Why was "Seinfeld" such a cultural phenomenon?

Ger

1280px-Seinfeld_logo.svg.png

Often named as one of the greatest TV shows of all-time, after breaking U.S. ratings records and constantly receiving critical acclaim.

Haven't watched it yet, but why was so great and "genius" about it?

Why and how did it become in such a reference in pop culture?

it was honestly a show about nothing, so that's why it was relatable 

Idk. It has funny moments but I never really found it that great. Also Jerry is a horrible actor. I cringe whenever he speaks on the show. The other 3 outshine him so badly 

because of the cast tbh (except for jerry)

the QUEEN OF COMEDY (count her EMMYs) Julia Louis-Dreyfus carried that show on her back. she is SO good in uncomfortable and cringey situations which is basically what the show is; a bunch of friends who get into uncomfortable situations.

it was popular because it was a simple and relatable premise that hadn't been done.

Edited by yonsé

10 minutes ago, Jagger said:

Idk. It has funny moments but I never really found it that great. Also Jerry is a horrible actor. I cringe whenever he speaks on the show. The other 3 outshine him so badly 

its so wild. how the show named after u but everyone else is constantly outshining u

The Parkers deserved this praise it was miles better. 

24 minutes ago, Jagger said:

the ted mosby of the 90s

The show ended before I was born but I really like it and think it’s still relevant. The power :jonny5: Julia Louis-Dreyfus carried the show on her back most of the time though 

it really was groundbreaking. amazing how it managed to avoid all the tropes and cheesiness of all its contemporaries while still managing to fit itself into the aesthetics/beats of a sitcom necessary to get on the air at the time. frasier, which i just started watching, is pretty great too. no other comedies from this era hold up at all. 

There were only a few shows. Seinfeld and Friends are extremely overrated and don’t hold up well. 

Average people who often found themselves in MESS. Very relatable and entertaining to watch. Made my nights during a period in my life when I didn’t have cable :swing:

The writing is very good. Elaine and George are such good characters. Kramer’s alright (kinda too one note and upfront with the comedy relief). Jerry is meh. 

Most of the TV in the 80s was super cheesy and formulaic. It was fresh concept and a bit adult/taboo, which critics liked. It doesn't hold up well in my opinion (I would argue Friends does), but that's why  it stood out.

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

It’s an incredibly soulless and mean spirited sitcom which was fresh for its time, and the acting (specifically George and Elaine) is top tier.  It’s the kind of show that revels in human shallowness and human pettiness. 

I love the show for many reasons but I think Elaine was the ultimate feminist icon for the 90’s and groundbreaking in terms of female characters in sitcoms - a legend and an icon!

party dancing GIF

It was a show that had never been done before -- average, flawed/messy people in a show about 'nothing' where they ended up in absurd..yet absurdly relatable situations. The acting was top tier and it was THE show as time went on that people talked about the next day at work and school.

The episode where Kramer finds the set of the Merv Griffin show in the dump and moves it into his apartment and pretends to have a talk show and the iconic Festivus episode are two of the funniest eps I remember watching of any series. Seinfeld is honestly probably the reason so many comedic shows embrace the absurd and untypical in humor. It opened the doors for breaking the rules of comedy in series and so many episodes are still hilarious today.

Im currently watching the show for the first time (I’m on season 6), and I’d say it’s because it was fresh at the time and relatable, it was cool that if you missed and episode it didn’t matter because you could enjoy next one with no worries, I also would say it’s very timeless, it doesn’t feel like a product of it’s time 

and lastly, the characters, they’re all great but particularly Elaine and George are top tier 

Edited by Gerardo

i tried this show before but couldn`t get past episode 5

But for some sitcom maybe it does not get good until season 2 when you`re more familiar with the character.

Unlike other sitcoms at the time, it displayed an advanced and intellectual type of humor. 

It was smart, edgy, different, relatable and timeless. 

someone once tried to make me watch this and i had to fake laugh to not make them feel awkward. 1/10 would not recommend :gaycat:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.