Predominantly white crowd sings the N-word at Roddy Ricch concert; Twitter dragging

State of Grace.

53 minutes ago, frenchyisback said:

That’s racist to say.

That means that black people are always inferior & victims which is stupid.

Do we think Obama is not in a position of power against a 19yo white intern in the White House or in his campaign?

The gymnastic the left will go to with their crazy theories. ?? 

Racism is racism !

girl structural, institutional and systemic racism doesn’t work that way. just because one PoC had/has power doesn’t mean the structural constructs of racism goes away. As a collective PoC don’t hold power… I hate that this conversation is being had on ATRL, so many people need to educate themselves on these sort of things.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frenchyisback

• Armani?

• Apolonio ₃₄

• Hurem

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, frenchyisback said:

Who’s doing the shooting? 

I live in DC and was stabbed by another black man.

It’s not white fault we’re shooting each other.

Not you claiming your Blackness while simultaneously using White Supremacist talking points:rip:

Your worldview literally has no solutions :rip:

9 minutes ago, frenchyisback said:

If you’re white and work in city politics; is is much much much harder for you to get promoted or commissioned to executive level positions in chocolate city. 

That... is not what discrimination or systemic racism means :rip:

2 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Not you claiming your Blackness while simultaneously using White Supremacist talking points:rip:

They're an absolute mess sis, their posts in the Civics section are almost like The Onion parodies :toofunny2:

6 minutes ago, Vertigo Stick said:

:skull: :deadbanana2: 

Racism on an intrapersonal level ≠ structural racism. Whiteness legitimizes structural racism. Just because you see Black individuals in positions of authority doesn't mean that Black people are in an equal position of power as a race. The dominating culture, the one that is being enforced, is white supremacy and it has a real material effect on Black people all over the world. 

4 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

girl structural, institutional and systemic racism doesn’t work that way. just because one PoC had/has power doesn’t mean the structural constructs of racism goes away. As a collective PoC don’t hold power… I hate that this conversation is being had on ATRL, so many people need to educate themselves on these sort of things.

:cm:

Don't put words on songs if you don't want anybody to sing it 

7 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

Ever since I literally received a letter of my great great great grandmother being given away during slavery as a birthday gift, I stopped saying the N-word. It’s different when the hardships of the word is right in front your face in a letter from such a horrendous time.

White people should not be saying it at all, especially with how they are. But I think even the Black community should leave it alone too. It’s a horrible word.

Basically 

no one should be using this word

It’s that simple 

What exactly was the point of this thread? 

I don’t understand. 

Discourses such as these take place on Twitter all the time so, again, what was the point?

:rip:

4 hours ago, Otter said:

The fact that some of you still pretend that  individuals sensor songs when they hear them at home. Get with reality so we can move on pls :deadbanana4:

If you don't say it out loud, you've said it in your head. The only thing that matters is context and environment, just like all language. 

This. End thread.

17 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Where are the whites supremacist talking points in what he’s said when many Black activists and community spokespersons are saying the same thing, liberal/left-wing ones at that? 

I’m not agreeing nor disagreeing with what he’s said but I’m curious to know why facts like that are usually ignored or bypassed as if it doesn’t exist. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

I came in here thinking the discussion was about whether an American slur could be sung along by non-Americans, or if it would be “cultural imperialist” to hold all people to American cultural standards….

But some of you really need to take a step back and reflect on what you are arguing.  

I feel like a couple things are being forgotten.
1) The only people who can use any slur are the people it refers to.  
2) in a racist society, everyone in that society is racist.  (However one is not inherently morally culpable for being racist.  You are morally culpable for recognizing the flaws of your society and not working to fix their impact on yourself and others) 

3) Things like intoxication and being asked to sing along can decrease moral culpability, but it still does not make the use of a slur ok.   

4 hours ago, Great808 said:

Some of y’all are so obsessed with White ppl :deadbanana2: scary

I seriously dare some of you to come to the Hispanic hoods and try to check one of them for saying or singing this word and watch how fast they knock your jaw to the other side of y’alls heads. Not to mention most of their Black counterparts really just do not care they’re using up. Please grow up 

Lol, I dare some Hispanics come to  a black hood and say the word. They'll get knocked out just a fast. This level of entitlement is embarrassing. 

25 minutes ago, Headlock said:

They're an absolute mess sis, their posts in the Civics section are almost like The Onion parodies :toofunny2:

And a lot not even based in reality.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343923048_Contributors_to_the_black-white_life_expectancy_gap_in_Washington_DC

D.C is still segregated and has a lot of socioeconomic problems inequality.

There is over a $100k gap in median income between White & Black households.  Which would also explain the healthcare disparities there and why 88% of White households there have a bachelors degree compared to just 27% of Black households. 

Poverty is literally calculable to the same or similar outcomes regardless of race :skull:

12 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Where are the whites supremacist talking points in what he’s said when many Black activists and community spokespersons are saying the same thing, liberal/left-wing ones at that? 

I’m not agreeing nor disagreeing with what he’s said but I’m curious to know why facts like that are usually ignored or bypassed as if it doesn’t exist. 

Cuz he's just blaming Black ppl for their socioeconomic hardships, and using the "pull yourself by your bootstrap" ideology 

There is no nuance

If you don't want other people to sing that word then stop using it in your music and stop making it "cool". And I don't listen to/sing along with music containing the N word before anyone tries to drag.

I hate the word f*ggot, therefore I don't use it. Not even in an endearing way with fellow gay friends. Bad word = bad word, for everybody. Simple as that, case closed.

51 minutes ago, frenchyisback said:

If you’re white and work in city politics; is is much much much harder for you to get promoted or commissioned to executive level positions in chocolate city. 

:biblio:

Mods, please

I’ll be honest my thinking has evolved to “who gives a ****”

I still wouldn’t sing it but I don’t really think it’s necessarily all that side eye worthy anymore

I hate to be one of those “both sides are right” people, as usually I think it’s important to take a stand on one position after all things are considered, but two things can be true at the same time:

1. The N word has a dark history, and it makes sense that only black people should be able to say it/it comes across differently when white people say it - even if they don’t have the intention of racism, it’s still there. 

AND 

2. Expecting people not to sing along to songs at your concert verbatim is an unreasonable expectation. People will sing along to your music at concerts, and this should be expected. If you don’t want people to sing along to your lyrics, an artist should consider not putting that word in the song before performing it in front of non-black people. 

This isn’t me trying to do “mental gymnastics”’ or “backflips” (y’all love to use those phrases) to justify white people saying the N word - as I said, it’s racist and wrong. It’s just that truth can exist alongside the second truth. I will say I do wish people had this same energy when Kendrick Lamar - who many hail as some sort of icon for modern blackness, which is unfortunate - said a homophobic slur multiple times on his album and justified it by saying “as long as a white woman can say n******”. Not to mention him working with confirmed r*pists on said album. The double standard is a problem, and before people hit me with the “it’s not the same thing,” it’s enough of the same thing to draw the comparison, nuance considered. It’s one person using a slur that is historically used against a more marginalized group of people. So, I do think both sides have a valid point in this discourse (hence why it’s so hard for people to get on the same page - there’s truth in both arguments) but I wish I saw less hypocrisy. 

At the end of the day, I wish white people would just realize that even if they don’t perceive the act as conscious racism, they could be mindful at least that many black people do and just forego the usage of the word - even if not singing along to songs at a concert verbatim isn’t a necessarily socially productive request.

Stop using and putting words into popular stuff & everywhere and demand people not to say it. Dumbest **** ever.

2 hours ago, Headlock said:

That... is not what discrimination or systemic racism means :rip:

Sure Jan! When you’re not the one missing career opportunity based on your race it doesn’t count I guess. Anyway, I am not even sure why we’re talking about this. 

Fact remains if you don’t want people to read back your words to you as an artist, you should not write them. 
Or maybe make your music available for the culture only if you think only us can sing your songs.

But don't dip in the wallet of white people; and then complain when they love every words you rapped.

I'd personally prefer nobody using the word. :cm:

Edited by frenchyisback

1 hour ago, Armani? said:

Roddy is the one who told them to sing it, and Im sure he knows they would sing that word :skull:

This isnt his 1st time in a predominantly White crowd

Exactly! 

Honestly, this discourse is motherf*cking exhausting. 

He is a rapper performing songs to a crowd that contain the “N-word” in its lyrics. 

Whilst performing, he certainly isn’t rapping the clean version thus the explicit version will be sang. Irrespective of who is in the crowd, they will rap the song accordingly. 

Do people just expect the audience to stand and bop their heads and wave their hands only? Nobody is saying the word with malice or ill-intent; they’re having fun and singing along and the artist clearly doesn’t mind or care. 

Also, this is a music festival in London that is comprised of predominantly urban artists - there are as much as Black people there as there are White people. 

I WAS THERE MYSELF! 

:rip:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

8 hours ago, Bussea said:

He’s racist. That’s why he got demodded. He doesn’t bother trying to hide anymore 

Demoted for racism, but still an active member? Interesting! 

Funny the people in this VERY thread were the same people pissed at Macy Gray and JK Rowling.

You cant make this **** up.

This forum is an echo chamber.

1 hour ago, Armani? said:

Sure! I got stabbed just so I could use it as a White supremacist talking point :clap3:

Edited by frenchyisback

Also, flip this convo around with a gay slur and KEEP ALL THE SAME COMMENTS from this thread.

Thats what happens on other forums.

Its a cute little cycle and the reason there will never be common ground. Its kinda fun to see this thread here and then on LSA and the VAST difference in reactions.