Janet's night at Essence Festival one of the highest grossing EVER, unlike Nicki's

Stankonia

Janet Jackson filled the Superdome with her 2022 Essence Festival hit-parade showcase

FWuGa9iWAAACtps?format=jpg&name=900x900

Never underestimate the drawing power of Janet Jackson on a Saturday night.

On her third trip to the Essence Festival of Culture, Jackson packed the Caesars Superdome. Featuring a headliner with Jackson’s enduring appeal on what is typically a festival’s most popular night reportedly resulted in one of the highest grosses in Essence Fest's entire 27-year history.

Unlike the more modestly attended Friday show topped by Nicki Minaj, just about every one of the 48,500 available tickets was sold Saturday. It was further proof that Essence is fully restored following two summers of being virtual-only due to the coronavirus pandemic.

62c1f667be601.image.jpg?resize=990,743

Thousands of 2022 Essence Festival of Culture attendees light up their cell phones in the Caesars Superdome at the request of entertainer Doug E. Fresh, who was killing time on the main stage before Janet Jackson's performance, on Saturday, July 2, 2022.

Just after midnight, it was star time. Jackson was sheathed in a glittering, form-fitting fabric that radiated light like an especially brilliant constellation. It made more of a statement than "Feedback," the 15-year-old single she chose as an opening number.

But Jackson soon made clear that, at 56, she’s still more than capable of recapturing the crisp choreography of her youth. She matched her four male dancers step for step.

She dialed up a trio of classic workouts in quick succession — “What Have You Done For Me Lately,” “Control” and “Nasty” — before the breezy “That’s the Way Love Goes.” Needing to catch her breath, she sat on a stool for "Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)." As she teased out the erotic "I Get Lonely," she got handsy with a couple of her dancers.

During her 2010 Essence performance, she memorialized her late brother Michael, who had died the previous year, with "Together Again." When she returned to Essence in 2018, she dedicated the same song to her father, who had died days earlier. This year, she didn’t need to memorialize anyone. Thus, she could present “Together Again” strictly on its own merits.

Overall, there was a lightness to Jackson’s performance that was lacking in 2018 and at the local stop of her “Unbreakable” tour in 2015. That lightness was especially apparent in the second act of Saturday’s show, after she’d changed into more casual streetwear.

Her hardworking drummer eased back for “Miss You Much.” In “Don’t Stand Another Chance,” the airiness in Jackson’s voice nearly caused it to float away; the song’s bass line kept the arrangement anchored and in the grove.

Jackson’s music is not built for improvisation, so there were no surprise guests on Saturday. But she was pleasant and personable and seemed to be enjoying one of the few performances she has booked this year.

Her effervescence was especially apparent on “Escapade." Urging on the audience, she quipped, "I came from London, y'all," a reference to her current hometown. "Escapade" dove headlong into the brawny guitar riff of “Black Cat.” Following an extended guitar solo — the most work her guitarist got all night — she said a quick goodnight.

She returned for her signature “Rhythm Nation,” which came across like funk from the future even though it’s now, shockingly, 33 years old.

The song, like Jackson, still delivers.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/festivals/article_36b95bea-fb08-11ec-a9db-6f46e247a34d.html

nicki-minaj-essence-fest.jpg

"The Superdome was nowhere close to full on opening night. Seating capacity for Essence is approximately 48,500, but many of the upper-level terrace seats, as well many seats on the sides of middle-level loge, were empty."

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/festivals/article_51608d48-fa2b-11ec-9379-03cd0216d5a2.html

b4brQ0W.gif

Thinking Of You

Because she’s Janet Jackson. She’s a literal legend. White ATRL always claims that she’s forgotten. Forgotten by whom? White Gen-Z, as if they are the be all - end all?

She’s royalty in the Black community and this just proves it.

I don't think you needed to do all that but...

It was interesting to see a few girls try it with "oh she did that routine 30 years ago" (which just proves they didn't watch anyway) as if there's more than exactly TWO pop girls left who can still headline and even have a routine that existed 30 years ago.

The way Hulu said NO to streaming Nicki. A flop all around lmao. :ahh: 

8 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

Because she’s Janet Jackson. She’s a literal legend. White ATRL always claims that she’s forgotten. Forgotten by whom? White Gen-Z, as if they are the be all - end all?

She’s royalty in the Black community and this just proves it.

:cm:

no one wanted to see nicki huff and puff and blow around a stage 

And they doubt her power 

The aunties aint wanna see Nicki I guess 

A legend, one of the best performers to ever do it. I am not surprised :nicole:

No shade, but she serves PERFORMANCES!

She is one to Watch.

One of the best, most iconic performers of all time having a more packed audience for a live performance? omg v Shocking!!!! 

Janet is an iconic performer that will leave a legacy. The one that supports/bails out/marries/collaborates with rapists is nothing of the sort. 

J937QDS.gif

that legendary mother, damita:hippo:

11 minutes ago, Champagne said:

The one that supports/bails out/marries/collaborates with rapists is nothing of the sort. 

J937QDS.gif

As a Janet fan, I’m sorry to be the one to break it you love.

michael-jackson-janet-jackson.gif

Comparing janet to mrs petty

i-

we-

:biblio:

22 minutes ago, FOCK said:

As a Janet fan, I’m sorry to be the one to break it you love.

michael-jackson-janet-jackson.gif

Michael was never proven guilty and that is her brother.  Of course she was going to support him with all the lies.

26 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

Michael was never proven guilty and that is her brother.  Of course she was going to support him with all the lies.

As did Nicki, when she "allegedly" provided funds to her mother to bail her brother out, before he was actually convicted of anything. She hasn't spoken of him since. 

Zoo was 16 when he was charged for attempted R (for which he couldn't afford legal representation, unlike MJ who could afford the best). Michael had numerous accounts of questionable behaviour, including child endangerment - as an adult. I don't think a lack of conviction changes the reality. The system is designed to favour the rich, guilty or not. 

This doesn’t even take into account Latoya’s suggestions that her father was sexually abusive, that the entire family swept under the rug & vilified her for.

Not saying that to hold it against Janet or anyone. Reckoning with the idea that a family member can do something horrible is... complicated, to say the least. Though in Nicki’s case, she chose him (:skull:), Janet didn’t choose her family. 

Edited by FOCK

23 minutes ago, FOCK said:

As did Nicki, when she "allegedly" provided funds to her mother to bail her brother out, before he was actually convicted of anything. She hasn't spoken of him since. 

Zoo was 16 when he was charged for attempted R (for which he couldn't afford legal representation, unlike MJ who could afford the best). Michael had numerous accounts of questionable behaviour, including child endangerment - as an adult. I don't think a lack of conviction changes the reality. The system is designed to favour the rich, guilty or not. 

This doesn’t even take into account Latoya’s suggestions that her father was sexually abusive, that the entire family swept under the rug & vilified her for.

Not saying that to hold it against Janet or anyone. Reckoning with the idea that a family member can do something horrible is... complicated, to say the least. Though in Nicki’s case, she chose him (:skull:), Janet didn’t choose her family. 

Nicki brother was found guilty but honestly i dont blame Nicki I wouldnt just believe my sibling did that without proof. I would have bailed my brother out. But once i found out it true he cut off

As far as her husband she knew so she sipports that and is WRONG

1 hour ago, Armani? said:

The aunties aint wanna see Nicki I guess 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.