Nationwide Internet Outage in Canada

frenchyisback

Massive network outage in Canada hits homes, ATMs and 911 emergency lines

Rogers, which dominates mobile and internet market, says teams working to restore service amid widespread disruptions

Reuters in Toronto
Fri 8 Jul 2022 13.43 
  •  

A major outage of mobile and internet networks caused widespread disruptions across Canada on Friday, affecting banks, police emergency lines and customers in the second outage to hit one of the country’s biggest telecom providers in 15 months.

Customers gathered at coffee shops and public libraries to access alternate networks, while financial institutions reported problems with everything from automated machines to cashless payment systems.

Rogers Communications said its technical teams were working to restore services as quickly as possible.

The outage is likely to add to concerns about competition in the industry that is dominated by Rogers.

‘Asleep at the wheel’: Canada police’s spyware admission raises alarm

The company, which has about 10 million wireless subscribers and 2.25 million retail internet subscribers, is the leading service provider in Ontario, and along with BCE and Telus, controls 90% of the market share in Canada.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/08/internet-down-canada-rogers-mobile-network-outage

Not ATMs & 911 too :rip:

This is the 21st century, I hope they invest in their infrastructure.

1 company controlling internet access for 90% of the population of the entire country is not OK.  :deadbanana4:

Edit:

Not TheWeeknd canceling his stadium show over this :gaycat6:

Edited by frenchyisback

yeah it stinks :rip: Like we just had a major wind storm which shut ALL electricity for two weeks and now we have all our internet gone and debit gone (which sucks). I just hope this isn't some sort of cyber attack or w/e....but yeah I hope it doesn't last too long. The fact that we literally only have two internet companies that hold the monopoly on everything is insane. Rogers and Bell are too huge :rip: They literally bullied Verizon from entering the Canadian market like 10 years ago and it seems like they will continue to do this ish...we need more COMPETITION. We also pay the highest internet and phone bill out of all the G7 nations which is INSANE imo.

It's a mess a kii a cackle

I couldn't use my debit card earlier at the grocery store :rip: Luckily my Visa went through

TELUS girls winning today (for once, after getting screwed over with insane prices our whole lives)

36 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

yeah it stinks :rip: Like we just had a major wind storm which shut ALL electricity for two weeks and now we have all our internet gone and debit gone (which sucks). I just hope this isn't some sort of cyber attack or w/e....but yeah I hope it doesn't last too long. The fact that we literally only have two internet companies that hold the monopoly on everything is insane. Rogers and Bell are too huge :rip: They literally bullied Verizon from entering the Canadian market like 10 years ago and it seems like they will continue to do this ish...we need more COMPETITION. We also pay the highest internet and phone bill out of all the G7 nations which is INSANE imo.

Canadians are too polite and too willing to take ****

Our internet was down most of the afternoon and evening and I’m in the US

2 minutes ago, phreshprince said:

Our internet was down most of the afternoon and evening and I’m in the US

Are you by the Canadian border?

Ive always assumed you were from NoCal or Washington State for some reason. ? 

Horizon Flame

This is why moving towards a paperless society is dangerous. 

the issue with 2 companies controlling everything has been known for a while, but no one is willing to do anything about it :michael:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.