The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

Finally saw it. Better than I expected! I would give it a solid B. The original gets an A. 

Spoiler

Halle is good as Ariel. She has the lungs and the heart. The Eric actor is ok. Javier is bad as Triton - he seems bored and doesnt capture the conflict of a father who wants to protect his daughter while feeling guilty about how strict he has to be. Melissa is meh as Ursula - she doesn't have the vamp, the camp, and can't shed her sweet funny best friend persona. The sidekicks are lifeless and creepy - it's like the seafood section in your grocery store started singing - and their dead eyes never change.

Lin Manuel Miranda is a hack and all his new songs are bad. 

Big mistake: not having Sebastian present for Part of Your World. It's so important that he sees her longing and passion so that you understand why he gets on her side and helps her. Also why is Ariel singing along and having a ball during Under the Sea? In the original she understandably leaves halfway through. It's like they didn't think things through. 

The new scenes didn't add much, they just padded the runtime, but I did like the addition of the little mermaid statue and the way Eric learns Ariel's name. 

Still, I had a good time. Overall not bad! 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

4 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

It’s crazy. For music, it’s the opposite. Americans are more racist (see Morgan Wallen only smashing in America. But for film, America seems to be the only saving grace for TLM

I don’t think all Morgan Wallen’s listeners are racists or know about his past racist behavior tbh  :rip:

28 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

Finally saw it. Better than I expected! I would give it a solid B. The original gets an A. 

Reveal hidden contents

Halle is good as Ariel. She has the lungs and the heart. The Eric actor is ok. Javier is bad as Triton - he seems bored and doesnt capture the conflict of a father who wants to protect his daughter while feeling guilty about how strict he has to be. Melissa is meh as Ursula - she doesn't have the vamp, the camp, and can't shed her sweet funny best friend persona. The sidekicks are lifeless and creepy - it's like the seafood section in your grocery store started singing - and their dead eyes never change.

Lin Manuel Miranda is a hack and all his new songs are bad. 

Big mistake: not having Sebastian present for Part of Your World. It's so important that he sees her longing and passion so that you understand why he gets on her side and helps her. Also why is Ariel singing along and having a ball during Under the Sea? In the original she understandably leaves halfway through. It's like they didn't think things through. 

The new scenes didn't add much, they just padded the runtime, but I did like the addition of the little mermaid statue and the way Eric learns Ariel's name. 

Still, I had a good time. Overall not bad! 

Lets Celebrate GIFs | Tenor

Just enjoy the movie, don't worry about numbers. Many great movies flopped even harder. 

TITLE_ART_3_4?language=eng&territory=US&

Dr. Alexander
2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

I don’t think all Morgan Wallen’s listeners are racists or know about his past racist behavior tbh  :rip:

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. The day the video was released, they all stood with him and promised to boost his sales and streaming. You can still see the lasting aftermath today…

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. The day the video was released, they all stood with him and promised to boost his sales and streaming. You can still see the lasting aftermath today…

Like yeah I’m sure some of his listeners are racist, but absolutely not the majority of them. He’s the most popular male artist in the US, he just has full GP support.

Morgan Wallen got caught saying the n-word. Alright, so did Camila Cabello, Justin Bieber, Madonna, Eminem and many other celebs. And none of them remained cancelled, people just moved on and forgot about it.

No one from the GP cares at this point about this 2-year-old scandal and I’m pretty sure most have forgotten about it. Only this forum and the echo chamber that it’s stan twitter still cares.

• Thumbs Down 4

Dr. Alexander
37 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Like yeah I’m sure some of his listeners are racist, but absolutely not the majority of them. He’s the most popular male artist in the US, he just has full GP support.

Morgan Wallen got caught saying the n-word. Alright, so did Camila Cabello, Justin Bieber, Madonna, Eminem and many other celebs. And none of them remained cancelled, people just moved on and forgot about it.

No one from the GP cares at this point about this 2-year-old scandal and I’m pretty sure most have forgotten about it. Only this forum and the echo chamber that it’s stan twitter still cares.

No. You’re missing it.

When the video was released, people stood by him in droves instead of going against him, solely because he said racial slurs. They supported him even more because of it. Why do you all act as if racism isn’t prominent still? Newsflash, it is. 

Read instead of just saying anything:

Wallen’s sales increased 1,220 percent on Wednesday compared to Tuesday, while his song sales were up 327 percent, according to Alpha Data, the data analytics provider that powers the Rolling Stone Charts. And despite being removed from playlists like Today’s Country on Apple Music and Spotify’s Hot Country Songs, his streams did not dip on Wednesday at all. (Wallen’s music remains on theservices since his label, Big Loud, has not removed any material.) 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/morgan-wallen-sales-racial-slur-1124242/

Edited by Dr. Alexander

It's marketing budget is $300m - $450m

Why the hell yall talmbout Morgan wallen dumbass in here? I came to talk about niece Halle and Melissa MOTHERING and y’all doing this? :bibliahh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

#1 in France on Sunday again

Spoiler

Oh well what a mess Rob Marshall did here, I blame it on him and that this was filmed in the COVID era because it shows with the lifeless small settlement on the island and the biggest musical number being just like 20 people on a rough market.

The water scenes look muddy and dark, and Disney is possible of doing more having seen what Avatar achieved, even Wakanda did better and Aquaman too.

The film is too long and nothing interesting happens in the first half besides Ursula cursing Ariel. 

The color palette is just gray and grim and the photography director did a bad job with Halle and Eric which had a lot of shadows and bad angles.

Overall this could have been done way better, even B&tB was better and that’s a low bar, and Aladdin is a masterpiece in this case.

Halle did good with what she had (which was not a lot) the script was very basic and her supporting cast kinda meh.

Honestly it wasn’t that good and there’s at least 5 better live action films than this one.

1 hour ago, Delirious said:

Surely not? That would mean a break even point of 800-950m? Which is never going to happen

15 minutes ago, Leppie said:

Surely not? That would mean a break even point of 800-950m? Which is never going to happen

It's an estimate. They said TLM it was the biggest they ever spent on marketing. Dumbo had a combined production and advertisement budget of $300 million.

So I think the breakeven point is $500m - $650m

8 minutes ago, Delirious said:

It's an estimate. They said TLM it was the biggest they ever spent on marketing. Dumbo had a combined production and advertisement budget of $300 million.

So I think the breakeven point is $500m - $650m

The budget is reported to be $250m, my understanding is that half of a movies gross goes to the cinemas themselves, so that would put the break even figure at 500m for the production alone.. let alone the advertising costs :dancehall3:

Will it reach 600mil at this point? :doc:

This is sad.. I wonder what is will do to Snow White when it will come out. The messy reactions happened there too but not on this scale 

1 hour ago, Leppie said:

The budget is reported to be $250m, my understanding is that half of a movies gross goes to the cinemas themselves, so that would put the break even figure at 500m for the production alone.. let alone the advertising costs 

Thr promotion costs must be huge.. They're heavily promoting it everywhere.. 

I think they need like 600m to make somewhat of a profit 

Edited by Johnny Jacobs

4 hours ago, yonsé said:

Why the hell yall talmbout Morgan wallen dumbass in here? I came to talk about niece Halle and Melissa MOTHERING and y’all doing this? :bibliahh:

:deadbanana4:

Spoiler

i wish it was Vanessa who married with prince and ruin the ariel’s existence forever. i hate when fake good people and fake kindness wins all the time. 

4 hours ago, Leppie said:

The budget is reported to be $250m, my understanding is that half of a movies gross goes to the cinemas themselves, so that would put the break even figure at 500m for the production alone.. let alone the advertising costs :dancehall3:

6 hours ago, Delirious said:

I think you meant the total costs. :rip:

2 hours ago, industry baby said:
  Hide contents

i wish it was Vanessa who married with prince and ruin the ariel’s existence forever. i hate when fake good people and fake kindness wins all the time. 

Read the real original story then. You will love this ending. It's bad

What Aladdin (2019) had that this movie doesn't have to even come close to a billion was it's overperformance in the asian market. Aladdin had legs in the US, which nobody saw coming but nobody predicted the support from Asia.

Aladdin was actually the biggest live action in Japan for example, more than "Beauty and the Beast", also doubled the earnings of "The Lion King". 

It's clear that racism is a big factor for this movie not working in Asian countries but it's not the only factor. The OST is also not making any noise. The Aladdin OST went viral in Japan and South Korea, with tons of idols making cover of songs from the movie.

4:40 shows exactly what the problem with the movie is and why the animated shits all over it. 

Got so teary eyed when Halle sang Part of Your World. She’s such a star. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.