Jill Biden sorry for likening Latinos to tacos

HausOfPunk

US First Lady Jill Biden has apologised for likening Hispanic people to "tacos" in a botched compliment.

_125868359_gettyimages-1237876296.jpg

Mrs Biden was addressing Latinos in Texas on Monday when she referenced the traditional Mexican snack in her speech.

The National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) responded: "We are not tacos".

On Tuesday, her press secretary said Mrs Biden was sorry and admires the Hispanic community.

Her comment comes as President Joe Biden's popularity with Hispanic voters has been falling. 

Mrs Biden was addressing a conference in San Antonio on the Hispanic "Quest for Equity" when she said: "The diversity of this community, as distinct as the bodegas of the Bronx, as beautiful as the blossoms of Miami, and as unique as the breakfast tacos here in San Antonio, is your strength".

She also mispronounced the word "bodegas" - a term for convenience stores borrowed from Spanish - as "bogedas".

The NAHJ called on Mrs Biden "to take time to better understand" Latinos.

The industry group added: "Our heritage as Latinos is shaped by various diasporas, cultures & food traditions. Do not reduce us to stereotypes."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62130595

Que se meta sus disculpas por el culo, rata.

Vieja blanca estúpida.

the way white people think every Latino south of Texas is Mexican. 

don’t get me wrong I LOOOOOVE Mexico and they have such beautiful country and culture but there’s more to see from the other Latino countries.

I bet these ignorant people also think us mexican people only ride burros and eat tacos while wearing sombreros :toofunny3:

Messy as her statement was, this is a pretty bad faith interpretation of what she was saying, lbr. The tacos part is no more or less offensive than the other two given that she’s noting different features of American culture that were contributed by Latinos.

Most Latinos in the US come from Mexico but I'm sure there are south americans too... this is so messy. Comparing people with food...:deadbanana4:

WBK tacos are the most well known Latino dish though, see when you have the best Latin American cuisine :cm:

:deadbanana2:

but where are the right wing “I can take a joke” Latinos now? 

23 minutes ago, Domination said:

Messy as her statement was, this is a pretty bad faith interpretation of what she was saying, lbr. The tacos part is no more or less offensive than the other two given that she’s noting different features of American culture that were contributed by Latinos.

Oh please. That racist deserves the backlash for making this stereotypical comparison. How fitting that she does this while her even more racist husband is cratering in the polls with the same group. :clownny:

LMAO i laugh cause the only ones crying are republicans, and they say latinx can take a joke, allegedly  :alexz2:

but she DID NOT compare us to tacos, jesus people love to make something out of nothing

Se me antojaron unos tacos :-*

Condescending and cringe worthy in one swoop. I'm surprised she didn't say they make good gardeners :rip:

1 hour ago, HausOfPunk said:

The National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) responded: "We are not tacos".

Them having to confirm they’re not is kinda sending me.

nicki_amas.gif

All the Hispanic republicans showing fake outrage when the Stan a man that blatantly hated them.

As a Hispanic what she said wasn’t even that bad but she shouldn’t have said that. It was stupid anyway 

this administration just needs to step down in 2024 :skull: please god

She didn’t compare Latinos to tacos if you actually read what she said. I have NO ISSUE dragging a politician if they’re problematic but this is faux outrage, especially considering Trumps Cinco de Mayo posts. 

I wouldn't use a food analogy when talking about an ethic group or race because it's dumb comparison in a serious conversation, but why exactly is this such a big deal? I've seen folks compare White people to crackers or mayonnaise on plenty of occasions, yet nobody gets offended by that. It's just food ffs. :toofunny3:

Pop culture

Have we all lost the ability to comprehend a sentence? :rip:

Did she probably just mean it as an example of (largely Mexico) Latino-American culture in the area?

Sure.

Will I always approach these topics with "how would liberals react if Bernie or AOC did this?" 

Yup.

So there's nothing I can do for my good sister Jill or her burnt bridges now.

nicki_amas.gif

I'm sorry but :bibliahh:

Who wrote her speech? 

Racist trash like her husband

umPd96X.jpg

1 hour ago, Somnambulist said:

She didn’t compare Latinos to tacos if you actually read what she said. I have NO ISSUE dragging a politician if they’re problematic but this is faux outrage, especially considering Trumps Cinco de Mayo posts. 

Exactly. 

I honestly don't know where they find these speechwriters. It's like the one that thought it would be a good idea to start insulting Trump supporters during the campaign and call them deplorables.

7 minutes ago, midnightdawn said:

I honestly don't know where they find these speechwriters. It's like the one that thought it would be a good idea to start insulting Trump supporters during the campaign and call them deplorables.

That wasn’t a lie ? and to be fair she said 50% of them. So she was actually being nice 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.