In Retrospect, Why Have Rihanna and Beyoncé Been Compared?

BOOMBAYAH

Pretty much all women are forced against each other in the music industry. We see it time and time again there’s like a million examples. :michael:

I've never seen anything about this feud outside ATRL

31 minutes ago, Kozy said:

Rihanna herself encouraged it because she knew latching onto a big artist like Beyoncé would benefit her 

Yes, she knew exactly what she was doing 

Mgq6xYD.jpg

You're truly stupid if you think Rihanna was personally responsible for that sticker :rip:

they're the superstar, one-named, black female pop-rnb stars in the industry.

that alone is candy to the media and the public

55 minutes ago, Kozy said:

Rihanna herself encouraged it because she knew latching onto a big artist like Beyoncé would benefit her 

Yes, she knew exactly what she was doing 

Mgq6xYD.jpg

The sticker + feat. Jay Z :bibliahh::bibliahh:

OT: Of course they are very different. If they weren't, they wouldn't have been able to coexist so well. However, the comparisons make sense because they are both mainstream Black female artists with global appeal. Plus the Jay z connection. They will always be compared, but it doesn't matter because they're both legends now 

I mean…when Rihanna first debuted she was aesthetically heavily inspired by Bey.  

But she diverged with GGGB (and further with Rated R) + everything after.  So, it all ended up fine for both in the end.  

I remember that Rihanna and Jay-z were linked, and then 'Ring the Alarm' came out and people thought that it was a response to the cheating rumor which only fed their supposed rivalry.

It's because of that outlandish affair planted by Ri's team lbr. It was on every gossip rag and more and more rumor were piled on that : being thrown down the stairs etc.

They have nothing in common. 

Both are the most popular black, R&B-pop female singers that collab with rappers a lot, and their biggest song is with Jay-Z.

I dont understand to this DAY. if anything rihanna is only similar to akon (vocally)

but its pretty often comparing two WOMEN. I rarely seen it with men even when they are blank copy of each other!!!!

sexism and racism in this case

4 hours ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

Simply put, because they were the top black women of their field and the media loves pitting women against one another 

I agree, but it is so funny to me when people say "the media"...when the basic ATRLer does the exact same thing

4 hours ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

Simply put, because they were the top black women of their field and the media loves pitting women against one another 

10 hours ago, Bears01 said:

You are a perfect example of why the OP was saying it never made sense and that the public who engaged in these comparisons are ignorant. 

You lack comprehensive reading, there was no comparison, Rihanna didnt GAF, she nullified bayonce.

11 hours ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

:clap3:

If I’m being DEADASS? It’s because it was more convenient than admitting that Rihanna took Britney’s place as the pre-eminent pop princess. Especially after the release of Umbrella.  

18 hours ago, RihFenty20 said:

Rihanna's music is also overwhelmingly R&B (albeit not tradition R&B if that's what you're referring to), her singles are mostly of the genres you listed but if you have listened to her albums you'd know that most of the time at least half of her albums were R&B. only LOUD was the closest thing to a pure pop album. 

Did you just call her a wh*re? she has had like 5 relationships. (Chris (x2), Aubrey (x2) Matt Kemp, Hassan and now Rocky). All of her relationships have lasted years. (except Chris the 2nd time). The media linking her to every man she happened to be around doesn't mean she had relations with said people. 

This part always took me out because they've moved the same amount of albums globally. (Rihanna has moved more outside of the USA). Rihanna's issue is her overwhelming single success makes it seem like she doesn't sell albums when she averages 4.5M pure per album 

Basically they both happened to be afro-descended, linked to Jay Z and also happened to be very dominant commercial acts. Of course the comparisons were going to fly. In the same way Beyonce was compared to Aaliyah and Ashanti. And Rihanna was compared to Cassie, Teirra, and Amerie when she first debuted. 

You honestly got all the points you quoted wrong lol 

OT: They're black woman 

22 hours ago, Mystic Boy said:

Who's Bee and Who's Rih here ? jesus christ :bibliahh:

Bey (left), Rih (right)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.