The Guardian on Adele: a glorious masterclass in silly-level stardom

abrahamjmr

But when this singer is finally pushed on to a big stage, wrapped in the kind of glamour that doubles as armour, her sets are masterclasses in how to do silly-level stardom. Adele is so very good at playing live. Her voluminous hair, sculptural nails and gargantuan heartbreak anthems are as familiar to fans in the Diamond enclosure (£379 a ticket) as they are to people who can’t afford any kind of ticket to BST (£90 minimum). But she’s the sort of A-lister who, between songs, code-switches to earthiness without pause. One minute Adele is the record-breaking, post-internet phenomenon who saved the music industry, the next, a pub landlady, wisecracking over her regulars’ troubles. She runs at the mouth because she’s nervous. This makes every sighting of her an event.

Tonight, Adele builds up an epic edifice of song, holding long, luxuriant notes on songs such as opener Hello, then gleefully puncturing it all with some pithy aside. Adele does not just perform “relatability”, like so many others on stages this size, she is just excellent company, bringing something of the music hall to this vast encampment.

Source:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jul/09/adele-bst-hyde-park-london-review-a-glorious-masterclass-in-silly-level-stardom

That's what always made Adele so loveable and relatable. I wish she didn't bring that LA Diva persona who is above everyone else in the industry this era. It was really off-putting for a lot of people. 

They just called her a successful clown

Edited by conquxror

19 minutes ago, Brando said:

That's what always made Adele so loveable and relatable. I wish she didn't bring that LA Diva persona who is above everyone else in the industry this era. It was really off-putting for a lot of people. 

She didn’t. That was a stupid narrative created by Swifties on ATRL. 

Adele really is the global queen of the music industry. There’s hardly a country she hasn’t dominated at some point! Truly a living legend. 

mdlf25-azealia.gif

By the way, it is my belief that if anyone has earned the right to be a diva and big-headed, it’s Adele. 

The fact she isn’t is truly amazing because I’d be the most obnoxious person in the world if I even had a tenth of her success and talent. 

mdlf25-azealia.gif

I mean, I’m obnoxious now so god knows what I’d be like if I went to #1 in almost every country in the world at some point. Y’all wouldn’t be able to tell me NOTHING. 

mdlf25-azealia.gif

If Adele were a man, this wouldn’t even be a conversation. But because Adele is a woman, she has to remain humble and know her place. Swifties should know better than to push that narrative but they did so nonetheless. 

mdlf25-azealia.gif

8 minutes ago, Bey Admired said:

She didn’t. That was a stupid narrative created by Swifties on ATRL. 

confused-oh-ok.gif

Imagine if she disembarks on stadium world tour. 

30 would still stay in Top 100 and she can break Ed's record. 

what even was the point of doing these 2 dates tour this era? just 2 london dates and the era is done? she did all that workout for years to lose weight and cant even do a proper tour now how pathetic

21 minutes ago, Mohit said:

what even was the point of doing these 2 dates tour this era? just 2 london dates and the era is done? she did all that workout for years to lose weight and cant even do a proper tour now how pathetic

fan entitlement like this is so weird :deadbanana:

26 minutes ago, Mohit said:

She can’t lose weight just for herself? :deadbanana: It has to be used to tour? :rip: 

PR fluff piece to try and rehabilitate her tarnished reputation. 

The power of singing and best songwriting around 

:jonny6:

The show was entertaining, and the setlist was perfect. I really wanted her to sing To Be Loved though. 

4 hours ago, Mohit said:

She didn’t lose weight just to please the public, she did because she wanted to.

3 hours ago, Edit0rz said:

PR fluff piece to try and rehabilitate her tarnished reputation. 

Keep telling yourself that.

1 hour ago, abrahamjmr said:

Keep telling yourself that.

You are lying to yourself if you think this era has gone well for her. She has lost her "relatability" and frankly her likeability as an artist. I say that as someone who was invested in her career since before her "big break" on SNL. She wants to act like a diva behind the scenes but pretends to be "normal" if a camera is rolling. If she wants to be a diva have the audacity to be so at all times like Mariah, it's honest and more respectable as opposed to selling yourself as "wisecracking, pub landlady" then acting like a nightmare behind the scenes. I stopped caring around "Skyfall" when there was a definite personality shift. It's obvious she or her label paid for this article because they have seen a shift in the public's reaction to her after Vegas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.