Is the anime industry over?

bocelli

The whole genre was at its peak during the 00's and early 10's, everyone was into it, even people who were not big on the genre have watched Attack on Titan, Death Note or Naruto. I feel like in the past few years the genre has lost a lot of hype and new anime shows arent as big as they used to be?? Even monsters like One Piece and Case Closed have fallen off. Are we past the golden age of anime and manga?

fbgwpsO.gif

Edited by bocelli

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ProudLBS

• bocelli

• Katamari

• Gorjesspazze9

One Piece is more popular than ever in the west :rip:

anime was at its mainstream popularity in the late 90s - early 2000s.

Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Yugioh. these weren't just popular 'anime' shows. they were massive shows period. these are shows even parents knew. Parents dont know Attack on Titan or Narwho?to or Death Note

Edited by Pikachoo

aad2f1decb7e97ea9236468c32cb172f.png

doesn't seem like it fbgwpsO.gif

Demon Slayer was HUGE, and it was pretty recent.

Edited by awong918

We recently just had a huge anime movie :rip:

it was the biggest movie for animes overall,Japan and 2020 as a year

It ain't going anywhere

especially in this day and age, where it's a weeaboo heaven

10 minutes ago, ProudLBS said:

One Piece is more popular than ever in the west :rip:

Where

1 minute ago, bocelli said:

Where

The US, France, Italy, Germany, everywhere :rip: the pandemic gave it a huge boost

Just now, ProudLBS said:

The US, France, Italy, Germany, everywhere :rip: the pandemic gave it a huge boost

The manga doesnt sell as well as years before

1 minute ago, bocelli said:

Where

cb697685d3dfeafa3bdae1a09bfb296a.png

Got bored and dropped it a few years ago during Wano arc, but it looks like it's worth picking up again. 

My personal anecdotal experience is that anime and manga have totally exploded these last decade or so in the West, going from a sort of niche genre associated with nerds and weebs to a totally legit thing even for cool kids to like. Totally climbed to the mainstream.

I don’t know any objective data about it tho, so

Anime is way bigger then it’s ever been. :rip:Like Way bigger. It use to be a niche genre in the west in the 2000’s. Even when it started blowing up with the Big 3 and toonami, it wasn’t mainstream until the early 2010’s when sword art and attack on titan exploded. Now anime is way more accepted and known then even then.  

Every comic con has huge anime stars and My Hero Academia is huge 

nope its getting bigger 

weebs however are OVER 

fbgwpsO.gif

The OP is clearly clueless. :skull: 

Isn't it bigger than ever now? :rip:

Edited by thatsmydemi

1 minute ago, thatsmydemi said:

Isn't it bigger than ever now? :rip:

How is it bigger than during Dragonball/Sailor Moon/Pokemon/Digimon??

Demon Slayer was literally the highest grossing movie of 2020 & the last season was one of the most hyped & watched all over :rip:

Y’all really have some of the dumbest takes of any human being on planet earth LMFAO

fbgwpsO.gif

I don't know if this is a global thing but here in my town Miyazaki's movie are at the cinema for the next months, just got home from Spirited Away and there were quite many people (I would say around 100) for a monday night show, I was super impressed! And you could tell they were all stans of the genre.

36 minutes ago, bocelli said:

The manga doesnt sell as well as years before

Volume 100 beat several records in France, Germany, Italy…

And about Japan…

One Piece is 25 years into its lifecycle. It costs north of $350 just to catch up. Meanwhile you can buy all of Demon Slayer for $80. One Piece’s backlogs should recover once the series ends.

By this point only the hardcore fans buy the new volumes. Plus One Piece only releases 3 volumes per year now, while most other series release 4. 

(The anime being borderline unwatchable also doesn’t do it any favors)

35 minutes ago, awong918 said:

Got bored and dropped it a few years ago during Wano arc, but it looks like it's worth picking up again. 

One Piece is my favorite thing in the world but I honestly recommend waiting until an arc is done before reading it.

Edited by ProudLBS

Yeah, I think most of the Westerners who used to be invested in anime and made it popular moved on to different things. It's quite embarrassing for a grown adult or even a teenager to say they enjoy anime nowadays due to the negative connotations the name carries.

2 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

No lol it was bigger when it first became mainstream, now there’s just a lot more kids 

There are actually a lot less kids to consume because gen z has less people over all then gen y.

The difference is anime is easier to stream. Gundam wing/sees, Sailor Moon, Hack Twilight, and Dragon Ball may have brought the west in, but Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach solidified Anime in the west. With Hunter X Hunters revival, Death Note, MHA, and Demon Slayer, reviving anime for a new generation. Add in the fact everything is streamable, and you have Anime being bigger than it was back in the day.

Some of y'all are delusional as hell.

No anime was bigger now and it just diversified to the point anime doesn't have to be exclusively made by Japanese and came from Japan.

12 minutes ago, bocelli said:

How is it bigger than during Dragonball/Sailor Moon/Pokemon/Digimon??

everything seemed bigger back then cause everyone watched the same shows :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.