Could the "Scary Movie" movies be released today?

Gui Blackout

11 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

I don’t think they would do well, but not because of the humour, that structure of film is just dated. I don’t get people in here acting like politically incorrect/dark humour is over when there’s millions of different communities and platforms dedicated to just that. Hell even Netflix endorses a Dave Chappelle + his shows still are enjoyed by millions. 

agreed, its more about that type of parody film just not being popular anymore. that even showed with the fifth installment bombing hard. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walk_Away21

• Chris

• DoubleRainbow!

• Totami Legend

The way y'all are turning into boomers and don't even realize it, "back in my day everything was so much better" :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

Idk but that trailer for SM2 in the OP was so bad :skull: Not a single funny joke.

Scary Movie 2 was the worst one. The others are hilarious.

Yes I want more also White chicks 2 pls :clap3: bring back cinema 

7 hours ago, Totami Legend said:

The over dramatics in this thread:deadbanana4: 

y'all need a rewatch cause nothing was problematic in those movies :michael:

Not some of you calling out Brenda racist (I assume for the white jokes) I’m out of this :deadbanana4:

Nope because people have a problem with everything just look at all the threads here people make asking "is this problematic?" Every 5 mins. They like the drama of it all and wanna get offended by everything

9 hours ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Scary Movie 2 was the worst one

Everything after Scary Movie 3 was awful.....

16 minutes ago, Chris said:

Everything after Scary Movie 3 was awful.....

Sweetie no

5 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Sweetie no

There's a reason why Scary Movie 4 and 5 were the most critically panned out of all five movies.

No, this unfunny college humor belongs in the 2000s where people laughed at farting jokes, Jackass and American Pie. 

i think so cause i dont think any of the movies is THAT problematic but think a scene or two would be edited out

They can and should still be making these type of movies and let the people decide whether or not they want to support it. Im sure there would be essay upon essay on why the movies are actually promoting violence and killing marginalized people or something to that effect, but those essays dont often...push people away from a movie. They often make people interested to see what the fuss is about. But again, only way to see if that would be true or not is to release one of these nowadays. Just a satire movie making jokes. And we'll see what happens! 

11 hours ago, Angelgrande said:

Yes I want more also White chicks 2 pls :clap3: bring back cinema 

nah. Let that classic alone. The last comedies the same team did were TERRIBLE.

i mean scenes from it go viral on twitter pretty often, didn’t know it was seen as overly problematic but parody movies are a thing of the past so they wouldn’t work today for that reason

1 & 2 were great and genuinely funny when it was rated R and they could really go there 

I like the Scary Movie franchise and there’s some genuinely funny moments but has that 2000s humor that feels kinda dated overall so probably not.

No, unfortunately. The current teenage demographic do not know how to laugh, at all.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:18 AM, Beyonnaise said:

I think Gen Z is less sensitive than the terminally online "carrd in bio" Twitter types would make us think. I saw clips of the first movie viral recently, namely the one who's in denial about being gay. And obviously Brenda will always be an iconic meme staple.

I mean being that it’s satire I think it’s more making fun of the social constructs and stereotypes that it’s representing so even though some of the jokes and humour probably wouldn’t fly I could see the characters still being well received today.

Edited by CroNich

Didn't realise how bad these movies were until I recently rewatched scream 1 and realised that the creators of scary movie essentially made a parody film based on... a parody(difference is the Scream movies are actually funny and clever).

Late 90s/early 00s American humor was just low brow and lazy tbh

No way.

1) Problematic humor

2) Outdated humor

3) Spoof movie format

Ngl, Scary Movie 1 & 2 are classics though :gaycat6:

Scary Movie 1 & 2 with the Wayans are still great. They still replay them on TV all the time. The rest aged horribly bar a few Brenda scenes.

I am Gen Z and I really enjoyed watching these movies. :lmao: But if it was released today? Hell no. It would just be outdated, honestly. 

The people who aren't Gen Z saying we have no sense of humor :rip: You know that most of the people that complain about everything on social media are MILLENIALS right? All those Buzzfeed writers and faux activists are all older than Gen Z but sure we're the sensitive ones.

OT: If the marketing is right yes but the format is kinda dated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.