Macy Gray transphobic interview

DONTYELLATME

16 hours ago, Jude said:

The f? Considering Ariana is a very vocal and active supporter of transpeople this is beyond disappointing. :biblio:

Just because they collaborated once, is Ariana the starting point when people talk about Macy Gray? :rip: 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FreeXone

• GraceRandolph

• sweetkiss

• RunUpDoneUp

11 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

And her music isn’t that good and that’s just a fact. 

Her latest album is briliiant.

7 hours ago, The7thStranger said:

This one hurts. I have so many of her records, and this will definitely tarnish how I feel about her. 

Please, send those records to me before deciding to throw them into the trash.

16 hours ago, Never Ending said:

This is... tragic. I didn't expect this from her... And to think I had some love for her.

Honestly same. I am so disappointed in her. I love her voice and I was actually annoyed with her constant flopping. 

ariana needs to address this like dua with levitating

1613294941_lisabarlow2.thumb.gif.9da8d4d

8 hours ago, RunUpDoneUp said:

I don't do passive transphobia: a trasphobia big or small leads to the siphoning of rights in general.

She's not right at all actually; like most bigots she believes she has a qualifier to how strong an identity is and whether it can be valid or not. No one, in the history of any trans existence has claimed trans women as cis. That's literally the whole point of the "trans" that the person is NOT cis, so this dogwhistle of comparing a trans woman to a cis woman is already a dishonest framing, one bigots do ALWAYS. The way you dehumanize someone is by dismissing their humanity in relation to another; this is done by framing trans women as a separate and lesser existence than that of a cisgender woman. Whether intentional or not, she's doing the same dehumanizing behavior that nazis, racists, misogynists, homophobes and whatever other well known bigot group has done for YEARS. The road to genocide isn't done with grandeur, it's done with dehumanizing act after dehumanizing act; "they're different but I respect them, they just aren't LIKE ME"/"I'm fine with them being themselves SEPERATE from me(also known as "behind closed doors/where I can't see.)"

Macy couldn't tell you the first thing about female athletics or how the testing works much less the biological composition of a female athlete and how they differ and the arbitrary lines that we change over time that were different before and after segregation. Biologists have LONG, literally LONG since validated that trans women are women, this is just ignorant, unscientifically supported bigotry that is popularized by rightwingers and idiot centrists she's repeating. Women's sports has been no different with trans athletes than it was before it, matter of fact, women were seen as uninteresting unless they did tennis, gymnastics or volleyball as far as entertainment was concerned.

The macy grays of the world know nothing beyond their own bodies yet have dubbed themselves authorities in the name of victimhood, all without the proof to back it up, while ignoring the proof of their own harm committed by their murderous allies.

These arguments are always a little confusing to me. 

On one hand you’re saying no one has ever argued trans women are biological women but then going and saying no one should view trans women as separate? 

The reason why so many people refuse to get on board with accepting trans people is this forced concept of black and white e.g. “trans women are women. PERIOD.” As issue as complex isn’t black and white. There’s a lot of grey. 

For example abortion rights. Trans women are not affected the way biological women are because they are biologically incapable of getting pregnant. So for some (not all) biological women, it is dismissive to equate them when trans women and cis women do not face the same struggles. Trans women did not lose their bodily rights like cis women did. That being said, trans women also face their own struggles.

Maybe it’s just me, but you can view a trans women as women but still think there’s a distinction between trans women and cis women WITHOUT being transphobic and AGAINST trans women. Forcing a black and white view point will be what causes this division to stay put. 

52 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Maybe it’s just me, but you can view a trans women as women but still think there’s a distinction between trans women and cis women WITHOUT being transphobic and AGAINST trans women.

You absolutely can. Cis women don't grow up the same way trans women do. It's all in how you express that, and Macy did a horrendous job of that.

Also, she posted questionable content about the vaccine, so I really don't take what she has to say seriously anymore.

Edited by The7thStranger

9 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

You absolutely can. Cis women don't grow up the same way trans women do. It's all in how you express that, and Macy did a horrendous job of that.

Also, she posted questionable content about the vaccine, so I really don't take what she has to say seriously anymore.

I’m not even going to pretend I care about Macy. I just live in Texas and I know what it’s like to deal with conservatives first hand and the main reason they will not get on board is liberals are HORRIBLE at expressing their point. 

if a conservative agrees with 99 things (in terms of say homosexuality, but disagrees with 1) they’ll be labeled homophobic regardless if they agree with far more than what they disagree. 

liberals have pushed an “all or nothing” campaign with social issues and it will NEVER work out that way. 

13 minutes ago, Gaia said:

I’m not even going to pretend I care about Macy. I just live in Texas and I know what it’s like to deal with conservatives first hand and the main reason they will not get on board is liberals are HORRIBLE at expressing their point

if a conservative agrees with 99 things (in terms of say homosexuality, but disagrees with 1) they’ll be labeled homophobic regardless if they agree with far more than what they disagree. 

liberals have pushed an “all or nothing” campaign with social issues and it will NEVER work out that way. 

I really don't think the reason conservatives don't "get on board" is because liberals are bad at expressing their point. That's a very simplistic way of putting it.

Regardless, this feels a bit too off the mark for what Macy did. She didn't just misspeak. She went on a show hosted by Piers Morgan, a notorious misogynist, and made it a point to differentiate cis women from transwomen in a way that warped the community's own narrative. And given how many money she's earned from the queer community, she deserves to be called out for her insensitive comments.

I'm happy she'll respect people's pronouns, but she's using what little influence she still has to cast the trans community in the wrong light. She's an ignorant fool, and she needs to do a little respect before she opens her mouth.

4 hours ago, sweetkiss said:

i know her personally and shes the sweetest person ever. Im 100% she respects everyone, this is just her opinion and thats fine. I always find it crazy people demanding acceptance are not willing to give acceptance. Different people exist, we can all co exist by respecting each other. Also, people change. 

Being against someone's existence is not an 'opinion' and it's a really dangerous rhetoric to act as if it is

YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THAT'S THE ONLY REASON WHY SHE WAS ON PIERS ******* MORGAN OF ALL PEOPLE.

Disgusting.

someone make a version of ariana grande leave me lonely without her ugly ass vocals

30 minutes ago, Cain said:

Being against someone's existence is not an 'opinion' and it's a really dangerous rhetoric to act as if it is

she isnt against anyone, people that watched full thing said she respects it but this is what she believes.

i would agree with you if she was bullying someone over it.

+ trans person said it here, they are aware they are not biologically women (which is what macy gray said)

im not angry over this comment, i think its better to have debate and open conversation versus putting it under rug 

TERF trash

12 hours ago, FreeXone said:

Im a trans woman and watching her interview in full I did not see malice in it.

Here is the thing she was at least respectful so I accept her for that. She said she will still ackowledge people for who they want to be so that itself is all a trans person ask. She ackowledged gender identity is something seperate from the biological. People took her lil tid bit and need to watch the full interview. 

Trans women know they arent biological women. We wish we could be but the cards were dealt how they were. Just as long as you can be respectful thats all I ask. She wasnt vulgar like JK Rowling 

I too seen the full interview and she definitely went into deeper details. I’m not surprise that ATRL only posted the controversial part. 

Damage control "apology":

“I have nothing but love for the LGBTQ+ and transgender community and have been a supporter since day one,” Gray shared in a statement to Billboard following the backlash. “My statement on Piers Morgan was grossly misunderstood.  I don’t hate anyone.  I respect everyone’s right to feel comfortable in their bodies and live their own truth.”

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/macy-gray-statement-anti-trans-response-1235110608/

51 minutes ago, sweetkiss said:

she isnt against anyone, people that watched full thing said she respects it but this is what she believes.

If she ''respects'' them (as in trans women, not ''it'', whatever that's supposed to refer to) while at the same time invalidating their right to identify as women then she doesn't respect them and therefore is transphobic. It's pretty straightforward. :gaycat6:

51 minutes ago, sweetkiss said:

they are aware they are not biologically women (which is what macy gray said)

No, it isn't. She said trans women AREN'T women, period. There's no way to interpret her statement in any other way given that's what she literally said with her own mouth, on camera. :gaycat6:

• ATRL Moderator
10 minutes ago, Hector said:

Damage control "apology":

“I have nothing but love for the LGBTQ+ and transgender community and have been a supporter since day one,” Gray shared in a statement to Billboard following the backlash. “My statement on Piers Morgan was grossly misunderstood.  I don’t hate anyone.  I respect everyone’s right to feel comfortable in their bodies and live their own truth.”

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/macy-gray-statement-anti-trans-response-1235110608/

She should have known any possible comments made on PIERS MORGAN would be taken out of context :rip: 

1 minute ago, AMIT said:

If she ''respects'' them (as in trans women, not ''it'', whatever that's supposed to refer to) while at the same time invalidating their right to identify as women then she doesn't respect them and therefore is transphobic. It's pretty straightforward. :gaycat6:

No, it isn't. She said trans women AREN'T women, period. There's no way to interpret her statement in any other way given that's what she literally said with her own mouth, on camera. :gaycat6:

but they are not, they are trans women.

dont hold onto my 'it', english isnt my first language

2 minutes ago, sweetkiss said:

but they are not, they are trans women.

dont hold onto my 'it', english isnt my first language

They ARE women, what they are not are cis women, the same way cis women are women but are not trans women, given they are cis. :skull: 

I don't think Macy is transphobic. But coming off the heels of her greatest album and a great comeback, he should've kept it to herself. 

She's a strong voice about gay rights and community rights in general, so I'm surprised she said this.

4 hours ago, FreeXone said:

She says she undestand the difference between biological sex and gender identity. 

She said she will always respect peoples pronouns

She said if someone want to be called a woman than she will call them a woman.

So all in all. While it isnt full acceptance. All I ask of people in this world is to be tolerable. She has her opinion which is somewhat valid but she just, like many cis women still want their own identity solidified. They feel like they are being rewritten and not spoken for. So I think that's where much of the heat is being directed.

And this too...

Macy is clearly very FOR the community, very pro-democratic. She always has been since her debut.

"I know that for a fact" So, how do you know, Macy?

I love it when transphobes 'respect' us but invalid us at the same time. We as transwomen know that we are not cis. The fact that they always bring it up, it's like why? To invalidate our womanhood is more than likely. Harping on that does nothing but give ammunition to terfs and transphobes and it comes from a bad place. Like okay, we didn't say we are ciswomen, we are women. End of. 

Edited by *.Digambar.*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.