Sri Lanka Protests: President Flees to Singapore. Next stop-Saudi Arabia?

AlanRickman1946

Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa was expected to head to Singapore after fleeing to the Maldives in the early hours of Wednesday, a government source in Sri Lanka told Reuters, as protests continued in Colombo

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/sri-lanka-president-rajapaksa-set-fly-singapore-via-maldives-government-source-2022-07-13/

https://www.icij.org/investigations/pandora-papers/sri-lanka-rajapaksa-family-offshore-wealth-power/

The owner of “Goddess Lakshmi,” and the artworks in transit with it, as recorded on the packing slip, was a Samoan-registered shell company with an unremarkable name, Pacific Commodities Ltd. But a cache of leaked documents from Asiaciti Trust, a Singapore-based financial services provider, indicates that a politically connected Sri Lankan, Thirukumar Nadesan, secretly controls the company and thus is the true owner of the 31 pieces of art. His wife, Nirupama Rajapaksa, is a former member of Sri Lanka’s Parliament and a scion of the powerful Rajapaksa clan.

But the firm continued to work for Nadesan, managing his trusts and shell companies, which at that point held about $10 million in assets. Four years later, in 2020, Singapore’s financial authority would fine Asiaciti $793,000 for failing to implement anti-money- laundering policies and to identify clients at risk of committing financial crimes

https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/sri-lankan-president-rajapaksa-heads-to-saudi-arabia-via-singapore-report-122071400523_1.html

Edited by AlanRickman1946

How about fixing your women's rights first?

take notes, Russian people :jonnycat:

1 hour ago, Delirious said:

Why not both?

30 minutes ago, magazine said:

take notes, Russian people :jonnycat:

There were very intense riots in France. The media didnt cover it much. Maybe they were worried about inducing similar ones elsewhere.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's next for the country? Will they hold new elections?

The president agreed to resign 

18 hours ago, Delirious said:

People are starving in Sri Lanka, ofc they will prioritize their economic needs over social needs (eg. Women’s rights). Theoretically, it should be done both at the same time but reality tells us that it is not the case.

Great to see protest working :clap3:

13 hours ago, nadiamendell said:

Take notes, Americans. :clap3:

Americans are too fat, drugged up and too selfish to organize and riot for the common good :lmao:

CCP DEBT TRAP DIPLOMACY DID THAT :clap3:

Edited by frenchyisback

On 7/11/2022 at 3:31 PM, Espresso said:

Every time a US outfit publicly rants that Russia is to blame for something, you can be sure and secure it is 100% bullshit agitprop, AND coverup for something yankees themselves are to blame for, in this case the country's debt that has to be paid mostly to the US government (loans via IMF, World Bank and other international institutions) and also to (again mostly American) private corporations:

FXeRoNjakAA52Qj?format=jpg&name=small

The direct blame for the over-borrowing and every other mess lies domestically, Sri Lanka has been vultured by its own kleptocracy, especially the Rajapaksa's. That's the last name of the president and countless other important functionaries in every branch of government. This sounds like a royal family but it isn't. Just nepotism of the highest magnitude, mismanaging to an extreme degree (unusual even by the historical corrupt standard of that country) and sucking the life out of the nation. Needless to say these self enriching goons are utterly unqualified and too incompetent to do the right thing even if (by some magic) they had good intentions which they obviously didn't. I mean, if I open a business and simply stuff every single important post in the company with my relatives (that know next to nothing about bookkeeping / accounting or any other relevant sh*t) then my company will be going down in a new york minute.

Edited by Raiden

@Raiden Just for the record, I didn’t agree outright with the premise of the post, which I should’ve made clear. The kleptocracy’s about 80% of it, yeah, I’d agree on that, although I do think there are other very small factors in addition to that, including what you mentioned.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:15 AM, frenchyisback said:

CCP DEBT TRAP DIPLOMACY DID THAT :clap3:

On 7/12/2022 at 3:17 PM, Raiden said:

FXeRoNjakAA52Qj?format=jpg&name=small

These two posts right next to each other. :deadbanana4:

The world Western banking system truly is the most evil thing in the world. :deadbanana4:

Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa was expected to head to Singapore after fleeing to the Maldives in the early hours of Wednesday, a government source in Sri Lanka told Reuters, as protests continued in Colombo 

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/sri-lanka-president-rajapaksa-set-fly-singapore-via-maldives-government-source-2022-07-13/

Okay. What's next?

11 minutes ago, Jude said:

Okay. What's next?

Some say China others say Dubai/Saudi Arabia...

Edited by AlanRickman1946

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.