last Saturday as well. 

Edited by BNF91

Loving the longevity. I might watch it again during Barbie weekend if it still on

spacer.png

:clap3:

• Like 2

$500M total after an $18M global weekend. Still got some life in it. Very nice holds everywhere. 

Best hold of all movies this weekend domestically. (-22%)

Edited by BNF91
  • Like 1

nice, should cross $600M when all said and done

• Like 1

I've seen this movie a couple times and it's only now that I realize, that Disney cut Le Poisson :rip:

@BNF91 the gap for TLM and TJB is around $4M-$5M so basically nearly the same as last week. However in the first 3 day run the gap was only $800K and in the last 2 weekends it overperformed TJB. So why is that? Was Japan run less weekend-centric in 2016 than it is know?

It seems TLM is doing more in the weekend days and doing less outside of them compared to TJB. The prediction however, is now better, at $20M-25M total, not $15M-20M as previously thought. 

$500m is horrendous lol

this should have been a billion dollar movie, like Aladdin & The Lion King. 

Even Cinderella 2015 did more 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

On 6/20/2023 at 6:39 AM, Tropical said:

Absolutely loved this film, was amazing to watch in the cinema. Halle Bailey was an in incredible Ariel. Can't wait to see her in The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea. Who will play Melody? :eli:

Rumi Carter :alexz2:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XAMJ said:

$500m is horrendous lol

Despite facing abnormal racist backlash :giraffe:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, XAMJ said:

$500m is horrendous lol

You have spent months actively rooting for this film to fail and being fully on board with the racist backlash to Halle's casting. Now suddenly "it should've been a billion dollar movie"? Stfu. :shakeno:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The way this movie flopped. The girls had so much smoke for the naysayers, including Mena Missoud. I bet they’re eating crow now. Spider-Man ITSV came and out sold. 700 M WW would have softened the blow, but a little over 500 M is just bad. The movie was never going to make 1B because it’s too female-centric, and the world hates women, including other women. However, The BO performance is puzzling considering its theme is summery.

Disney should have gone with Zendaya. The film would have at done a lot better in China and South Korea.  Robert M. and his partner were too caught up on singing when, with all due respect, white people never cared that about vocal talent. 

Edited by Pleighboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.