Bette Middler posts Islamophobic tweet, gets dragged in replies

Jotham

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Nah, you said liberals think only white people can be evil, implying Islam is a race, and made a fool out of yourself. It’s not racist to point out racism. :rip:

I know exactly the distinction between religion and race, you don't need to remind me, and now thats your problem? Wasn't it that you claimed that I said that born people where evil? Where was that in my post? :ahh: you just made it up in your mind man 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Communion

• Sugar-Rush

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Nah, you said liberals think only white people can be evil, implying Islam is a race, and made a fool out of yourself. It’s not racist to point out racism. :rip:

are you trolling cause you are literally pulling up stuff people dont say.

1 minute ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

1) its neither sis. its a liberal and capitalist democracy, and yes in a democracy there is room for religious law so this first question makes zero sense:bibliahh:

2) Islam might not have a negative impact (in your pov lol) but people should be allowed to criticize it openly without being fearful or coming across "racist" or "islamophobic" is what im saying. 

For the rest i have no clue what you are talking about tbh. All i did was explain how abortion is unislamic, how liberals look hypocritical for only criticizing christianity and not islam and how secularism and Islam do not co-incide. :deadbanana4: where did i speak on American Muslims or US laws impacting American muslims..

that user forcing you to answer that the US is a facist christian state :rip: there's some people with an agenda on this site, be careful 

2 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

I know exactly the distinction between religion and race, you don't need to remind me, and now thats your problem? Wasn't it that you claimed that I said that born people where evil? Where was that in my post? :ahh: you just made it up in your mind man 

“Liberal people think only whites can be evil” is such a racist and right-wing thing to say, and yes it conflates Islam for ambiguous “brown” villains.

1 minute ago, Gorgeous said:

that user forcing you to answer that the US is a facist christian state :rip: there's some people with an agenda on this site, be careful 

The US is a fascist state.

the fact that he was so convinced that I believed that brown people were evil... :ahh:

the fact that he was so convinced that I believed that brown people were evil... :ahh:

this is always how they ride when losing arguments tho. they twist words purposely to portray a picture that has literally nothing to do with the conversation. i'll just ignore the user cause theres no arguing possible at this point. saying one believes that all brown people are evil from thin air is literally such slander tho:biblionny:

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Liberal people think only whites can be evil” is such a racist and right-wing thing to say, and yes it conflates Islam for ambiguous “brown” villains.

very nice of you to omit the first words were I say that some liberals believe [...] and try to make it sound like I was referring to all liberals, when I'm one myself... go home wokie, your shift has ended. 

very nice of you to omit the first words were I say that some liberals believe [...] and try to make it sound like I was referring to all liberals, when I'm one myself... go home wokie, your shift has ended. 

ATRL might not be the place for you if you call people on the left “wokies” un-ironically.

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

this is always how they ride when losing arguments tho. they twist words purposely to portray a picture that has literally nothing to do with the conversation. i'll just ignore the user cause theres no arguing possible at this point. saying one believes that all brown people are evil from thin air is literally such slander tho:biblionny:

they literally take such a serious issue like racism and turn it into a card to use when they loose an argument.  

32 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

WHERE IN THE HELL DID I SAY THAT :ahh:

The voices in his delusional mind told him that.

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

ATRL might not be the place for you if you call people on the left “wokies” un-ironically.

again, you are omitting the ''some'' out of my context. There is an extreme liberal branch that has grown this past decade that pulls out racism/homophobic/etc.phobic accusations out of thin air and try to erase everyone who doesn't exactly see the world as they do. Just as extreme right-wingers, they will go to extreme lengths to further their narrative and to convince that everyone should think like them. You just made an unfortunate racist accusation on me, and now that I'm proving it to you that thats not what my post said at all, you just keep making awful racist accusations. 

3 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

they literally take such a serious issue like racism and turn it into a card to use when they loose an argument.  

It’s “lose” an argument, but we didn’t. You guys just want deflect from America’s problems by focusing on Islamic countries.

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

its neither sis.

Describing America as "liberal" and "democratic" gives away you're not actually interested in the negative impact of Abrahamic faiths on societies. The SCOTUS is meeting with priests for consultation on laws. States like Florida are banning being gay and trans in public life on the basis of these as religious sins.

You're so far removed from what women, atheists and LGBT people are experiencing under the dominance of Christianity in America that I wouldn't even be shocked if you're not posting from America, which makes this bad faith whataboutism meant to redirect the focus on abortion in the US to Islam even worse.

4 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Islam might not have a negative impact 

You're right - it does not given that all Muslim members of Congress have a 100% rating from NARAL. In fact, Christian Evangelicals are more opposed to abortion than American Muslims, with polls showing the difference to range between 20% more to up to 30% more.

5 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

people should be allowed to criticize it

No one is afraid of criticizing it. This is a line of attack invented up by the far-right, European conservatives and reactionary ex-Muslims not even living in the US trying to lobby Americans to listen to them. 

The vast majority of Americans are not interested in the specifics of religious scripture. Secularism in the US is not defined as secularism elsewhere, like it is defined as "the absence of religion in public life" in Europe. There are no attacks on Christianity in American public discourse, even now. Secularism is the coexistence of religions. Nearly no one is having theological debates on merits of x or y as religious philosophies.

People who are called racist or islamophobic are not "criticizing Islam" but leveraging a false stereotype that Islam is uniquely conservative (it is not in the American context) and harmful, and thus we should do things like strip the rights of Muslim Americans away or limit the immigration of Muslims into the US. That is plainly racist, yes.

20 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

how abortion is unislamic

It's apparently not in America given that a majority of American Muslims support it even in conservative figures.

21 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

\and how secularism and Islam do not co-incide. 

Again, maybe you're not actually from America and are projecting but millions of Muslims exist in the US. They are both Muslim while living in what is - supposed to be - a secular society. Ironically, Muslims, Jews and Atheists within America bond over that the only threat to our religious and irreligious freedom is Evangelical Christianity.

"AMERICANS!! DON'T BE AFRAID!! FREE YOURSELF FROM FEARING THE ISLAM!!" is just like.. parody. :deadbanana4:

7 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

t’s “lose” an argument

oh and now you are making fun of me bc English isn't my first language.... you truly are a bit empty up there 

3 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

oh and now you are making fun of me bc English isn't my first language.... you truly are a bit empty up there 

I’m not. Are you from the USA though? Because if not, @Communion’s points make more sense. 

Someone help me out.

Which ones are the outlier here?

Abortion-Poll-01-2048x1717.png

3 minutes ago, Communion said:

Someone help me out.

B- B- But, I was told NO MUSLIMS supported abortion?? 

I don't think she should tweet stuff like this

not that I care for any of these mythologies 

People seem to be missing the point. These kind of positions are uncalled for because they promote discrimination and hate, monkeypox has been largely transmitted in Europe and the Americas by gay men, should we accept someone trying to link the ilness in a mockery way to gay men because it's "the truth". Yes Muslim countries have laws that should be reviewed and they should be criticized for it. But we're not talking about that, we're talking about America, where, no, Sharia law is not being imposed and Islaphobia is rampamt. By propagating these kinda of stereotypes you're not addressing any issue, rather you're just propagating discrimination.

Edited by brazil

33 minutes ago, Communion said:

Someone help me out.

:clap3: White people just really can't hide their racism in any way shape of form

5FyPLeA.gif

I dont even think this was a reference to islam, but a reference to the Omish and Handsmaid tale tbh.

Ok I don't understand the point of this :rip: I tried to see the good intentions in her tweet about the "women being erased" thing, but this? What was the point of this... 

4 hours ago, Communion said:

You don't need to reach to comparisons within Islam when America is a Christian nation, founded on Christianity, and in which its founding was a mass genocide of people on the basis that such was part of its religious purpose and manifest destiny, an inherently European and Christian barbarism. 

It's so funny how people allegedly from countries and communities where Islam is this big central negative force in their life always lash out at progressives "for centering themselves"and "erasing the voices of people brave enough to leave Islam" and "ex-Muslims" yet this thread has been nothing but the same people doing just that re: abortion and the reality of America.

This conversation isn't about Islam. Nothing in America is about Islam. America in its foundation is a Christofascist theocracy and ex-Muslims or people who fashion themselves as "speaking to the truth on Islam" need to stop centering themselves in conversations about those who experience oppression within America's theocracy due to the rule of Christianity in the government. 

"Well I grew up in a Muslim country and Islam is objectively worse than Christianity" is such a tone-deaf and egomanical comment to repeatedly try and insert into discussions of people fearing for their lives under Christianity. :rip:

I can't believe there are people in this thread agreeing with her and defending her but then again this is ATRL :deadvision:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.