• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trash

• tonyle1911

• Power love

• Breathe On Moi

Top Posters In This Topic

I am screaming at people grasping at straws to pretend this song wasn’t ******* iconic. Literally almost everyone knows the chorus. 

Why has this song from two decades ago got you so worked up? Britney herself cares less about this than you do.

Looking Back Britney Spears GIF

1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

The song didn’t have a proper physical/retail (CD, Cassette, Maxi-Single) release in the United States.

The week ”O,IDIA” at #9 on the Hot 100, it had been on the charts for 7 weeks at the hands of just airplay, mostly from Pop radio. It climbed #12 - #9 in its 8th week on the chart following a 12-inch vinyl release, selling 7K units.

12-inch vinyl configurations were very popular in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, albeit the amounts sold were very small due to their limited distribution. This release method was moreso used as a commercial tactic by record labels to have songs have relatively higher peaks on the Hot 100 without succumbing to a full physical release in hopes drawing attention to the album instead.

As a matter of fact, several of the “airplay-only” #1’s in 2000/2001 had 12-inch vinyl releases; Lady Marmalade and Independent Women, for example. The only one that didn’t was Aaliyah‘s “Try Again” which actually had 0 sales when it topped the charts. 

Wow! Don’t know why they didn’t put out the physical singles, maybe they tried to push for the album sales instead. Personally, I preferred this song and its MV than BOMT, if this has had been her debut single, this would still make her one of the most iconic pop stars. Imagine Oops is out in the streaming era, it will surely tops the charts for weeks. 

1 hour ago, besaid said:

Because like most of her songs around that time, it placed at the bottom of the radio call-outs.

That's not a "radio ban" it's just disliked by the listeners.

40 minutes ago, Rican said:

Because of the fan fiction radio ban when the fact is that Oops was and is a non event. :gaycat2:

There's proof about it posted before your two comments, haters.

Because it was a flop. :michael:

Are there actually ppl who believe this song was a non-event

:ryan2:

1 minute ago, confide in me said:

Are there actually ppl who believe this song was a non-event

:ryan2:

No, that's just the OBHs being their usual r-slurred selves.

I was not easy for Pop Females during ealy 2000s  the way that Britney Oops did not hit #1 still shooking anyway 20 years later proving being a bigger hit than most of #1s from 2000

3 hours ago, abrahamjmr said:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-feb-25-fi-clear25-story.html#:~:text=Howard L.,company as their tour promoter.

Here's the proof you all always ask for, I always post and whenever this subject is discussed, y'all go back to the narrative that we are all making it up.

I hope it is enough for you, since it's coming from a publication like LA Times.

More

Citing press reports and "first-hand accounts by affected recording artists and copyright owners," Berman explains that Clear Channel stands accused of "punishing" artists for refusing to use its concert promotion arm, Clear Channel Entertainment (the former SFX). Such artists who have incurred Clear Channel's wrath, including Britney Spears, have had ads for their concerts "buried" and their songs kept off the company's stations, Berman says, noting that "the consolidation of the radio industry also lends growing support to persistent allegations that record companies often must pay radio stations to play the music of their artists." Philip Anschutz's Concerts West scored the Spears tour business last August.

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=276122&title+CLEAR-CHANNEL-ON-CONGRESSIONAL-RADAR

Like the others said. Oops didn't get a physical release.

43 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

I was not easy for Pop Females during ealy 2000s  the way that Britney Oops did not hit #1 still shooking anyway 20 years later proving being a bigger hit than most of #1s from 2000

That’s my point. It’s still iconic than a lot of #1s. Not just 2000

This was actually one of the more shocking discoveries I later came across regarding peaks. I remember thinking it was the biggest song of the year when it came out (I was still so very young, but still). In my mind it was bigger than BOMT even. It was just everywhere. Granted, there was a lot going on then (an amazing year for music overall), but yea.. it started to make sense once I looked at all that was actually going on between *NSYNC, DC, U2, Aaliyah, Alicia Keys etc

Edited by BGKC

It performed poorly because the initial craze about her in 1999 was wearing out fast. Radio didn't "ban" it, radio just didn't play it for the same reason they don't play her singles now.

26 minutes ago, besaid said:

It performed poorly because the initial craze about her in 1999 was wearing out fast. Radio didn't "ban" it, radio just didn't play it for the same reason they don't play her singles now.

It was 1 on Pop Radio and that's the reason it actually charted in the top 10. Btw Britney is in the top 10 of pop songs artist of all time.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-of-all-time-pop-songs-artists/

The radio ban started with the Britney era and ended around Toxic.

how did people even consume music around that time:bibliahh: im a early 2000s liddo so could someone explain it to me? was it just radioplay and vinyl singles or did digital downloads already exist? 

OT: i think it could be because people bought the album in such big masses, maybe they didnt find it necessary to put attention to its singles anymore? 

Who cares? It's an iconic successful song..#1 position doesn't matter 

GoodGuy perfectly summed up why. No physical release + being blacklisted on radios affected many of her songs' performance on the Hot 100

6 hours ago, tonyle1911 said:

I’m from non-English speaking country, so I didn’t know anything about these kind of charts till 2007. What made me surprised the most was that Oops I did it again- a undeniably huge smash on a global scale, it was played everywhere in my country, especially when you visited the electronics stores, they played the MV on the TVs all the time. Oops the Album also sold 1.3 millions first weeks in US only, so why the song never hit No.1 on BBH100 or at least No.5 despite its popularity and impact? 

Well, they couldn’t have it both ways. The 1.3 million debut for the album was only made possible by the single not having a physical CD single.

Back then, physical single sales were thought to cannibalize album sales, which is why labels stopped releasing physical singles. 

Oops I Did It Again didn’t do that well in airplay anyway and only peaked at like #8 on Hot 100 Airplay though so there’s no guarantee that a CD single would have boosted it to #1. If anything they would have lost out on both the #1 and the 1.3 million opening if there was a CD single 

6 hours ago, Power love said:

Why do i keep hearing it was made up or not as serious as they make it out to be? 

There was actually a thread made by a member named iHype debunking the radio ban claim with receipts, but it’s gone now :rip: 

6 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

The song didn’t have a proper physical/retail (CD, Cassette, Maxi-Single) release in the United States.

The week ”O,IDIA” at #9 on the Hot 100, it had been on the charts for 7 weeks at the hands of just airplay, mostly from Pop radio. It climbed #12 - #9 in its 8th week on the chart following a 12-inch vinyl release, selling 7K units.

12-inch vinyl configurations were very popular in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, albeit the amounts sold were very small due to their limited distribution. This release method was moreso used as a commercial tactic by record labels to have songs have relatively higher peaks on the Hot 100 without succumbing to a full physical release in hopes drawing attention to the album instead.

As a matter of fact, several of the “airplay-only” #1’s in 2000/2001 had 12-inch vinyl releases; Lady Marmalade and Independent Women, for example. The only one that didn’t was Aaliyah‘s “Try Again” which actually had 0 sales when it topped the charts. 

OT: Anyways, the song not reaching to the top of the chart hasn't mattered for a very long time. If you would ask any member of the GP, they would genuinely think it was a #1 song at it's peak, which basically says everything :michael: Not to mention the fact that the song stayed at #1 in the Worldwide Singles chart for over 6-8 weeks (nearly 2 months)! 22 years down the lane, the song is still incredibly iconic and remembered.

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

how did people even consume music around that time:bibliahh: im a early 2000s liddo so could someone explain it to me? was it just radioplay and vinyl singles or did digital downloads already exist? 

OT: i think it could be because people bought the album in such big masses, maybe they didnt find it necessary to put attention to its singles anymore? 

Well. most people downloaded back then.....but not legally :rip: They used a service called Napster to get music for free :bird:

In 2000, people still used CD singles, but by the end of 2001 they were pretty much gone.

4 hours ago, Rican said:

Because of the fan fiction radio ban when the fact is that Oops was and is a non event. :gaycat2:

:ahh:

7 hours ago, naval23 said:

It had no single release. If it even sold 50k the week it was top 10 in airplay, it would've been an automatic #1 because single sales were in the pits. 

couldn't they make a limited edition single or something..

anyways, in the end it doesn't matter. only a small group of chart lovers would know this. oops ended up a classic

1 hour ago, brainmaniac said:

There was actually a thread made by a member named iHype debunking the radio ban claim with receipts, but it’s gone now :rip: 

And if u actually read thru it, u would realize that he proved nothing :rip:

Only OBHs who knew nothing about those stuff, voiced support for the thread's claims :skull:

and in this thread we actually see an explanation and proof that artists Were in fact blacklisted :dies: even Your fav Xtina from what I can remember

Radio fraud was Huge in the early 00s

Tommy Mattola was a heavy user of it, JLo frequented it

and pop starlets like Madonna,Xtina and Britney, got stung by it

((I mean..it still may be thriving :toofunny3: https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/features/pay-for-play-radio-texts-1067691/ ))

4 hours ago, besaid said:

it went top 10 in airplay, what are you even talking about :rip:

The reason it didn't peak higher is the absence of a physical release. BOMT performed similarly on radio but went #1 because it was actually available as a CD.

Jive opted for one CD single release per era and in Oops case they rather not have a CD single release because it was going top 10 and have people buy the album.

Napster was around for people who didn't want to purchase the album.

15 hours ago, besaid said:

???

I'm not a Britney stan but it's literally one of the most well-known songs in the 2000s even today, and was a hit on Pop Radio.

Edited by Axolotl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.