The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

3 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

:deadbanana2:

?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

15 hours ago, UnfairTop said:

Can we call this a flop yet? Flipping your fins didn't get this film to far, indeed.

fineszn-fineeszn.gif

Early domestic Tuesday number of $4M. I think that will go up a bit. Still, down just 33% from last week. 

First early projections from Box Office Pro for next weekend sees a wonderful $18M. That would be a drop of just 21% from the 3rd wknd and have TLM at $261M domestic by Monday. :clap3:

I think it will come in a bit lower than that ($15-16M) but still very good. 

3 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

Early domestic Tuesday number of $4M. I think that will go up a bit. Still, down just 33% from last week. 

First early projections from Box Office Pro for next weekend sees a wonderful $18M. That would be a drop of just 21% from the 3rd wknd and have TLM at $261M domestic by Monday. :clap3:

I think it will come in a bit lower than that ($15-16M) but still very good. 

Ooopp

$4.1M on Tuesday (-32.8%)

$236.4M total

• Like 1

It's disheartening to know that the US is the least racist country.

I don't know. I think Spiderverse just showed that race might not be the issue here. Spiderman opened great in China and in the world in general and the lead is afrolatino. 

Also TLM has legs in Japan and Philippines so this rhetoric of Asians countries are racist seems really simplistic.

The animated movie might not have resonated so much in the rest of the world vs the US as everybody expected (the BO for the first run in the rest of the world were really low). Maybe it's not such a great movie? 

6 minutes ago, Monsieurgedeon said:

I don't know. I think Spiderverse just showed that race might not be the issue here. Spiderman opened great in China and in the world in general and the lead is afrolatino. 

Also TLM has legs in Japan and Philippines so this rhetoric of Asians countries are racist seems really simplistic.

The animated movie might not have resonated so much in the rest of the world vs the US as everybody expected (the BO for the first run in the rest of the world were really low). Maybe it's not such a great movie? 

Race absolutely has played a part here…

Ariel being played by a black actress sent shockwaves across the internet… and it’s also partly to do with the fact it’s a Princess movie… audiences are going to be harsher with things like appearance and beauty standards (particularly European territories).

I suspect we’ll see less race-swapping post TLM (which I, like many others have mixed feelings about). 

But best believe - it’s a good movie and those that have seen it have been extremely positive.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:11 PM, UnfairTop said:

Can we call this a flop yet? Flipping your fins didn't get this film to far, indeed.

Oh yes, we most definitely can!!!

4 hours ago, Peroxide said:

Race absolutely has played a part here…

Ariel being played by a black actress sent shockwaves across the internet… and it’s also partly to do with the fact it’s a Princess movie… audiences are going to be harsher with things like appearance and beauty standards (particularly European territories).

I suspect we’ll see less race-swapping post TLM (which I, like many others have mixed feelings about). 

But best believe - it’s a good movie and those that have seen it have been extremely positive.

Actually darling, that is incorrect.

A poll conducted in July 2019, from Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult .... found a majority in support of remakes that are "as close to their original as possible, including sticking to the race and ethnicity of each character." 

(from Wiki^)

Marketing research matters. It's what drives every major decision in any service, product or film (such as this one).

Edited by Xtina23
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

This was cute. Halle and Melissa were the standouts. One of the stronger live action Disney remakes but still missing that cartoon magic. Also about 20 mins too long. 

7/10 

Moving quite well in first week in Japan. Around $7.3M in 6 days, even with exchange rate faltering. 

6 hours ago, Xtina23 said:

Oh yes, we most definitely can!!!

Actually darling, that is incorrect.

A poll conducted in July 2019, from Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult .... found a majority in support of remakes that are "as close to their original as possible, including sticking to the race and ethnicity of each character." 

(from Wiki^)

Marketing research matters. It's what drives every major decision in any service, product or film (such as this one).

How was I incorrect? I said, I expect us to see LESS race-swapping post TLM...

3 hours ago, BNF91 said:

Moving quite well in first week in Japan. Around $7.3M in 6 days, even with exchange rate faltering. 

Nice for miss Japan

how well do we think it will do?

4 hours ago, BNF91 said:

:party:

1 hour ago, chosensparkles said:

Nice for miss Japan

My prediction for sub $20M is even stronger than before.

The Jungle Book opening - $5,993,795

Before the second weekend total gross -   $11,589,614

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3474491137/weekend/

Overall total gross - $23M

The Lion King opened with $6.9M and was at $26M  before or with the second Friday

TLM is imitating the run of The Jungle Book. This is still OK compared to China.

Dumbo, in Japan, in comparison, only did $9M. 

4 hours ago, chosensparkles said:

Nice for miss Japan

Waiting for 2nd weekend hold to see. Jungle Book plummeted 65% on its 2nd weekend during the Rio Summer Olympics as it was a late August release and played into the fall. This is the middle of summer with no Olympics to disrupt the box office. 

Edited by BNF91

I will follow your suggestion and watch it when it's available in digital. 

I also agree with you regarding your mixed feelings. Complicated situation but Disney will definitely earns money anyway with the merch, cinema release, digital and streaming. 

Early Wed domestic: $3M, a soft -30% from last week Wed. Beautiful stability, Aladdin was -37% on the same day. Maybe that $18M projection could happen this weekend. 

• Like 2

#TheLittleMermaid keeps enchanting audiences with her singing at US #BoxOffice, grossing 3M on 3rd WED!

SHE GOT LEGS, just -29.5% drop from last WED (vs #Aladdin 3.2M, -36.9%) for a 239.4M US cume.

Will beat #Maleficent’s 241.4M US run TONIGHT!

Eyeing a 310M-350M US run!

:jonnycat:

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/status/1669440144959520768?t=UMGCTRDCzr77zsMHWhY8xA&s=19

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 5:04 AM, Monsieurgedeon said:

of course, MILES MORALES is biracial in the comic. they basically just followed the beloved comic character's race or somthn

ARIEL on the other hand, chile.. they couldve just tell another story of a black mermaid instead of race-swapping a beloved character

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 7

How could the GP relate to Miles Morales tho if they are as racist as we say? 

Regarding the Little mermaid; I don't agree with you as she is just a mermaid and her skin color has nothing to do with the story so she could basically be played by anyone.

I understand that in implies a limitation in terms of business reach and it is unfortunately a reality, and it is for obviously race motivated. I suppose white audience doesn't like to be extorted of one of their white character. 

Anyways; it is what it is but it doesn't mean it's good or that we should try to swipe the topic with "just create more original stories". At the end it is just a story about a mermaid, and not a great one to start with. 

When you have like 5 different versions of Spiderman, it's easier to accept another one. 

The comparison makes no sense to me. There is one Ariel and the one we've known since forever is the white mermaid with red hair. It's obvious people feel more apprehensive about Halle's Ariel. 

Still, this whole outrage and controversy is so childish. 

There was a very popular anime character that was whitewashed in a Hollywood movie. It bombed really hardcore in Japan and Korea. They are very strict on the originality of the classics, especially their own. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.