Olivia Rodrigo covers Natalie Imbruglia's Torn

Luckitty

at a bar in manchester :-*

Edited by Luckitty

Fun fact: Torn is a cover of “Brændt”, originally written and sung in my language by Lis Sørensen. I heard her play it live last month:clap3:

Beautiful vocals :gaycat6:

The lorde print again. 

she better get in the studio and record a proper version!

2 hours ago, Arrows said:

Fun fact: Torn is a cover of “Brændt”, originally written and sung in my language by Lis Sørensen. I heard her play it live last month:clap3:

False. "Torn" was actually written in English first in 1993 by Ednaswap, but was never recorded by them until 1995:

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

False. "Torn" was actually written in English first in 1993 by Ednaswap, but was never recorded by them until 1995:

Oh. So released originally in Danish then, my bad

7 hours ago, Arrows said:

5 hours ago, Inverted said:

wait how did a cover get released before the original :deadbanana4: how did a danish singer find an unreleased english song

Edited by Luckitty

She's a good singer and love the dark tone in her voice but I wish she could work more on her vocals. Her control is kinda weak, she strains and sometimes struggles to hit the right notes. Her studio recording vocals are amazing however. I remember I was mesmerized by her vocals the first time I heard Driver's License. 

Edited by Jude

On 7/4/2022 at 7:44 PM, Luckitty said:

wait how did a cover get released before the original :deadbanana4: how did a danish singer find an unreleased english song

It was shopped to other artists. That's how most songs end up in getting recorded unless you write all your own original material without any co-writers. 

57 minutes ago, Inverted said:

It was shopped to other artists. That's how most songs end up in getting recorded unless you write all your own original material without any co-writers. 

interesting, I didn't know they shop songs to artists in other countries

I just searched and found out that the ednaswap members wrote and produced many hits for other artists, it's one of those cases of songwriters writing a lot of hits for others but not being able to score hits with their own releases 

3 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

interesting, I didn't know they shop songs to artists in other countries

I just searched and found out that the ednaswap members wrote and produced many hits for other artists, it's one of those cases of songwriters writing a lot of hits for others but not being able to score hits with their own releases 

They would shop it to labels, not necessarily specific artists (although they could push for a specific artist like "Waiting for Tonight" was specifically shopped to producer Cory Rooney to be re-recorded by Jennifer Lopez's debut album 

and it was eventually accepted even though she hated the original Eurodance version). Lis Sorensen was on a Warner music label and her team would have access to songs in the vault.

And a lot of songs written by artists who don't write original songs alone use demos/melodies/lyrics that are available to their label. Often little changes are made, but when they're rewritten and reproduced, more people are credited (or should be). 

As for Anne Preven and Ednaswap, I highly doubt they were ever interested in being pop stars or participating in the machine involved. Natalie Imbruglia was an actress manufactured into a pop singer. Labels are businesses. They sell whatever sound and look the GP will connect to and like. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.