Did “One Night Only” killed the Hype of “30”?

tonyle1911

To me, I think it did. 

I was so excited for the Era when all the billboards hinted 30 was coming. Then, even people said EOM was plain boring, I love the song and it was my most listened on Spotify 2021. But then, as much as I expected to see One night only, the songs on 30 performed that night really decreased the hype for the album to me. I don’t think Hold on, I drink wine are the songs that you love after first listen, I love IDW now, but I kinda felt it was a bit boring when I heard it on ONO. 

Especially, the songs on 30 were performed next to her old & more appealing songs on 21&25. It made me have the feeling 30 won’t be on the level of her older eras. And it actually was… imo. 

I love Adele and there are still songs I love on 30, but I think if they aired ONO the same week 30 came out, it should have levitated the songs there more, because at least we had enough time to consume the songs. The show was air few days before 30, and really killed the hype for me. And then, we all know, almost no more promotion at all for 30 when we started to like it more.

thoughts?

30 had no more/less interest than any other album released by an established act in the past year or so. There were bigger expectations because of how much her other albums sold but the industry has completely changed. I just don't think anyone knew how much it had changed (not even her label). Adele was never going to be immune to it. No one is at this point. 

Streaming gives albums longevity beyond their first few weeks, post release, and 30 was just not streaming friendly. It was initially carried by strong physical sales (strong for this current market) but no one is going to stream 6 minute ballads over and over. That's what hurt it's hype.

The title One Night Only is kinda funny now given how Vegas turned out

3 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

:deadbanana2:

I think EOM killed the era more than anything. It was a classic Adele song that was so accessible and easy listening and everyone loved it. And then nothing on the album is remotely close to it in terms of easy listening or accessibility. Most other songs are not classic Adele, despite people calling the album 21.3. So perhaps people were going in into the album expecting a similar sound and getting something completely different. Maybe a different lead single would have prepared people better for the sound of the album. 

5 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

I- :skull:

It’s her performing to an elite crowd is what initially turned me off to the era.

30 being even more boring than 25 is what killed the era. You can get away with that sh** once…def not 2 x in a row. 

I read "One Night Only" and "30" fully knowing this was an Adele topic but still ran in here expecting the Jennifer Hudson song. Lemme take a nap I'm still drunk :gaycat6:

• ATRL Moderator
33 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

:bibliahh:

47 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

screaming :rip:

42 minutes ago, Tusk said:

It’s her performing to an elite crowd is what initially turned me off to the era.

This… it killed her whole relatable girl persona.

QueenofCopyPaste

No. It didnt

QueenofCopyPaste
16 minutes ago, MotoPapi said:

This… it killed her whole relatable girl persona.

She's still humble.

1 hour ago, Tylerbv said:

:deadvision:

1 hour ago, Tylerbv said:

:ahh:

No, streaming killed 30/Adele. How many times is this going to be discussed? 

I will say that I did not like the roll out for 30. I thought the 30s in different cities and countries were stupid. Girl, just send a tweet—This ain’t 2008! If anything One Night Only shattered the perception that she’s an ordinary, down-to-earth girl by having a plethora of celebrities there. It felt more like a ritual (energy harvesting) get together than a concert. It was weird to see people from Leo DiCaprio to Drake at a concert for Adele. I think that put people off a little because we always saw Adele as the anti-celeb. 

I don’t think there’s anything that could have saved the era - releasing a more experimental single, avoiding One Night Only, releasing a couple years earlier, etc. Adele’s unprecedented success is just not sustainable for anyone. I think of 21/25 as her Thriller/Bad, and 30 as her Dangerous — still a success, still a big part of her legacy, but simply no artist can sustain such a dramatic level of world domination for more than a few album cycles. Eventually, a good chunk of people will move on. In that sense, I consider 30 a huge success regardless. 

And maybe a little off-topic, but I’m kind of surprised that so many people view 30 as average in quality. I Drink Wine, To Be Loved, and Love is a Game all sound like huge monster classics to me and alone are enough for me to consider 30 her best album. Critics felt the same at the time of release, so I’m surprised it hasn’t aged that well in retrospect! 

2 hours ago, Tylerbv said:

MOVE . 

mlaredoperez

No... her weak 30 album is to blame. Only 1 hit, no classic sounding songs , weak melodies... and messy short lived promo.

2 hours ago, Tusk said:

This

2 hours ago, Tylerbv said:

discussion] GIFs you miss seeing on ATRL? - Page 2 - The Lounge - ATRL

• ATRL Moderator

I don't think the concert had an impact on anything.

Easy On Me overshadowed 30 just like Hello overshadowed 25.  But, unlike 25, there wasn't any other tracks on 30 that could bring interest back to the album.  All of the best 30 tracks are like 6+ minutes while the weaker tracks were the short ones attempting to appeal to the GP.

And then of course Vegas brought any remaining era momentum to a stop.  

2 hours ago, dman4life said:

but still ran in here expecting the Jennifer Hudson song

Taste 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.