Adele opens up about postponing her Vegas residency

Nefertiti0

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Bey Admired said:

I am utterly incredulous at the level of English comprehension in here :doc:

I know English is a second language to many of you. However, for those of you with English as your first language, I am going to need you to read slowly and make a brave attempt at reading between the lines. I understand that not everyone is an English major, but that does not excuse you from not having a fundamental grasp of  English reading comprehension. 

When she says "…you can’t buy me for nothing", she is very clearly talking about TPTB pertaining to her Vegas concerts. She is not going to go ahead with a show if it is not ready because her fans have spent so much money on tickets, not in spite of it. Do you understand the difference? I do not think some of you do.

It is called having artistic integrity and a basic level of respect for your fans. 

Quite frankly, I am appalled by the ostensible lack of intelligence in this thread. 

this is so condescending :laugh:

everyone can fully comprehend what she’s saying, we’re not lacking intelligence for pointing out the lack of regard she has for her fans 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abrahamjmr

• Bey Admired

• More Than A Melody

• QueenofCopyPaste

9 minutes ago, wehavetostan said:

this is so condescending :laugh:

everyone can fully comprehend what she’s saying, we’re not lacking intelligence for pointing out the lack of regard she has for her fans 

Clearly, they cannot. 

Who would’ve thought the Vegas thing was gonna be what ruined the era. At this point, she should just avoid questions about it and work to get the dates set.

I mean this is the same woman who stops award shows just redo the performance on live TV. The unprofessionalism and passes she gets. :skull: 

I think there’s entitlement on both sides. She’s right in that she is her own person and can’t be forced to do something that she doesn’t believe in, of course she could’ve made that decision much earlier than she did and while I respect her perspective she should probably not share it right now, especially without acknowledging the people she cancelled on. 

However I agree. Fans can be very entitled to entertainers, and it’s quite gross how they don’t see them as human beings who might be exhausted, unwell, overwhelmed or overworked. They are not workhorses and we need to stop treating them like it. If the show sucked ya’ll would be dragging it on social media immediately in the current climate so I don’t blame her. 

I understand her pov.mp3, but she also comes off as gloating and lowkey selfish... She should try being a normal person, she needs to be humbled sometimes...

45 minutes ago, Patient Zero said:

She doesn't care about the money

She doesn't seem motivated

Just retire.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea. End your career on a good note. From the poor album rollout to laziness to promote to cancellation of tours, we can deduce that music isn't Adele's priority anymore.

I can tell she wants to focus on family life and her kids and having a peaceful life free from media. Her forcing herself to do this makes her make unwise decisionS. By retiring, she wouldn't have to deal with "disappointing" others since all her choices during 30 era is all about her, i.e. "I don't wanna do what I don't feel like doing" anyway  ...

2 hours ago, Bey Admired said:

I am utterly incredulous at the level of English comprehension in here :doc:

I know English is a second language to many of you. However, for those of you with English as your first language, I am going to need you to read slowly and make a brave attempt at reading between the lines. I understand that not everyone is an English major, but that does not excuse you from not having a fundamental grasp of  English reading comprehension. 

When she says "…you can’t buy me for nothing", she is very clearly talking about TPTB pertaining to her Vegas concerts. She is not going to go ahead with a show if it is not ready because her fans have spent so much money on tickets, not in spite of it. Do you understand the difference? I do not think some of you do.

It is called having artistic integrity and a basic level of respect for your fans. 

Quite frankly, I am appalled by the ostensible lack of intelligence in this thread. 

For how condescending this post is, you'd expect to at least address the fact that you're LITERALLY INTERPRETING HER WORDS. Because that is NOT what she said. If you have to read between the lines and interpret things, it's not an issue of reading comprehension on the part of the receiver, it's an issue of expression on the part of the speaker.

If what she wanted to say was what you said, then she should've said what you said. Instead she was very vague, still hasn't addressed the real issue the shows were canceled, because it was not COVID and she didn't find out she wasn't ready 24 hours before going on stage. She has not addressed why it hasn't been rescheduled yet, she doesn't even have a tentative date and it's JULY.

And the whole "you're all haters" miss me with that BS because I've personally defended  her multiple times. And "if you didn't get tickets you don't get to be upset" is also BS. It's called commiseration, which Adele seems to be severely lacking of.

I know what it's like to be desperate to see my favorite artist live and if I was jerked around like this I'd be fuming, regardless of whether I asked for a refund or not. I may still want to see the show, or think "well it's a once in a lifetime thing, and if it does happen it'll be epic" and figure that if it's gonna be officially canceled I'll be refunded anyway. That wouldn't mean I wouldn't still be mad.

2 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

For how condescending this post is, you'd expect to at least address the fact that you're LITERALLY INTERPRETING HER WORDS. Because that is NOT what she said. If you have to read between the lines and interpret things, it's not an issue of reading comprehension on the part of the receiver, it's an issue of expression on the part of the speaker.

If what she wanted to say was what you said, then she should've said what you said. Instead she was very vague, still hasn't addressed the real issue the shows were canceled, because it was not COVID and she didn't find out she wasn't ready 24 hours before going on stage. She has not addressed why it hasn't been rescheduled yet, she doesn't even have a tentative date and it's JULY.

And the whole "you're all haters" miss me with that BS because I've personally defended  her multiple times. And "if you didn't get tickets you don't get to be upset" is also BS. It's called commiseration, which Adele seems to be severely lacking of.

I know what it's like to be desperate to see my favorite artist live and if I was jerked around like this I'd be fuming, regardless of whether I asked for a refund or not. I may still want to see the show, or think "well it's a once in a lifetime thing, and if it does happen it'll be epic" and figure that if it's gonna be officially canceled I'll be refunded anyway. That wouldn't mean I wouldn't still be mad.

You ate that. 

Her fans are not even "fuming" or "mad". The only people "fuming" and "mad" about this are random ATRLers :nicole:

What kind of BS is this.

Her not caring about her own fans losing so much money is honestly disappointing. No one knows what actually happened behind the scenes, but at least show some remorse for the people who are not millionaires and yet spent a lot of money on your show for you to cancel it the day before. Especially when you didn't treat your rich friends the same way. 

Edited by Misguided Ghost

If her dates at the Coliseum from October to December her base kept insisting she'll follow through on don't work either, ooph. :rip: 

I'd be fine with everything said here if not for the revisionist history. Also piggybacking on the entire @More Than A Melody post here.

She omitted information in her explanation and still has as to the postponement. Covid played a part but wasn't the total explanation.

I don't know if it's pride that's factoring into avoiding discussing the ****ing fountain, maybe, but for a woman whose brand has been about being "real" this has just been a disaster. 

Also not a fan of the tone deaf replies here. This is about much more than a ****ing flight for some rich fans but the workers in the unions that have lost wages. This is literally people's livelihoods and she didn't bother picking her words carefully here which sounds like she doesn't care. Wake up. 

2 hours ago, Bey Admired said:

Her fans are not even "fuming" or "mad". The only people "fuming" and "mad" about this are random ATRLers :nicole:

Honey Adele does not have a fanbase. Her fanbase is the GP. All of us who listen to her music without being stans. This whole thing has left a sour taste in the mouth of a lot of people who used to support her, even if they weren't hardcore fans. ATRL usually fumes about artists when irl the GP still supports them at large, that's not the case with Adele at all. She'll always have supporters, but she lost her untouchable image and is now more negatively perceived by more people. You have to be blind to not see that.

She should’ve just not say anything cuz :biblio: 

trash response. No sympathy for the fans who bought tickets, flights and hotels. ***** you’re rich… your fans are not. 

32 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Honey Adele does not have a fanbase. Her fanbase is the GP. All of us who listen to her music without being stans. This whole thing has left a sour taste in the mouth of a lot of people who used to support her, even if they weren't hardcore fans. ATRL usually fumes about artists when irl the GP still supports them at large, that's not the case with Adele at all. She'll always have supporters, but she lost her untouchable image and is now more negatively perceived by more people. You have to be blind to not see that.

She does have a fanbase though. Do you know what a fanbase is? 

3 hours ago, Bey Admired said:

This is what's way worse. Only bitter haters are complaining about refunds and stuff as if they got tickets to see her in Vegas when people that actually did are asking her to announce the new dates so they can finally see her. People got it was due to COVID and whatever happened behind the scenes and are simply expecting her to say what new dates are, but then you would see people from other bases in here and on Twitter crying about refunds - as if they were not available and have been for months, and claiming she's not very professional because it's taken her months to come up with the new dates. The funny thing is some even say Vegas was canceled or has been canceled twice. :laugh:

There's no need to argue what haters have to say about Adele, it's clear the general public don't care.

50 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Adele DOES have a fan base, and it is big enough to have 1.3M people wanting to get tickets to see her in London. 

13 hours ago, Dr.Cake said:

How much does it take to put a show like hers together anyway? :deadbanana:

Nauur :skull: 

53 minutes ago, abrahamjmr said:

Adele DOES have a fan base, and it is big enough to have 1.3M people wanting to get tickets to see her in London. 

Adele is one of the most GP artists in the world. Adele Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran are the DEFINITION of GP artists. Me being part of the GP (used to be for Ed, not anymore). Of course she has fans. Every mild celebrity has fans. She does not have an actual dedicated online fanbase.

She could sell 10M tickets in London and I'd still say the same. I'm not sure how this is something that has to be explained to you...

So what is  the plan??! stand  and sing with her voice that's fading, songs that are flopping  ?  

You heard  it here first. The female J balvin  2.0

Edited by manwhore

Disappointing. :gaycat6: 

Adele makes it sound like she’s some visionary when it comes to her concerts. People would have been happy just to see her perform on an empty stage. 

I think she was just looking for an easy way to cancel the residency, because she dislikes touring. 

However, Adele explained, “You can’t buy me, you can’t buy me for nothing. I’m not going to just do a show because I have to or because people are going to be let down or because we’re going to lose loads of money. I’m like, ‘The show’s not good enough.’”

She probably said that about Vegas still wanting her to do the shows even though she thought they weren't good enough but Adele, sweetie, you seem to forget about those who paid to see you...

Once again, her explanation is weird and vague.

Gosh, that's why I want her to forget about Vegas and announce a WW tour.

Are people that obtuse not to understand she did this because 30 flopped and fans were harassing her about it? Imagine the amount of hate she got when people expected her to come with another career defining masterpiece and they got 30? 

She doesn’t owe anyone anything, if she doesn’t want to do this she doesn’t have to. She already proved her talents time and time again. No wonder other legendary female artists like Celine Dion and Shania Twain disappeared, the pressure is just too much when the bar is astronomically high. 

Edited by Mr.Link

I thought she was gonna give a heartfelt insightful statement. This is a shell of a statement. 

I said it from the beginning and I'll say it again. Vegas wasn't a good idea to begin with, she's way too popular for Vegas. She can easily do stadiums in certain city or a 15-night arena residency in a city and call it a day if she finds touring lazy. :michael:  

If she doesn't want to tour this album, then just say that. :rip:  Cancel Vegas and give everybody's money back. Someone I follow on TT spent like thousands on this.

Edited by Mellark

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.