Dido has sold more album than Kesha and Katy combined… surprised?

Julia Fox

8 hours ago, Trent W said:

Katy’s and Kesha’s achievements were basically single’s digital sales, because they were from that era. Both were terrible album sellers.

idk about Kesha but the reality is Teenage Dream is a classic album that is still charting at least in the anglosphere to this day (only Adele, Bruno and Eminem outsold Katy at her peak), PRISM was the biggest female album of 2013, etc.

Context is needed, outside of Adele, album sales were terrible during the digital era.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Julia Fox

• Bloodflowers.

• Sharapov

• PopKills

4 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

The way I streamed this track all day and was in fear after that bald bastard attacked Ukraine...

Hurricanes hits harder these days since I haven’t seen a lot of my best friends since February :'(

11 minutes ago, Rodrighost said:

idk about Kesha but the reality is Teenage Dream is a classic album that is still charting at least in the anglosphere to this day (only Adele, Bruno and Eminem outsold Katy at her peak), PRISM was the biggest female album of 2013, etc.

Context is needed, outside of Adele, album sales were terrible during the digital era.

Teenage dream has many classics but it is recognized because of those classics not as a body of work. And those classics push the album still on this day on the charts.

The difference between an album artist like Dido and a single seller like Katy is that Dido is known to throw full bodies of work in albums, Katy was and is more about getting a hit or two per album or whatever sticks to the wall and move on to the next.

That’s the main reason why Katy declined so fast after Prism.

14 minutes ago, Rodrighost said:

Yeah album sales were way lower at that time but they were not terrible to justify the lower sales that Katy had in comparison to her singles to be honest… Katy was a single seller that was pushed to death with any single she puts out, she had the top producers and was at any award show… it’s curious to think that even with that none of her albums sold at least 10M… I mean it was harder but it wasn’t a reach by any means… Adele, Gaga, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Taylor, Frozen soundtrack, Coldplay, Michael Bubble, Justin Bieber managed to sell 10M pure copies without the amount of hits -and promo- that Katy had… the narrative of the digital sales era is just an excuse tbh 

The US failed Dido. She was big elsewhere and not at all an indie songwriter :rip: 

1 hour ago, Julia Fox said:

Yeah album sales were way lower at that time but they were not terrible to justify the lower sales that Katy had in comparison to her singles to be honest… Katy was a single seller that was pushed to death with any single she puts out, she had the top producers and was at any award show… it’s curious to think that even with that none of her albums sold at least 10M… I mean it was harder but it wasn’t a reach by any means… Adele, Gaga, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Taylor, Frozen soundtrack, Coldplay, Michael Bubble, Justin Bieber managed to sell 10M pure copies without the amount of hits -and promo- that Katy had… the narrative of the digital sales era is just an excuse tbh 

Okay still Katy destroys Dido in everything but album sales; single sales, tour gross, profit in general, celebrity status, etc. and overall sold much more units than Dido so she won.

1 minute ago, PopKills said:

Okay still Katy destroys Dido in everything but album sales; single sales, tour gross, profit in general, celebrity status, etc. and overall sold much more units than Dido so she won.

The difference is that Dido didn’t wanted to be a celebrity, didn’t wanted to be huge, didnt meant to be a pop star… she never meant anything… she only made music because she was passionate about it but never liked fame, never meant to be famous and not even meant to be the one of the best selling UK female artists of ALL TIME unlike Katy that always wanted fame, success and be a celebrity and she got it but lost it -and also never was the BEST or the HUGE that her and her label aimed her to be considering all the money invested in her- and also by then she lost herself tho -glad she found herself again anyway tho- while Dido has always been the same normal woman that with a microphone, a band and her guitar made the world fall in love with her and also gained respect from critics and the music industry…

I don’t think that’s a win for her… because Dido and Katy ambitions were just polar opposites and in the long run considering all… Katy feels below Dido overall 

3 minutes ago, HauntinglyHollow said:

How do I not know who this is or what songs they sing :clown:

So are you shook?

1 hour ago, Julia Fox said:

The difference is that Dido didn’t wanted to be a celebrity, didn’t wanted to be huge, didnt meant to be a pop star… she never meant anything… she only made music because she was passionate about it but never liked fame, never meant to be famous and not even meant to be the one of the best selling UK female artists of ALL TIME unlike Katy that always wanted fame, success and be a celebrity and she got it but lost it -and also never was the BEST or the HUGE that her and her label aimed her to be considering all the money invested in her- and also by then she lost herself tho -glad she found herself again anyway tho- while Dido has always been the same normal woman that with a microphone, a band and her guitar made the world fall in love with her and also gained respect from critics and the music industry…

I don’t think that’s a win for her… because Dido and Katy ambitions were just polar opposites and in the long run considering all… Katy feels below Dido overall 

Yeah no, the whole ‚never wanted to be successful/famous‘ shtick is so old and people fall for it everytime. If she truly didn’t want all that she wouldn’t have signed with a label, wouldn’t have gone on tour, wouldn’t have performed on Talk Shows etc.. I mean after she made her money she literally retired for a decade, that’s not called passion for music. Also idk what she and Katy did different promo wise, both promoted their songs on TV shows, went on tour etc.. And yes, she sold an amazing amount of albums but that’s just a part of the industry, her peers have songs that are so much more remembered which is all that matters nowadays.

Katy wanted to be successful but never made a secret of it and she definitely was passionate about her music, I mean she co-wrote ALL of her music, had creative control about all videos, her image etc., so she was very passionate about her art. And Teenage Dream literally was the best selling female album of 2010 along with CG being the biggest hit of 2010, so neither does the single-Artist excuse work nor can you say Katy never was the biggest gurl in the game because she was and the receipts are out there. Also after Witness and all the ‚flop‘ singles Katy never gave up on music and released what she wanted to with no chart pressure. 

Dido seems like a nice woman tho and both artists make completely different music from different eras and succeeded on different metrics I guess so the comparison of OP is super random anyway so that’s all I‘m gonna say.

10 minutes ago, PopKills said:

Yeah no, the whole ‚never wanted to be successful/famous‘ shtick is so old and people fall for it everytime. If she truly didn’t want all that she wouldn’t have signed with a label, wouldn’t have gone on tour, wouldn’t have performed on Talk Shows etc.. I mean after she made her money she literally retired for a decade, that’s not called passion for music. Also idk what she and Katy did different promo wise, both promoted their songs on TV shows, went on tour etc.. And yes, she sold an amazing amount of albums but that’s just a part of the industry, her peers have songs that are so much more remembered which is all that matters nowadays.

Katy wanted to be successful but never made a secret of it and she definitely was passionate about her music, I mean she co-wrote ALL of her music, had creative control about all videos, her image etc., so she was very passionate about her art. And Teenage Dream literally was the best selling female album of 2010 along with CG being the biggest hit of 2010, so neither does the single-Artist excuse work nor can you say Katy never was the biggest gurl in the game because she was and the receipts are out there. Also after Witness and all the ‚flop‘ singles Katy never gave up on music and released what she wanted to with no chart pressure. 

Dido seems like a nice woman tho and both artists make completely different music from different eras and succeeded on different metrics I guess so the comparison of OP is super random anyway so that’s all I‘m gonna say.

She have never retired from 10 years lol… she have 5 albums… one released on 1999, other on 2003, then on 2008, then on 2013 and the last on 2019 and huge gaps doesn’t necessarily equal to not be passionate about music lol also she toured for her first two albums back to back non stop while her third she didn’t because the album was so dark and talked about her father who passed away which she said was difficult while on her fourth album she didn’t tour because her son was literally 2 years old so she didn’t wanted to let him alone and then she toured on 2019 because it was the perfect timing… by the way she started to make her debut album because his brother who was a member of the electronica UK group Faithless challenge her to record an album just for fun while she was studying law on London while working as a literature agent and then his brother sent the demos to Cheeky/Arista secretly and that’s how everything turned into release her album first on the US with very little and minimal promotion… then Eminem listened to Thank You on an indie radio station and said he wanted to sample the song and that’s when her fame came on UK and WW… nothing on Dido's career was wanted or planned, everything was just organic… even she was obligated by her label to make a follow up as fast as she can and that’s when Life For Rent came even when she said she didn’t felt confident enough about that record so by any means she wanted to be famous or let alone be successful… 

instead of doing some assumptions please do some research…

2 hours ago, Julia Fox said:

She have never retired from 10 years lol… she have 5 albums… one released on 1999, other on 2003, then on 2008, then on 2013 and the last on 2019 and huge gaps doesn’t necessarily equal to not be passionate about music lol also she toured for her first two albums back to back non stop while her third she didn’t because the album was so dark and talked about her father who passed away which she said was difficult while on her fourth album she didn’t tour because her son was literally 2 years old so she didn’t wanted to let him alone and then she toured on 2019 because it was the perfect timing… by the way she started to make her debut album because his brother who was a member of the electronica UK group Faithless challenge her to record an album just for fun while she was studying law on London while working as a literature agent and then his brother sent the demos to Cheeky/Arista secretly and that’s how everything turned into release her album first on the US with very little and minimal promotion… then Eminem listened to Thank You on an indie radio station and said he wanted to sample the song and that’s when her fame came on UK and WW… nothing on Dido's career was wanted or planned, everything was just organic… even she was obligated by her label to make a follow up as fast as she can and that’s when Life For Rent came even when she said she didn’t felt confident enough about that record so by any means she wanted to be famous or let alone be successful… 

instead of doing some assumptions please do some research…

Dido literally dragged the fame she received on Life for Rent (the song) :deadbanana2:

Julia fox sweetie its not even worth it with that delulu katy stan

20 minutes ago, Sharapov said:

Julia fox sweetie its not even worth it with that delulu katy stan

Yea I see… to think that katycat said that Katy co wrote all her songs like if Dido haven’t lol also Dido co produce all of her music and play a lot of instruments on her live shows and actually can sing live without trying to do higher note just to make her performance awful lol… 

I should have known but Ty 

Dido is a legend - slander won't be tolerated.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:23 PM, PopKills said:

she was very passionate about her art. And Teenage Dream literally was the best selling female album of 2010 along with CG being the biggest hit of 2010, so neither does the single-Artist excuse work nor can you say Katy never was the biggest gurl in the game because she was and the receipts are out there.

She went from an indie pop rock girl, with controversial songs like Ur So Gay and down-to-earth and sincere style, to a mainstream pop girl, with radio-friendly and more appeling songs with an overdone image, with the help from two of the IT pop producers. If she didn't sell herself, then I don't know what she did.

2 hours ago, prézli said:

She went from an indie pop rock girl, with controversial songs like Ur So Gay and down-to-earth and sincere style, to a mainstream pop girl, with radio-friendly and more appeling songs with an overdone image, with the help from two of the IT pop producers. If she didn't sell herself, then I don't know what she did.

That's why Thinking of You still remains her best song :jonnycat:

On 6/25/2022 at 3:08 AM, kyliefever2002 said:

i mean was kesha ever really that strong with pure sales? im actually surprised she has almost 10m i thought itd be in the 5m range 

Rainbow brought her closer to album-artist territory and Animal is a big legacy seller, especially with SPS.

But yeah, up until Rainbow she didn’t really sell albums.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, naval23 said:

Dido was the 90s Adele on a smaller scale

No Angel and Life for Rent were her 21 and 25 

White Flag is her Hello while Thank You is her Someone Like You

Basically this lol. Dido's selling power was immense and Katy and Kesha were never known as albums artists (quite the opposite). This comparison is apples and oranges, literally.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:40 AM, superben said:

The US failed Dido. She was big elsewhere and not at all an indie songwriter :rip: 

The US did not fail Dido...? She was huge there too. "Thank You" was a massive hit and No Angel sold over 4M copies. Then "White Flag", despite only peaking at #18, was Top 40 on the Year-End Hot 100, and 'Life for Rent' sold over 2M copies.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:14 AM, Trent W said:

Teenage dream has many classics but it is recognized because of those classics not as a body of work. And those classics push the album still on this day on the charts.

The difference between an album artist like Dido and a single seller like Katy is that Dido is known to throw full bodies of work in albums, Katy was and is more about getting a hit or two per album or whatever sticks to the wall and move on to the next.

That’s the main reason why Katy declined so fast after Prism.

While Dido is in a different category as far as being an artist and delivering bodies of work, Dido's decline was actually much bigger than Katy's, and I would argue she was MORE hit-dependent than Katy. "Thank You", "Here With Me" and "White Flag" were the smashes that sold her first two albums. When she didn't get a hit with the third album, her sales declined by like 90%.

Dido = 30 M

Katy and Kesha = 30M 

How is that "more"?? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.