Bette Middler posts Islamophobic tweet, gets dragged in replies

Jotham

the ten pages of mess

1 hour ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Oh I don't know, maybe because they're similar with regards to being conservative and not caring about women's rights? :psyduck: Why exactly does it bother some  ATRLers that 6 conservative SCOTUS judges are being compared to a terrorist organization? Do y'all feel bad for the Taliban or...? 

I suppose Bette could've compared SCOTUS to the Third Reich though; would that have been better? 

your so close to getting it sis, comparing to either is insensitive and bizarre :clap3:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Communion

• Sugar-Rush

2 minutes ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

News flash: The Taliban/Islam is not the tentpole of misogyny and conservatism in the world. Open a book, look up your own country's history. Understand that these stupid ass comparisons only further a belief that Muslims are barbaric when these laws are being passed in AMERICA based on AMERICAN beliefs. You realize that The Supreme Court is reading our very own constitution and belief system to forge their rulings, not the Quran, not the Shariah law, not Muslim Scholars. 

Comparing radical Christians to the Taliban =/= Muslim prosecution. Nobody believes that the Taliban represent all Muslims, so for people to completely blow this out of proportion is asinine.

And excuse me, but shame on you for implying that people can't draw comparisons between two religions even when there are valid similarities to be talked about. This thinly-veiled attempt to shield extremist Islamic groups like the Taliban from criticism by saying that Americans/Christians should only criticize other Americans/Christians, and ignore other radical religious groups is so obsolete. We live in the 21st century, and freedom of speech exists. If Bette or anyone else wants to draw comparisons between two very similar group of people in order to prove a point about the problematic state of American conservatism and female reproductive rights, they should be free to do so without repercussions. 

Why are a bunch of people defending someone that would proudly take your life away if you were in their country right now? Weeeiiirrdddd. 

8 minutes ago, Great808 said:

Why are a bunch of people defending someone that would proudly take your life away if you were in their country right now? Weeeiiirrdddd. 

You're witnessing the effects of woke brainwashing. Having contradictory beliefs and coming up with excuses for them is one of the tenets of wokeism.

11 minutes ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Comparing radical Christians to the Taliban =/= Muslim prosecution. Nobody believes that the Taliban represent all Muslims, so for people to completely blow this out of proportion is asinine.

And excuse me, but shame on you for implying that people can't draw comparisons between two religions even when there are valid similarities to be talked about. This thinly-veiled attempt to shield extremist Islamic groups like the Taliban from criticism by saying that Americans/Christians should only criticize other Americans/Christians, and ignore other radical religious groups is so obsolete. We live in the 21st century, and freedom of speech exists. If Bette or anyone else wants to draw comparisons between two very similar group of people in order to prove a point about the problematic state of American conservatism and female reproductive rights, they should be free to do so without repercussions. 

And now you're regurgitating Republican viewpoints. She's on TWITTER not the steps of the white house. Please get it together. Freedom of speech =/= Freedom from consequences, which is why she's getting rightfully dragged. 

But you can't answer WHY she would choose that group specifically? Using Muslims to drive a point home is incredibly problematic. Especially because she didn't even show the Taliban, just men with Beards, Turbans & a woman in a niqab. Notice how your mind went immediately to the Taliban, why?

I'm not going to have you sit here and gaslight me when I've seen the circle jerk of users sprinting in these threads with the same BS talking points in every Islamic/Muslim related thread no matter what. I don't think you have any malice towards Muslims, but please think a little more critically as to why this would be offensive to Muslim Americans who, as evidenced, are majority in support of Abortion. 

no what really gets me is the islam apologists clapping back. :deadbanana2: because islam is a beacon model of human rights right? lmaooo

1 hour ago, Sugar-Rush said:

1 hour ago, Great808 said:

51 minutes ago, Nano said:

You're witnessing the effects of woke brainwashing. Having contradictory beliefs and coming up with excuses for them is one of the tenets of wokeism.

You three are legitimately illiterate and make the experience of conversing on this forum worse off by virtue of repeatedly either being ignorant to the point of spreading misinformation or continually trolling in right-wing nonsense. :skull:

No one is defending any religion except for you three trying to argue that the only way to highlight Christian extremism is by comparing it to Islam. 

Islam has nothing to do with America. Islam has nothing to do with the SCOTUS. We are having a conversation about Christianity in America and which you are trying to hijack by making about Islam. You are literally going: "hmmm you won't use this moment to criticize RADICAL ISLAM???? you must LOVE TERRORISM!!!"  

It is beyond being intellectually bankrupt at this point pages in. 

1 minute ago, Communion said:

You three are legitimately illiterate

Don't make me report you for ableism.

"defending islam!!!? they want you dead!!!"

:lmao:

7 minutes ago, Nano said:

Don't make me report you for ableism.

I'm being generous in assuming your offensive posts are by virtue of not knowing better when people quite literally explain to you the facts of the situation. If you instead want to opt-to being a far-right troll who not only is off topic by rambling on about "wokes!!!" but also peddling Islamophobia like suggesting gay people have to hate and want to disenfranchise Muslims, feel free. 

She is comparing the Supreme Court to the Taliban not all Muslims. The Taliban rules in Afghanistan.  Last time I've checked, the Taliban is not in power in other countries that have a majority Muslim population. That's like calling out the Pope and thinking you're talking to all Christians of all sects and detonations around the entire world.  

The fact that people are defending this loser just because she was in some old ass witch movie :rip:

Love yourselves 

I don’t know what the Quran says about abortion, but I do know that in the vast majority of so-called Muslim countries, abortion is banned and they generally have terrible records as it pertains to women’s rights. So I’m going to need gay men on ATRL to stop defending Islam as though it’s the beacon of women’s liberation. Not only is it intellectually dishonest, it’s dangerous.

There are women and LGBT members across these countries risking their lives on a daily basis fighting for their rights and you’re on here defending and whitewashing the very systems that oppress them. 

Of course, the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, wonderful people. But that’s not the point. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, Communion said:

You don't need to reach to comparisons within Islam when America is a Christian nation, founded on Christianity, and in which its founding was a mass genocide of people on the basis that such was part of its religious purpose and manifest destiny, an inherently European and Christian barbarism. 

It's so funny how people allegedly from countries and communities where Islam is this big central negative force in their life always lash out at progressives "for centering themselves"and "erasing the voices of people brave enough to leave Islam" and "ex-Muslims" yet this thread has been nothing but the same people doing just that re: abortion and the reality of America.

This conversation isn't about Islam. Nothing in America is about Islam. America in its foundation is a Christofascist theocracy and ex-Muslims or people who fashion themselves as "speaking to the truth on Islam" need to stop centering themselves in conversations about those who experience oppression within America's theocracy due to the rule of Christianity in the government. 

"Well I grew up in a Muslim country and Islam is objectively worse than Christianity" is such a tone-deaf and egomanical comment to repeatedly try and insert into discussions of people fearing for their lives under Christianity. :rip:

:clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.