• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Into The Void

• James_Dean

• Ampersand13

• BuzzCharts

Surprisingly I love No More Drama the most, his slower a bit RnB stuffs really hit :jonny5:

so my faves are Loser (thank god it's the next single bc it's so good!!!), Tears On My Piano and Marks On My Neck:gaycat2: Smells Like Me still my #1 of the whole album:1stplace::heart: deserves to become a sleeper hit! 

I know I heard when you're sad I'm sad before but I can't figure out what he samples in it, even though it's so familiar

Well he spent more time creating memes and gay baiting than working on his music.

It is a super vanilla album.

I feel like everybody has been doing that kind of flavourless 80's like pop music since 2020.

Eeeesh.

The short songs are killing him here.

IMO, Charlie’s strong suit is he knows how to make a super catchy melody, and he doesn’t overcomplicate them - so even though he’s not a great lyricist, and you can just *feel* the buttons being pressed whenever we hear an “electric guitar”, usually his melodies shine.

Here, everything is so short and sped up that you have almost no build up to these choruses, and they all feel smooshed one right after another and blend together. Almost none of the songs feel like you have room to breathe and sink in with you.

The exception is Smells Like Me, which felt like a release. To me, that was far and away his best track on here.

I don’t know who is spearheading these short tracks, but this was such a bad decision. Charlie needs to connect with audiences at this stage in his career, because radio is increasingly hesitant to play him, and he clearly wasn’t interested in taking many sonic risks with this album. And an album full of songs you can’t sink in and breathe with — it makes it a lot harder to connect. 

This album is about being in the throes of a bad breakup, and a ton of drama —— but he ends up undermining his genuine heartbreak and it just comes across like the heartbreak was really just a bunch of (figurative) noise.

There’s catchy stuff here, but it feels like a quick dopamine hit that’s over before you get to really enjoy. 

Is this full of enjoyable pop tunes? Sure. Every track is catchy.

But is much of this *interesting*? No.
Is this going to help him broaden his fanbase? No.

Is this going to be an album that connects with a ton of people after a few months? Nah.

Voicenotes remains a clearly superior album.

To me, this album honestly makes it seem like Charlie Puth, as an artist, just doesn’t have that much to say.

Edited by theflying

I don’t think Charlie has ever had much to say, that’s not why people are tuning into his music.  He makes generic fun pop songs with crisp production.  

I do think he expanded his audience a bit with this album.  Those viral tik toks led to the singles gaining a lot more traction.  I watched a reaction today where the guys had never even listened to NTM or VN, but tuned into this album because of the tik toks. 

16 minutes ago, theflying said:

To me, this album honestly makes it seem like Charlie Puth, as an artist, just doesn’t have that much to say.

I always thought this was such an odd thing to say about any artist. Why can't an artist just make music just for the sake of making music? Why does there need to be some kind of underlying message in a body of work? Especially for something as innocent as pop music 

went in with no expectations but it’s easily his best album :clap3:

Marks on my neck needed a bridge and a final chorus and it would be the best song on the album next to smells like me :jonnycat:

Smells Like Me is my fave. it's a good album. it doesn't really feel like an album to me first listen more like a collection of good songs for tik tok. voicenotes is still my fave. 

2 hours ago, James_Dean said:

I always thought this was such an odd thing to say about any artist. Why can't an artist just make music just for the sake of making music? Why does there need to be some kind of underlying message in a body of work? Especially for something as innocent as pop music 

Because all that art is, is communication.  

It’s not that Charlie has to have a grand world changing message. The themes of this album are clear — being in bad relationship, navigating it, and coming out of it.

It just, thematically feels very similar to Voicenotes. And the music choices are certainly not more inspired or risky than what he tried with Voicenotes. And because of the length of the songs, he doesn’t really do anything that feels risky — sonically, lyrically, musically. I mean, sure, if we parsed it down we could probably provide examples of how he’s grown since Voicenotes, and the lyrics are more raw and pointed.

But it doesn’t FEEL raw or pointed even if the lyrics are.

Ultimately, as a body of work, it suffocated itself by undermining the feelings Charlie is singing about by making so many trimmed of any fluroshes.

I’m not saying the short songs ARE the reason for all this — but the album is basically like a swimsuit cover that’s been overly photoshopped; it’s so determined to be perfect and look a certain way and be X length that nothing about it feels like organic. The whole thing is constructed so that you can never really sit in the musical world of almost any song. They come, they go. It undermines his work. And that’s where you start to realize — maybe he doesn’t have anything artistically higher he’s worried about undermining. Maybe this is it.

This is all he has to say.

If you want an example of someone who does the music game well without compromising her art and what she’s trying to say, look at Taylor Swift.

Edited by theflying

13 hours ago, Insanity said:

Taste but Tears is my 11 

TOMP is growing on me now. :clap3:

This is my first time giving Charlie's music a chance (the thirst traps got me), and this is actually a really decent pop album. It's something light and fun to just put on in the background and vibe.

Loser is getting into my feelings right now. It's so f*cking good. :WAP:

Why did he make a comedic MV for this emotional song? I hate him. :biblio:

2 hours ago, theflying said:

Because all that art is, is communication.  

It’s not that Charlie has to have a grand world changing message. The themes of this album are clear — being in bad relationship, navigating it, and coming out of it.

It just, thematically feels very similar to Voicenotes. And the music choices are certainly not more inspired or risky than what he tried with Voicenotes. And because of the length of the songs, he doesn’t really do anything that feels risky — sonically, lyrically, musically. I mean, sure, if we parsed it down we could probably provide examples of how he’s grown since Voicenotes, and the lyrics are more raw and pointed.

But it doesn’t FEEL raw or pointed even if the lyrics are.

Ultimately, as a body of work, it suffocated itself by undermining the feelings Charlie is singing about by making so many trimmed of any fluroshes.

I’m not saying the short songs ARE the reason for all this — but the album is basically like a swimsuit cover that’s been overly photoshopped; it’s so determined to be perfect and look a certain way and be X length that nothing about it feels like organic. The whole thing is constructed so that you can never really sit in the musical world of almost any song. They come, they go. It undermines his work. And that’s where you start to realize — maybe he doesn’t have anything artistically higher he’s worried about undermining. Maybe this is it.

This is all he has to say.

If you want an example of someone who does the music game well without compromising her art and what she’s trying to say, look at Taylor Swift.

He didn't compromise anything. Charlie made short songs because that's what HE felt gave the message and it paid off. Its his most critically acclaimed album yet

Hes siting at an 81 on metacritic

I honestly expected him to get panned 

Edited by Insanity

no one post about the rest and i dont follow numbers anymore, probably clear 15M and close to 20M.

1 minute ago, Polgg48 said:

no one post about the rest and i dont follow numbers anymore, probably clear 15M and close to 20M.

the rest didn't chart on Global Spotify so first day streams are under 12M.