Beyoncé's "4" is the 3rd biggest female album released in 2011. Surprised?

Green

Based on total equivalent album units in the US, Beyoncé's 4 is the 3rd biggest female album released in 2011:

Adele - 21.png

Grayscale image of a bike against a black background. The bike has a blond woman's head at its front, whose right hand stretches out to the front tires of the bike. The words "Born This Way" is embossed above the image.A woman is shown with her arms raised above her head.

Rihanna - Talk That Talk (standard).pngA woman holding a golden strip in her fist next to her mouth

1. Adele - 21: eligible for 16x Platinum  (16.4 million units by October of 2021)

2. Lady Gaga - Born This Way:  4x Platinum

3. Beyoncé - 4:  eligible for 4x Platinum  (4.1 million units by June of 2022)

4. Rihanna - Talk That Talk:  3x Platinum

5. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger: eligible for 2x Platinum

Now, not much anymore. 

But looking back in 2011, I would have never believed that. 

She had no top 10, ONE top 20 and her numbers are close to people having huge #1 hits that year. Pop radio didn't touch a single song after RTW's disastrous reception. 

Incredible what this album has been able to achieve. :clap3:

Interesting how y’all sleep on Kelly yet she’s here but two other pop girls y’all praise who :gaycat3:released this year is nowhere to be found on this list:ducky:

No, I'm not. It's Bey's best album :smitten:

see when you make timeless music [2]

Its her 2nd best and amongst the best overall from that year so I'm not surprised :cm: 

Nope! Incredible album had the last laugh

:clap3:

the fact it was put on the same level as bionic by haters

time the ultimate truth teller 

her most timeless album i fear 

It is more surprising Rihanna doing those numbers releasing yearly, and was labeled a singles artist back in the day.

The girls will go silent on this.

It's a quality body of work, even though the era started with probably her worst lead single :eli: 

Worldwide:

Adele - 21 - 47,870,000

Lady Gaga - Born This Way - 13,160,000

Rihanna - Talk That Talk - 10,680,000

Beyonce - 4 - 9,310,000

Kelly Clarkson - Stronger - 5,660,000

Britney Spears - Femme Fatale - 4,770,000

Jennifer Lopez - Love? - 4,660,000

Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby - 4,270,000

Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures - 4,000,000

Selena Gomez & the Scene - When the Sun Goes Down - 3,580,000

Demi Lovato - Unbroken - 2,530,000

Bonus - 2010 eras that carried over into 2011:

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream: 22,910,000

Rihanna - Loud: 15,640,000

Taylor Swift - Speak Now: 11,740,000

Shakira - Sale El Sol: 7,000,000

4 is :flame:so not surprised at all

That top five is full of queens btw :worship:

It's kind of insane the longevity this album has had. Especially considering it had no Hot 100 hit and has more SPS than albums with some of the biggest hits of all time.

Timeless music won. It's the 2nd most streamed female album of 2011 as well, behind 21  :jonny2: I think the subsequent releases of ST and Lemonade and her transition into an album's artisté really helped it in the long run

The biggest shocker for me is Stronger being bigger than Femme Fatale when the latter had 3 top 10s. I thought it'd at least be 2x platinum

I am not surprised in the sense that a lot of people seem to say this is their fave Beyoncé album, but based on the performance of the singles and the reaction to it people had at the time, it is surprising. Though even in 2011 there was an air of excellence about it. People who were not even into Beyoncé flocked to Countdown and I think it made a lot of people look at her with more interest then, which I guess was the goal?

It's notable as well that both 21 and 4 (numerical titles, too!) went against the grain of pop trends and still managed to become two of the biggest albums of that year all these years later, which just shows that following a trend isn't necessarily the best move, timelessness, quality, and sticking to your own artistic merits will get you farther (though 21 is admittedly way bigger and was hugely popular at that time, I think due to the fact that it was a refreshing change from all the rather generic dancepop whereas 4 was seen as not living up to the expectations of an already iconic superstar who should be topping charts along with all her other peers doing the same).

54 minutes ago, Power love said:

Interesting how y’all sleep on Kelly yet she’s here but two other pop girls y’all praise who :gaycat3:released this year is nowhere to be found on this list:ducky:

in the end Kelly always wins :pancake:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.